German Viernheim cinema complex 'attacked by gunman'

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• German Viernheim cinema complex 'attacked by gunman'

Heavily armed police have surrounded a cinema complex in western Germany amid reports that a gunman has barricaded himself inside.

German media reports suggest a man fired at least one shot at the Kinopolis complex in Viernheim, near Frankfurt.

At least 20 people are said have been injured, many reportedly as the result of a release of tear gas.
    BBC - Article

More updates as they come in.

Police: 'threat situation' at movie theater in Germany

BERLIN (AP) — Police said Thursday that there is a "threat situation" at a movie theater in a town in southwestern Germany which probably involves a weapon.

Police spokeswoman Christiane Kobus said she couldn't give further details of what was happening at the Kinopolis movie theater in the town of Viernheim.

She would not confirm unsourced German media reports that an armed man had entered the movie theater and fired at least one shot.
    AP - Article

Comment

Seem's the attacker is now dead: BBC

Here's the Mannheimer Morgen report (in German): http://www.morgenweb.de/region/sudhe...ssen-1.2839534

Comment

A few minutes ago they were reporting he had been captured, now he is reported as dead. Apparently something happened in between these two reports....

Comment

Obviously German gun control laws are too lax...
          Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.

Comment

The twitterverse is in its usual spastic state
            Casualties reported somewhere between 0 and 50
            Gunman armed or possibly not
            Gunman white nationalist or possibly not

Comment

Originally posted by Skoblin View Post
              The twitterverse is in its usual spastic state
              Casualties reported somewhere between 0 and 50
              Gunman armed or possibly not
              I loathe social media in situations like this. They cause such panic and dramatically increase the burden on emergency services.
              Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.

Comment

Originally posted by Arnold J Rimmer View Post
                Maybe not.

German source, obviously things could change.

http://www.thelocal.de/20160623/police

The masked man entered a multiplex cinema in the small town just north of Mannheim. Focus is reporting he was armed only with a blank firing gun.
                Injuries might have been from panic. Reports of teargas etc.

Public broadcaster Hessischer Rundfunk and Bild daily said that at least 25 people were hurt through teargas.
                “The time has come,” the Walrus said,
                “To talk of many things:
                Of shoes—and ships—and sealing-wax—
                Of cabbages—and kings—
                And why the sea is boiling hot—
                And whether pigs have wings.”
                ― Lewis Carroll

Comment

A few minutes ago they were reporting he had been captured, now he is reported as dead. Apparently something happened in between these two reports....
                  Yeah, I saw that. I think things developed so fast and was resolved just as quickly that they were scrambling to get answers. I didn't even have time to report on the capture here before other sources were reporting him dead.

Either/or, it seems the danger of further violence is over for now.

Comment

I loathe social media in situations like this. They cause such panic and dramatically increase the burden on emergency services.
                    Well, I don't think emergency services get their cues from twitter. Most of the panic involved is virtual panic - people frantically retweeting tweets in the comfort of their living room.

Comment

Yes they are
                      Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe (H G Wells)
                      Mit der Dummheit kaempfen Goetter selbst vergebens (Friedrich von Schiller)

Comment

Well, I don't think emergency services get their cues from twitter. Most of the panic involved is virtual panic - people frantically retweeting tweets in the comfort of their living room.
                        And people calling in to friends and family to make sure they're okay because they're within a few hundred miles of Germany.

"No, mom, I'm fine. I'm in Munchen. No, it's in Bavaria. Yes, I know it is still in Germany. And yes, I know I used to love going to movies with you..."

Comment

As with thread involving the Labour MP shot in Britain, please do not turn this thread into a debate about gun control laws. - ACG staff

Comment

Sounds like a confused muddle all round
                            Gun man had a long gun but still not known if it is real or nor (so did he fire shots or not?)
                            Police thought he had hostages but aren't sure (although when they file their reports doubtless they'll be absolutely confident)
                            Injuries so far appear to be due to the tear gas and resultant panic.
                            Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe (H G Wells)
                            Mit der Dummheit kaempfen Goetter selbst vergebens (Friedrich von Schiller)

Comment

Originally posted by MarkV View Post
                              Sounds like a confused muddle all round
                              Gun man had a long gun but still not known if it is real or nor (so did he fire shots or not?)
                              Police thought he had hostages but aren't sure (although when they file their reports doubtless they'll be absolutely confident)
                              Injuries so far appear to be due to the tear gas and resultant panic.
                              Reports now seem to suggest he was armed with either a gas pistol or a fake gun.

However, CNN is taking this opportunity to remind you about ISIS.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X