At least 1,300 Islamic extremists return to Europe from Syria

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• At least 1,300 Islamic extremists return to Europe from Syria

Ten young Muslim men, bored by a mundane life in France and haunted by a “feeling of uselessness,” as one put it, were seduced by a leading Islamic State recruiter in Europe in 2013. Within months, they were in Syria under the watchful eyes of hooded, Kalashnikov-wielding militants, doing push-ups, fiddling with weapons and imbibing the ideology.

But the harsh regimen, most have since told investigators, was not to their liking, and it was not long before they hastened back to their families in the Strasbourg area, where they were almost immediately picked up by the French authorities.

What to do with hundreds, perhaps thousands, of such young men in Europe is now among the biggest challenges facing governments and security services.
    After the Paris and Brussels terrorist attacks, which were carried out in part by Europeans who had spent time in Syria with the Islamic State, France and other countries are grappling with how far to go in tightening laws to prosecute, monitor and restrict the movements of returnees.
    At the heart of the debate is whether to take pre-emptive legal action against people who have not committed terrorist acts or even been implicated in a plot, but who have simply been to Syria and possibly received training in Islamic State camps.
    Several urgent factors have propelled the debate: the steeper risks of terrorist attacks, the fact that monitoring the sheer numbers who have returned is overwhelming security services, and the difficulty of building cases against suspects who may have been trained and indoctrinated in distant lands.
    At least 14 European countries have made receiving terrorism training a criminal offense. Nine have made travel from the war zones of Syria and Iraq an offense.
    http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/...YAm?li=BBnb7Kz
    Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies.

Originally posted by Urban hermit View Post
    Ten young Muslim men, bored by a mundane life in France and haunted by a “feeling of uselessness,” as one put it, were seduced by a leading Islamic State recruiter in Europe in 2013. Within months, they were in Syria under the watchful eyes of hooded, Kalashnikov-wielding militants, doing push-ups, fiddling with weapons and imbibing the ideology.

But the harsh regimen, most have since told investigators, was not to their liking, and it was not long before they hastened back to their families in the Strasbourg area, where they were almost immediately picked up by the French authorities.

What to do with hundreds, perhaps thousands, of such young men in Europe is now among the biggest challenges facing governments and security services.

After the Paris and Brussels terrorist attacks, which were carried out in part by Europeans who had spent time in Syria with the Islamic State, France and other countries are grappling with how far to go in tightening laws to prosecute, monitor and restrict the movements of returnees.
    At the heart of the debate is whether to take pre-emptive legal action against people who have not committed terrorist acts or even been implicated in a plot, but who have simply been to Syria and possibly received training in Islamic State camps.
    Several urgent factors have propelled the debate: the steeper risks of terrorist attacks, the fact that monitoring the sheer numbers who have returned is overwhelming security services, and the difficulty of building cases against suspects who may have been trained and indoctrinated in distant lands.
    At least 14 European countries have made receiving terrorism training a criminal offense. Nine have made travel from the war zones of Syria and Iraq an offense.
    http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/...YAm?li=BBnb7Kz
    Personally I think we should invoke the old collaboration laws.

IS is a state after all, we're already bombing it, just declare war on it.

Anyone who consorts with the enemy in time of war can be convicted with existing law, death penalty included (although in most cases not desired.)

No new laws required.

Distinction should be made between Belgians who go to fight in the ME and those that return to Europe to commit atrocities here, the former being treated more leniently than the latter to discourage them from coming back and encourage them leave for good.

Strangely enough I seem to be rather alone in that opinion.
    Last edited by Snowygerry; 27 Apr 16, 04:23.
    Lambert of Montaigu - Crusader.

Bolgios - Mercenary Game.

Comment

Originally posted by Snowygerry View Post

Anyone who consorts with the enemy in time of war can be convicted with existing law, death penalty included (although in most cases not desired.)

No new laws required.

Distinction should be made between Belgians who go to fight in the ME and those that return to Europe to commit atrocities here, the former being treated more leniently than the latter to discourage them from coming back and encourage them leave for good.

Your not that alone, I think your right on the mark.
      Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies.

Comment

No new laws required.

That sounds reasonable enough to me. The ISIS problem is not going to just go away.
        Don't waste your time always searching for those wasted years...

Comment

No new laws required.

I've argued before that war-time treason laws should be applied. ISIS has stated it is at war with Europe/western nations. If a citizen of any such nation would take the mantle of ISIS against their fellow citizen, then it can be called nothing else but treasonous and charged accordingly.

Examples must be made, but it seems most would be content to treat and prosecute it as a civil matter. Completely wrong approach, IMO. Political expedience trumps common sense security.
          You'll live, only the best get killed.

-General Charles de Gaulle

Comment

They'll do nothing other than talk about solidarity. Schengen and cheap labour is more important though because the stock market price of corporations and the money they bribe I mean pay to lobby government to get EU directives that favour them and so they can keep their jobs and pensions must be maintained.
            Last edited by copenhagen; 01 May 16, 11:05.

Comment

Terrorism is a crime against humanity and it should be dealt with by death.

My worst jump story:
              My 13th jump was on the 13th day of the month, aircraft number 013.
              As recorded on my DA Form 1307 Individual Jump Log.
              No lie.

~
              "Everything looks all right. Have a good jump, eh."
              -2 Commando Jumpmaster

Comment

Originally posted by 101combatvet View Post
                Terrorism is a crime against humanity and it should be dealt with by death.

Watch out someone will call you a racist....

Comment

You would think that if anyone would understand the danger of not stopping a apocalyptic cult that believes in exterminating all opposition it would be Europe.
                  The threat that these group pose is no different than that of the Nazis and Facism.

Comment

Originally posted by Urban hermit View Post
                    You would think that if anyone would understand the danger of not stopping a apocalyptic cult that believes in exterminating all opposition it would be Europe.
                    The threat that these group pose is no different than that of the Nazis and Facism.
                    Words that would be used against you for this piece of logic are scaremongering , racist, bigot etc...
                    The Social Justice Warriors on the left right up to people
                    like Angela Merkyll are masochsim selling sadists.

Comment

Originally posted by copenhagen View Post
                      Watch out someone will call you a racist....
                      .... waiting.
                      My worst jump story:
                      My 13th jump was on the 13th day of the month, aircraft number 013.
                      As recorded on my DA Form 1307 Individual Jump Log.
                      No lie.

~
                      "Everything looks all right. Have a good jump, eh."
                      -2 Commando Jumpmaster

Comment

Originally posted by 101combatvet View Post
                        .... waiting.
                        Give it time

Comment

The problem is that a serious discussion about that topic in Europe is impossible. And here are my reasons why:
                          1. Those guys aren't real Muslims. No real Scotsman would ever do that.
                          2. Making assumptions on why it happened is a disgrace to the victims, we should mourn them OR make discussions how we can stop evil right-wingers from talking about such events.
                          3. They were good boys who didn't do nothing. It is the evil racist society which doesn't spoon-feed them enough so they became like that.
                          4. Forced conversions, crusades and the inquisition. Christians behaved like that centuries ago, thats why we never ever are allowed to critizise islam.

Comment

Originally posted by copenhagen View Post
                            Words that would be used against you for this piece of logic are scaremongering , racist, bigot etc...
                            The Social Justice Warriors on the left right up to people
                            like Angela Merkyll are masochsim selling sadists.
                            I believe that was the talk of the town in 1933

Comment

What would people like these returnees to do afterwards? The answer to that one would tend to give some pointers to what kind of measures should probably be adopted. (There's a bit in there about WHY they returned in the first place as well, which since it migh differ would give different things to work with.)

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X