Army captain dies running the London marathon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Army captain dies running the London marathon

A captain from the Royal Marines artillery died yesterday running the London Marathon.

Few details as yet but he appears to have collapsed at mile 23.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-36129283
    "To be free is better than to be unfree - always."

Seen it happen on the Marine Corps Marathon years ago. The runner was a young woman and on the Haines Point leg of the run, at the time that may have been around mile marker 19.
    My worst jump story:
    My 13th jump was on the 13th day of the month, aircraft number 013.
    As recorded on my DA Form 1307 Individual Jump Log.
    No lie.

~
    "Everything looks all right. Have a good jump, eh."
    -2 Commando Jumpmaster

Comment

On average someone dies during London every other year. Unusual for a 31 year old green beret to though I would have thought.

The ones who died in 12 and 14 had both been drinking some dodgy sports drink during the race. I only drink water but do have a couple of gels after half way.

Comment

Originally posted by Surrey View Post
        On average someone dies during London every other year. Unusual for a 31 year old green beret to though I would have thought.

The ones who died in 12 and 14 had both been drinking some dodgy sports drink during the race. I only drink water but do have a couple of gels after half way.
        There are many factors that can cause this. Some people do a bad train up prior that can lead to this, others just push themselves into the ground. Still only 1 in 100,000 die as a result.
        My worst jump story:
        No lie.

~
        -2 Commando Jumpmaster

Comment

Originally posted by 101combatvet View Post
          There are many factors that can cause this. Some people do a bad train up prior that can lead to this, others just push themselves into the ground. Still only 1 in 100,000 die as a result.
          Just need to make sure I am not one of them next Monday!

Comment

I'd suspect dehydration as a primary cause.
            Tacitos, Satrap of Kyrene

Comment

Originally posted by TacCovert4 View Post
              I'd suspect dehydration as a primary cause.
              Your legs start to cramp up before you come close to death, I would say it was probably more sudden than that. Like heart failure.
              My worst jump story:
              No lie.

~
              -2 Commando Jumpmaster

Comment

Just need to make sure I am not one of them next Monday!
                No how to pace yourself and don't sprint the finish like I do.
                My worst jump story:
                No lie.

~
                -2 Commando Jumpmaster

Comment

Moral of the story, exercise is bad for you...

Comment

Hi

Prelim reports state it was a cardiac arrest.

What no-one knows if he had any pre-existing conditions, un-diagnosed ailments or other lifestyle choices that could have exacerbated any or all of the above.

His funding page has received donations upwards of 15k since the sad news. The family have stated that they're going to complete the marathon on his behalf/memory.

Regards

Andy H
                    "You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life." Churchill

"I'm no reactionary.Christ on the Mountain! I'm as idealistic as Hell" Eisenhower

Comment

Originally posted by Andy H View Post
                      Hi

What no-one knows if he had any pre-existing conditions, un-diagnosed ailments or other lifestyle choices that could have exacerbated any or all of the above.

His funding page has received donations upwards of 15k since the sad news. The family have stated that they're going to complete the marathon on his behalf/memory.

Regards

Andy H
                      It usually is.
                      My worst jump story:
                      No lie.

~
                      -2 Commando Jumpmaster

Comment

Still seems like a high numbet of deaths. The comrads has had only 8 (thechncaly 7 one guy had a viral infection) deaths since 1921. The temps are higher, course longer and it a steeper. Of course the comrads has madtory cut off points and every one there must have completed a few mathrons. But still seems like the deaths in the london marthon seem rather high at 1 every 2 years.
                        you think you a real "bleep" solders you "bleep" plastic solders don't wory i will make you in to real "bleep" solders!! "bleep" plastic solders

CPO Mzinyati

Comment

Originally posted by andrewza View Post
                          Still seems like a high numbet of deaths. The comrads has had only 8 (thechncaly 7 one guy had a viral infection) deaths since 1921. The temps are higher, course longer and it a steeper. Of course the comrads has madtory cut off points and every one there must have completed a few mathrons. But still seems like the deaths in the london marthon seem rather high at 1 every 2 years.
                          Those doing Comrades are going to be much more experienced and better prepared than your average marathon runner. Comrades is a 56 mile ultra.
                          Some of the articles mention that the captain was singing as he ran so not sure how seriously he was taking it.

Comment

Originally posted by Andy H View Post
                            Hi

Regards

Andy H
                            There have been sufficient deaths or near deaths on sports fields of late to suggest that even young super fit people can have potentially fatal heart defects lurking undiagnosed. There was that professional footballer who's heart stopped in the middle of a match and we've just had an England test cricketer have to retire from the sport because it was found that he had the same defect
                            Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe (H G Wells)
                            Mit der Dummheit kaempfen Goetter selbst vergebens (Friedrich von Schiller)

Comment

Originally posted by andrewza View Post
                              Not when you consider the out of shape people that run in them, or should I say walk in them.
                              My worst jump story:
                              No lie.

~
                              -2 Commando Jumpmaster

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X