Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ANother story of Scandinavian tolerance

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-eu...-idUSKCN0XI1MZ

"Some child brides are living with older husbands in asylum centers in Scandinavia, triggering a furor about lapses in protection for girls in nations that ban child marriage.

Authorities have in some cases let girls stay with their partners, believing it is less traumatic for them than forced separation after fleeing wars in nations such as Afghanistan or Syria.

Some girls have also passed themselves off as adults.

Both these issues have caused unease in Scandinavia, where critics say that the authorities risk complicity in child abuse."

I mean man, tolerance is funny and ****, but this is taking it to far. Opinions?

Absolutely taking it too far. You come to a new nation and expect to stay there then you follow that nations laws and customs. If you don't want to lose your child bride then don't move to a civilized country where such things are banned. You can't have it both ways.

People forget that tolerance is also a two way street and as much as "refugees" have culture that needs to be respected so does the West. This whole thing reminds me of then commander of British forces in India, Sir Charles Napier's response to Hindu complaints against the British ban on their practice of burning widows alive while cremating their husband's body.

"Be it so. This burning of widows is your custom; prepare the funeral pile. But my nation has also a custom. When men burn women alive we hang them, and confiscate all their property. My carpenters shall therefore erect gibbets on which to hang all concerned when the widow is consumed. Let us all act according to national customs."

The same logic applies here. Sure you can marry a 9 year old but we'll throw you in jail for it.
    Last edited by frisco17; 21 Apr 16, 09:47.
    "Artillery lends dignity to what might otherwise be a vulgar brawl." - Frederick the Great

Comment

Originally posted by frisco17 View Post
      Absolutely taking it too far. You come to a new nation and expect to stay there then you follow that nations laws and customs. If you don't want to lose your child bride then don't move to a civilized country where such things are banned. You can't have it both ways.

People forget that tolerance is also a two way street and as much as "refugees" have culture that needs to be respected so does the West. This whole thing reminds me of then commander of British forces in India, Sir Charles Napier's response to Hindu complaints against the British ban on their practice of burning widows alive while cremating their husband's body.

"Be it so. This burning of widows is your custom; prepare the funeral pile. But my nation has also a custom. When men burn women alive we hang them, and confiscate all their property. My carpenters shall therefore erect gibbets on which to hang all concerned when the widow is consumed. Let us all act according to national customs."

The same logic applies here. Sure you can marry a 9 year old but we'll throw you in jail for it.
      Well said!
      "The thing about quotes on the internet is that you cannot confirm their
      validity." - Abraham Lincoln.
      "Nothing's going to change while one side it lying about the cause and the other is lying about the solution" - Me

Comment

A few such cases happened here and although they can and are separated legally *inside* the asylum centres if they get out it becomes very difficult,

those marriages are legal in many countries after all, and Belgian law recognizes foreign marriages by bilateral agreement.

In one notable case the under aged bride went on hunger strike after being separated from her husband, and arguably a married under aged girl among a bunch of Muslims might just be better off than an unmarried one
        Lambert of Montaigu - Crusader.

Bolgios - Mercenary Game.

Comment

So how is this NOT a story about stuff that goes on in various not-so-well-off parts of the world?

Or is it that people want this to stop in Scandinavia in particular somehow? Since there might be about 15 million marriages of underage girls yearly in the world:
          https://www.plan-international.fr/in...riees-de-force

Are we out to stop that? Or just stop them from turning up in Scandinavia specifically, since that's how the world works these days? Or is it just a snippet of contextless info that somehow is supposed to reflect badly on things Scandinavian — since clearly it should fail for giving a toss about any part of anything about this, right?

People think this a "special" Scandinavian problem somehow?

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/10/14/op...e-problem.html

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk...-a6889071.html

http://www.liberation.fr/societe/201...me-pas_1348790

(OK, I won't pick on the Germans here, since they might actually be struggling with some stuff at this point.)

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
          X