An American intruder in Scotland

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• An American intruder in Scotland

A raccoon has been photographed in a Scottish wood. No one has any idea where it came from or how it got there. It is being sought in case there is more than one. It is reckoned if raccoons start breeding in Britain the impact will be worse than the grey squirrel or the mink. It has no natural predators here.
    Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe (H G Wells)
    Mit der Dummheit kaempfen Goetter selbst vergebens (Friedrich von Schiller)

Originally posted by MarkV View Post
    A raccoon has been photographed in a Scottish wood. No one has any idea where it came from or how it got there. It is being sought in case there is more than one. It is reckoned if raccoons start breeding in Britain the impact will be worse than the grey squirrel or the mink. It has no natural predators here.
    It is not necessarily American in the sense as being from the USA unless you are referring to North America. Racoons are also indigenous to Canada.

Comment

Originally posted by PitchRate View Post
      It is not necessarily American in the sense as being from the USA unless you are referring to North America. Racoons are also indigenous to Canada.
      Ehh

Comment

Unless the animal is a threat to humans or livestock what does it matter? I think all this fuss over the grey squirrel is pointless and counterproductive. Animals naturally spread from one region to another, and when they do they either displace the local fauna or are forced back.
        "To be free is better than to be unfree - always."

Comment

What's the problem? It's in Scotland... Doesn't that just make it a new kind of livestock?

Comment

I'll trade you that raccoon for all the Starlings we have here.
            My worst jump story:
            My 13th jump was on the 13th day of the month, aircraft number 013.
            As recorded on my DA Form 1307 Individual Jump Log.
            No lie.

~
            "Everything looks all right. Have a good jump, eh."
            -2 Commando Jumpmaster

Comment

It'll be just another food-source the jocks will deep fry in batter.

Paul
              ‘Tis said his form is tiny, yet
              All human ills he can subdue,
              Or with a bauble or medal
              Can win mans heart for you;
              And many a blessing know to stew
              To make a megloamaniac bright;
              Give honour to the dainty Corse,
              The Pixie is a little shite.

Comment

Someone should let it be known that Grey Squirrels are great tasting! You don't really need a gun to kill them. A Pellet Gun, a slingshot or even a rat trap works very well. My Brother killed one that was about ten feet above him one day when we were Deer Hunting. He had a little pump pellet pistol he used. My Grandfather walked up a few minutes later and told him about the Buck that took fright over the commotion.

My guess is there are a lot of grey haired old ladies in the UK that feed them and think they are cute. My Grandmother had a fig tree and a pear tree and it was a race between her and the varmints in whether she could get to the fruit before they could! The Squirrels cheated as they would cut them early.

Pruitt
                Pruitt, you are truly an expert! Kelt06

Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"

Comment

Originally posted by Pruitt View Post
                  Someone should let it be known that Grey Squirrels are great tasting! You don't really need a gun to kill them. A Pellet Gun, a slingshot or even a rat trap works very well. My Brother killed one that was about ten feet above him one day when we were Deer Hunting. He had a little pump pellet pistol he used. My Grandfather walked up a few minutes later and told him about the Buck that took fright over the commotion.

My guess is there are a lot of grey haired old ladies in the UK that feed them and think they are cute. My Grandmother had a fig tree and a pear tree and it was a race between her and the varmints in whether she could get to the fruit before they could! The Squirrels cheated as they would cut them early.

Pruitt
                  Aren't there raccoons in Germany? They escaped from a fur farm during the war?
                  "Sometimes its better to light a flamethrower than to curse the darkness" T Pratchett

Comment

Originally posted by Pruitt View Post
                    My guess is there are a lot of grey haired old ladies in the UK
                    They can be killed with a Pellet Gun as well (or a good push in the back at the top of a flight of stairs)
                    "The thing about quotes on the internet is that you cannot confirm their
                    validity." - Abraham Lincoln.
                    "Nothing's going to change while one side it lying about the cause and the other is lying about the solution" - Me

Comment

Originally posted by Dibble201Bty View Post
                      It'll be just another food-source the jocks will deep fry in batter.

Paul
                      Nonsense; there's no sugar in a raccoon so they won't eat it.
                      "Nothing's going to change while one side it lying about the cause and the other is lying about the solution" - Me

Comment

Originally posted by Surrey View Post
                        Unless the animal is a threat to humans or livestock what does it matter? I think all this fuss over the grey squirrel is pointless and counterproductive. Animals naturally spread from one region to another, and when they do they either displace the local fauna or are forced back.
                        We've almost completely lost the Red Squirrel population and the mink almost wiped out the water vole population. Two iconic British animals. With its very opportunistic habits and omnivorous diet the raccoon could do far more damage to native wild life. And BTW we're an island in case it sort of missed your notice so animals don't just naturally migrate here
                        Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe (H G Wells)

Comment

Originally posted by 101combatvet View Post
                          I'll trade you that raccoon for all the Starlings we have here.
                          Lovers of Shakespeare have a lot to answer for.

Comment

Well, you know what you have to do then.....
                            ALL LIVES SPLATTER!

BLACK JEEPS MATTER!

BLACK MOTORCYCLES MATTER!

Comment

Originally posted by Gixxer86g View Post
                              Well, you know what you have to do then.....
                              Excellent!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X