Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Death, from Kabul to Brussels, 30 years in the making

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Death, from Kabul to Brussels, 30 years in the making

    This really shows just how the terror network worked its way into Europe.

    Since the mid-1990s, fundamentalist groups from other countries began to take root in Belgium. Meanwhile, following the U.S. war on Iraq in 2003, the transformation that Al-Qaeda wanted was represented in the domination over fighting groups in the Arab Maghreb.

    The Salafist Group for Preaching and Combat managed to revive trust with Al-Qaeda following the misunderstanding between the latter’s late leader Osama bin Laden and the Armed Islamic Group of Algeria during his stay in Khartoum, particularly in 1994 after the group’s leader Djamel Zitouni refused to participate in the war against the Algerian regime.

    The terrorist attacks against Belgium represent a culmination of two decades of arrangements and deals between armed groups whose presence extends from Afghanistan to the Maghreb.

    Fahad Shoqiran
    Back then, Zitouni had recruited 3,000 fighters. Bin Laden took this into consideration as he had failed to mobilize as many fighters for Al-Qaeda at the time. After the group submitted to Al-Qaeda in the summer of 1998, bin Laden changed its name to the Salafist Group for Preaching and Combat, and integration began with the famous negotiations between Hassan Hattab and Ayman al-Zawahiri.

    The rapprochement formed the basis for uniting several organizations under the name Al-Qaeda in the Arab Maghreb. All this fundamentalism that had been circulating since the 1990s until 2009 found its way to Europe, with Belgium being used as a launch pad for activities in other countries. An example is the Tarek Maaroufi cell, which assassinated Afghan political and military leader Ahmad Shah Massoud on Sept. 9, 2001.

    Al-Qaeda embraced sympathetic students, and gained influence in communities that it considered potential providers of sleeper cells. With the onset of the Syrian crisis, there was contradictory data regarding the number of Belgians belonging to groups there, particularly the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria (ISIS) and Al-Nusra Front. Belonging to these groups, and fighters’ return to their countries, contributed to recruiting and mobilizing more people.

    Transformation
    The Paris attacks in 2015 and the recent Brussels attacks expose a different dimension to terrorism, linked to crime, drugs and sex. Paris-attack suspect Salah Abdeslam was a thief who drank alcohol and was addicted to hash, according to his sister in law. One of those involved even owned a pub.

    This transformation has complicated the work of security institutions, and resulted in a wave of criticism against Belgian intelligence. The attacks in Belgium marked an ISIS victory that threatens other European countries, and perhaps even the United States.

    The Syrian conflict influenced the planning of the terrorist attacks against Belgium. However, they represent a culmination of two decades of arrangements and deals between armed groups whose presence extends from Afghanistan and Chechnya, through Iraq to their biggest operation base in the Maghreb.

    http://english.alarabiya.net/en/view...-Brussels.html
    Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies.

  • #2
    Originally posted by Urban hermit View Post
    (...) The attacks in Belgium marked an ISIS victory that threatens other European countries, and perhaps even the United States.
    I doubt it.

    Only two of the intended four bombs exploded(one was left behind, the other disarmed before it did) and the command(s) that were supposed to launch simultaneous attacks was intercepted beforehand, causing the remnants of the terrorist cell to detonate prematurely.

    Also - note the source of the article - we really shouldn't leave it to Arabs to determine what is a "victory" for ISIS, they've never seen a victory in their history.

    Following this logic, *everything* is "victory for ISIS" - a beheaded prisoner, a depopulated village, an exploding Muslim, etc..
    Lambert of Montaigu - Crusader.

    Bolgios - Mercenary Game.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Snowygerry View Post
      I doubt it.

      Only two of the intended four bombs exploded(one was left behind, the other disarmed before it did) and the command(s) that were supposed to launch simultaneous attacks was intercepted beforehand, causing the remnants of the terrorist cell to detonate prematurely.

      Also - note the source of the article - we really shouldn't leave it to Arabs to determine what is a "victory" for ISIS, they've never seen a victory in their history.

      Following this logic, *everything* is "victory for ISIS" - a beheaded prisoner, a depopulated village, an exploding Muslim, etc..
      Yes : everything is victory for ISIS, unless one would argue that everything is a defeat for ISIS .

      Comment


      • #4
        Well by this logic I could.

        Is one day without a single terrorist attack in Belgium, a "victory for Belgium" over IS ?

        We've been bombing IS since the day they beheaded the first American hostage,

        is every sortie like this one a "victory for Belgium" over IS then ?

        http://www.knack.be/nieuws/wereld/aa...al-434493.html

        Each bomb is roughly the equivalent of the ones that exploded at Brussels airport - some 700 sorties were flown in 2015, all arguably more successful than the Brussels attacks, since the pilots returned home alive in the morning to do it again in the afternoon.

        If you leave it to Arabs and/or Muslims to define "victory" you will not win often.

        They even consider dying a victory.

        Luckily your defeatist attitude, and that of OP, is not shared by a majority of the population, or the situation might just be as bad as you lot make it out to be.
        Last edited by Snowygerry; 04 Apr 16, 07:06.
        Lambert of Montaigu - Crusader.

        Bolgios - Mercenary Game.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Snowygerry View Post
          Well by this logic I could.

          Is one day without a single terrorist attack in Belgium, a "victory for Belgium" over IS ?

          We've been bombing IS since the day they beheaded the first American hostage,

          is every sortie like this one a "victory for Belgium" over IS then ?

          http://www.knack.be/nieuws/wereld/aa...al-434493.html

          Each bomb is roughly the equivalent of the ones that exploded at Brussels airport - some 700 sorties were flown in 2015, all arguably more successful than the Brussels attacks, since the pilots returned home alive in the morning to do it again in the afternoon.

          If you leave it to Arabs and/or Muslims to define "victory" you will not win often.

          They even consider dying a victory.

          Luckily your defeatist attitude, and that of OP, is not shared by a majority of the population, or the situation might just be as bad as you lot make it out to be.
          Don't harness the the horses in front of the waggon, if you ignore the past and the recent failed politics of the West in the ME.
          What is worse, fear mongering or ignorance ?

          You follow the official line, that the west is stronger, and that our politicians know what they are doing. I challenge you, and say: "They never took much of an interest in it, besides helping the Corporations to exploit resources in the ME, and to depose secular regimes that dared to dissent."

          Further the playing of tribes and religions in a divide and conquer fashion, to archive shortlived goals, that do more damage than good in the long run.
          Perfect for corporations to reek in quick and easy profits, disastrous for long term peace and prosperity.

          Thus creating a climate of hate, that feeds religious fanaticism, that carry's over to the second/third generation of muslim migrants, in our midst.

          That is what we are dealing with.
          Our middle eastern politics need a major overhaul, an overhaul that will take generations to accomplish, since many complexities have to be dealt with. Not really siding with the fear mongers, but security has to be accomplished first. Otherwise, a spiral of violence and terror will destroy any complex plan to archive lasting peace and prosperity.
          International corporations have to be broken up, the current trade mechanics dramatically changed, the "free press" with the corporate POV, has to be changed into a real free press.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Konzev View Post
            (...) You follow the official line, that the west is stronger, and that our politicians know what they are doing. I challenge you, and say: "They never took much of an interest in it, besides helping the Corporations to exploit resources in the ME, and to depose secular regimes that dared to dissent."
            Not at all.

            I question the victory conditions applied in the article in OP.

            How was the attack in Brussels a "victory for IS" ?

            One that "...threatens other European countries, and perhaps even the United States." to boot ?

            If they managed a couple of these attacks a week, they still would not even come close to the threat level common throughout European history.

            Fahad Shoqiran is a Saudi writer and researcher who also founded the Riyadh philosophers group.
            For comparison, here's another article by the same fellow,

            It's important to continue to vilify technology as the facade of our modernization crisis. The tragedy of technology has exceeded its functional ability to transform values in the society it affects and is instead dumbing them down. Indeed, technology cannot think for itself, it is just a tool, but it is also a product of modern shifts. It has managed to break boundaries, shorten distances and facilitate communication, but in my opinion, it has not contributed to bringing cultures closer. It has not succeeded in establishing German sociologist Jürgen Habermas’s theoretical meaning of public dialogue.
            http://english.alarabiya.net/en/view...chnology-.html

            He's preaching his pre-determined gospel, not making any sort of effort at reasonable analysis, useful idiots are just parroting him because his religious dreams echo their existential fears.

            Our politicians - and their ME policies - have nothing at all to do with it.
            Lambert of Montaigu - Crusader.

            Bolgios - Mercenary Game.

            Comment


            • #7
              The fact that ISIS is murdering with impunity people in Europe proves that ISIS can do what it will . This is victory for ISIS . The (Western ) European governments are dancing to the pipes of ISIS and of the Muslim lobby .

              Comment


              • #8
                Impunity ?

                Anyone remotely connected to the actual terrorist attack is either dead, arrested or being hunted like a rabbit.

                ISIS' home base is being bombed daily by about a dozen different air forces, and set upon by Shiite, Kurdish and general Syrian militia, supported by Russian AND American SF....

                ..and I'm presumably forgetting someone
                Lambert of Montaigu - Crusader.

                Bolgios - Mercenary Game.

                Comment


                • #9
                  And still they operate in Europe,freely and easily ,with impunity : how many of the authors of the Cologne pogrom have been arrested ?

                  They are the masters in big parts of Brussels, Berlin, Paris, and countless other European cities.

                  In november they murdered 150 people in Paris, two weeks ago 30 in Brussels, whose turn will it be next time ? How many of us Untermenschen will they murder next time, backed by the nodding approval of one billion Muslims worldwide ?

                  As a former chief of CIA recently commented : the worst has yet to come .

                  To quote Ronald Reagan : you ain't seen nothing yet .

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by ljadw View Post
                    And still they operate in Europe,freely and easily ,with impunity : how many of the authors of the Cologne pogrom have been arrested ?

                    They are the masters in big parts of Brussels, Berlin, Paris, and countless other European cities.
                    Eh - we were talking about ISIS.

                    I know of no neighbourhoods in either Brussels, London, Berlin or Cologne controlled by them, do you ?

                    In november they murdered 150 people in Paris, two weeks ago 30 in Brussels,
                    How many of those that terrorized the streets of Paris are still alive ?

                    How many on the run or arrested ?

                    How long do you think their caliphate will last ?

                    Also - are you entirely certain of your understanding of the meaning of the word "impunity" ?


                    That is not to say there will not be more attacks - I'm sure there will be, impune they will be not however.
                    Lambert of Montaigu - Crusader.

                    Bolgios - Mercenary Game.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Impunity? I think some people need to look up the word.

                      Any case this is a war, did you really think the enemy was going to lay down and be bombed with out trying to strike back. Difference is there attacks are only as deadly as you let them become. I mean when ISIS bombs say NATO HQ or kills leading members of a government then you can talk. These are just pointless bombings like the V1 and V2 deadly yes but in the long run they wont win a war.
                      you think you a real "bleep" solders you "bleep" plastic solders don't wory i will make you in to real "bleep" solders!! "bleep" plastic solders

                      CPO Mzinyati

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by andrewza View Post
                        (...) These are just pointless bombings like the V1 and V2 deadly yes but in the long run they wont win a war.
                        In roughly the same period from the Paris attacks 'till now, the Germans brought down 3709 of them on the district of Antwerp alone, each one roughly equivalent to one of the recent attacks.

                        Did our ancestors squeal about the collapse of Europe ?

                        Did they proclaim each rocket to be a "victory for Germany" ?

                        Some Nazis believed it would make a difference though, just as some Muslims do now.

                        Both are wrong.
                        Lambert of Montaigu - Crusader.

                        Bolgios - Mercenary Game.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Snowygerry View Post
                          Eh - we were talking about ISIS.

                          I know of no neighbourhoods in either Brussels, London, Berlin or Cologne controlled by them, do you ?
                          .
                          I thought that even in Gent,they were aware of what happens in Molenbeek .

                          And Sweden is far away, but I thought that even in Gent, one knew that in certain areas of Sweden,the police asked women not to leave their houses after a certain hour .

                          Never heard of Borgerrocco? And of Tower Hamlets where you can read posters as : You are entering a sharia controlled zone .

                          Tower Hamlets is also known as "Britains Islamic Republic " .
                          Last edited by ljadw; 05 Apr 16, 05:05.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Are you claiming ISIS has captured Molenbeek ? Or Sweden ?
                            Lambert of Montaigu - Crusader.

                            Bolgios - Mercenary Game.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Molenbeek is an ISIS base .

                              Comment

                              Latest Topics

                              Collapse

                              • Karri
                                Prawn heads
                                by Karri
                                How do you cook them? How do you eat them?

                                So far I've always just twisted them off, and discarded it along with the shells and such, only...
                                Yesterday, 11:40
                              • Jose50
                                Thoughts on the US abandoning NATO
                                by Jose50
                                Now may be a good time for the NATO countries to start beefing up their materiel, personnel and alliances. There is a decided wave here in the US that...
                                Yesterday, 08:41
                              • Von Richter
                                Sagittarius Rising...
                                by Von Richter
                                Just having a re-read of this book after it's stood for donkey's years on the bookshelf. Once again, within the first couple of pages, I'm transported...
                                Yesterday, 01:19
                              Working...
                              X