Green Party Methhead forced out of office

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Green Party Methhead forced out of office

Volker Beck, one of the Green party's top-ranking MPs, has stepped down from all his political offices after being arrested for drug possession in Berlin.
    A spokesman for Berlin prosecutors confirmed to Bild that Beck had been arrested on Tuesday at around 11pm in possession of 0.6 grammes of a controlled substance.

The tabloid further reported that the drug was methamphetamine, otherwise known as crystal meth, although other German media have yet to confirm that.

Beck, who until Wednesday was the Green party's domestic policy spokesman, behaved "co-operatively", the tabloid reported, quoting anonymous police sources.

"I hereby make available my offices as domestic and religious policy spokesman of my parliamentary group and as chairman of the German-Israeli parliamentary friendship group," Beck told Bild.

"I have always argued for a liberal drugs policy," he added. "My lawyer will give a statement to prosecutors at the appropriate time. I will not comment publicly."

Politicians and commentators were quick to react online.

"If you make your offices available then you're saying to the group that you could take them up again, if they wanted you to," Berlin state parliamentarian Christopher Lauer wrote.

http://www.thelocal.de/20160302/top-...fter-drug-bust
    Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies.

Boy, Germany is tough... Our Leftist drug addled politicians get reelected... after being convicted... Like Marion Berry...

Comment

The titles of your threads often remind me the ones of the National enquirer of the 60's..
      That rug really tied the room together

Comment

Originally posted by sebfrench76 View Post
        The titles of your threads often remind me the ones of the National enquirer of the 60's..
        Or British papers today.

Comment

Proving you care nothing about the fact that this happened, only who is telling you it happened.
          Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies.

Comment

Originally posted by Daemon of Decay View Post
            Or British papers today.
            No the headline would be much more . Green Party meth head is sacked on a high...or something along those lines.

Comment

You're absolutely right Mr Urban Hermit.
              The private life of this guy doesn't interest me at all.
              He loves meths ?
              Sad for him.
              He was a political leader ?
              Double sad for him .
              If it makes your life more comfortable when you share this kindda "defcon 5" news ,I am very happy for you.
              But somewhere in the mess of my artistic/autistic brain ,I suspect that this thread is one more time ,a way to show how depraved we are , to the "sooo normal" North American members.
              But i may be wrong .

Comment

You're absolutely right Mr Urban Hermit.
                The private life of this guy doesn't interest me at all.
                He loves meths ?
                Sad for him.
                He was a political leader ?
                Double sad for him .
                If it makes your life more comfortable when you share this kindda "defcon 5" news ,I am very happy for you.
                But somewhere in the mess of my artistic/autistic brain ,I suspect that this thread is one more time ,a way to show how depraved we are , to the "sooo normal" North American members.
                But i may be wrong .
                Im with the French on this with politicians private lives. As long as it doesn't impinge their job. In this case it may do to be fair but when it comes weed and the sex stuff I don't care. If Cameron had done what Hollande did with that actress and zooming around London on a moped to see her. He'd be done.

Comment

Maybe he needed some medication over the sadness how hard he lost his recent TV-discussion against Frau Kepetry.

Comment

Originally posted by copenhagen View Post
                    Im with the French on this.
                    Hooray !!!
                    Champagne!!

Comment

The problem arises when a politician's private life involves law breaking. People may or may not agree with the specific law but any politician aspiring to high office has an obligation to obey the law. In this case nothing is yet proven so the headlines were rather OTT.
                      Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe (H G Wells)
                      Mit der Dummheit kaempfen Goetter selbst vergebens (Friedrich von Schiller)

Comment

Originally posted by MarkV View Post
                        The problem arises when a politician's private life involves law breaking. People may or may not agree with the specific law but any politician aspiring to high office has an obligation to obey the law. In this case nothing is yet proven so the headlines were rather OTT.
                        He resigned, the Green Party has taken measures to distance themselves from him.

Volker Beck's drug charges damage Greens ahead of election
                        The drug possession charges against MP Volker Beck could scarcely have come at a worse time for Germany's Green party. Their first ever state premier is fighting for re-election in Baden-Württemberg in ten days.

http://www.dw.com/en/volker-becks-dr...ion/a-19091175

When a leader of government becomes involved with drugs especially illegal drugs, it can cloud his judgement, it shows a weakness of character and places him in jepordy of blackmail.
                        Bad judgement.
                        If it didn't matter, it wouldn't be in the news, it would not have brought about his resignation.
                        Last edited by Urban hermit; 03 Mar 16, 20:21.

Comment

Originally posted by Urban hermit View Post
                          ]

When a leader of government becomes involved with drugs especially illegal drugs, it can cloud his judgement, it shows a weakness of character and places him in jepordy of blackmail..
                          You are absolutely right.
                          But it makes our lives so much more funier.
                          Look at Rob Ford .

Comment

You are absolutely right.
                            But it makes our lives so much more funier.
                            Look at Rob Ford .
                            Or Marion Barry...it's not about if the guy is a European leader or an American leader.
                            It was not so long ago that you and me never had a cross word with each other do you remember?
                            You did not change, neither did I. What did change was the layout of the forum.
                            We no longer can post in a open current events forum, we have to post in European, Middle East, or Canada, or America. Which IMO makes posts that would have just been about dirtbag politicians in general, is now a personal shot at someone.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                            X