German court to suspected terroist, "We are busy, come back later"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• German court to suspected terroist, "We are busy, come back later"

Boy, the Germans really take this terror thing seriously!

A suspected Isis sympathiser accused of plotting a “serious” terrorist attack has been released from custody because a court is reportedly too busy to hear his case.

The 32-year-old Syrian man had been on remand since his arrest two years ago, when he was stopped trying to board a plane to Turkey from Frankfurt.

He had been accused of trying to join Isis in Syria and, in April, was charged with plotting a “serious subversive violence” by state prosecutors.

But with an apparent backlog of cases at Frankfurt’s state court, the man has since been freed on the order he report to a police station three times a week while the investigation continues.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/...g4U?li=BBnbcA1
    Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies.

I checked German news sources on this this case, and it is a wonderful case of "technically true". The 32-year old Syrian is indeed suspected of terrorist planning... since two years. Two years ago he was stopped trying to leave Germany at the Frankfurt airport. Now, the state prosecutor DID issue a warrant and got it, again, two years ago. However, even then, arrest was suspended, the suspect had to instead report himself three times a week at the police.

Now after, again, two years, the court has repealed the warrant. Not sure why, but knowing our courts, they were probably miffed that the prosecution couldn't make a case in two years. Detention while awaiting your trial is rather close to prison time, though you haven't actually been convicted yet. It is of course a necessity, but our courts are quite thin-skinned if they feel this necessity is being stretched.

EDIT: Changed persecutor to prosecutor and persecution to prosecution, my bad, sorry.
    Last edited by Acheron; 28 Feb 16, 06:40.
    Reaction to the 2016 Munich shootings:
    Europe: "We are shocked and support you in these harsh times, we stand by you."
    USA: "We will check people from Germany extra-hard and it is your own damn fault for being so stupid."

Comment

Originally posted by Acheron View Post
      I checked German news sources on this this case, and it is a wonderful case of "technically true". The 32-year old Syrian is indeed suspected of terrorist planning... since two years. Two years ago he was stopped trying to leave Germany at the Frankfurt airport. Now, the state persecutor DID issue a warrant and got it, again, two years ago. However, even then, arrest was suspended, the suspect had to instead report himself three times a week at the police.

Now after, again, two years, the court has repealed the warrant. Not sure why, but knowing our courts, they were probably miffed that the persecution couldn't make a case in two years. Detention while awaiting your trial is rather close to prison time, though you haven't actually been convicted yet. It is of course a necessity, but our courts are quite thin-skinned if they feel this necessity is being stretched.
      Sounds like a typical snafu, they happen here also, a few weeks ago it was a dangerous killer who was mistakenly released from jail.
      Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies.

Comment

You have a Quote as the lead thread. How do you quote something that isn't said?
        "Ask not what your country can do for you"

Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

Comment

I checked German news sources on this this case, and it is a wonderful case of "technically true". The 32-year old Syrian is indeed suspected of terrorist planning... since two years. Two years ago he was stopped trying to leave Germany at the Frankfurt airport. Now, the state persecutor DID issue a warrant and got it, again, two years ago. However, even then, arrest was suspended, the suspect had to instead report himself three times a week at the police.

Now after, again, two years, the court has repealed the warrant. Not sure why, but knowing our courts, they were probably miffed that the persecution couldn't make a case in two years. Detention while awaiting your trial is rather close to prison time, though you haven't actually been convicted yet. It is of course a necessity, but our courts are quite thin-skinned if they feel this necessity is being stretched.
          Is persecutor instead of prosecutor
          a] a Freudian slip
          b] a wry comment on the German legal system
          c] what you really call them in Germany ?
          Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe (H G Wells)
          Mit der Dummheit kaempfen Goetter selbst vergebens (Friedrich von Schiller)

Comment

Originally posted by MarkV View Post
            Is persecutor instead of prosecutor
            a] a Freudian slip
            b] a wry comment on the German legal system
            c] what you really call them in Germany ?
            Neither, just a screw-up on my part. Not a native English speaker, and persecutor/prosecutor both sound similar and aren't totally divorced in meaning. Took the liberty of correcting it.
            USA: "We will check people from Germany extra-hard and it is your own damn fault for being so stupid."

Comment

Neither, just a screw-up on my part. Not a native English speaker, and persecutor/prosecutor both sound similar and aren't totally divorced in meaning. Took the liberty of correcting it.
              Unfair poke by me who is basically monoglottal - sorry - but it was almost too apt a transference given that there are indeed many places and regimes in the world where all too sadly the two words are synonyms.
              Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe (H G Wells)
              Mit der Dummheit kaempfen Goetter selbst vergebens (Friedrich von Schiller)

Comment

Originally posted by MarkV View Post
                Unfair poke by me who is basically monoglottal - sorry - but it was almost too apt a transference given that there are indeed many places and regimes in the world where all too sadly the two words are synonyms.
                No offense taken, I like to think that this is the kind of word play I would do. Of course, to prevent these two words from becoming synonymous is why both law and courts are rather strict here with police and prosecutors, after all, if they would detain people for unlimited amounts of time by simply not starting the trial, what would be the difference to a police state where the regime can put people into prison on a whim?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                X