Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• copenhagen
    replied
    The Corsican Mafia probably loans out machine guns by the hour.

Leave a comment:

• Redwolf
    replied
    Is it really necessary to mix up assault rifles and machine guns on a military history forum?

Some dude with an AK-47 not hitting anything.

Leave a comment:

• Urban hermit
    replied
    Originally posted by Karri View Post
    There's also that terrorism and all still going on.

Leave a comment:

• slick_miester
    replied
    Originally posted by Bass_Man86 View Post
    I did not say that Sicilians are not civilized
    I'm sure somebody has, like maybe I saw it in a movie or something.

I said that those islanders are a clannish lot.
    By my recollections, they're clannish even after arriving here.

Grandpa was from Gela and Grandma was from Naples
    Napolitana? They're downright dangerous. Al Capone -- the mobster so violent that the Siciliani kicked him out of New York -- was sired by Napolitani. What's the old saying: Mai temere Roma, il serpente se ne sta attorcigliato a Napoli.

so I know a little about that Southern Italian mentality, and make no mistake about it, Corsicans are not French as they have far more in common with their Sardinian neighbors then they do with Marseilles, never mind Paris.
    I've heard that the idiom spoken in Corsica even today is more Italian than French, so I guess it shouldn't be surprising that their mores are more in line with Sardinia and Sicilia than France.

Leave a comment:

• lirelou
    replied
    until he saw were his fortunes lay.
    Yes, and therein lies the dividing line between patriots and opportunists.

Leave a comment:

• Karri
    replied
    There's also that terrorism and all still going on.

Leave a comment:

• Bass_Man86
    replied
    Originally posted by slick_miester View Post
    I had heard that affairs in Sicily had grown more civilized over the last three decades or so. Are you suggesting that that is not actually the case?
    I did not say that Sicilians are not civilized Slick, I said that those islanders are a clannish lot. Grandpa was from Gela and Grandma was from Naples so I know a little about that Southern Italian mentality, and make no mistake about it, Corsicans are not French as they have far more in common with their Sardinian neighbors then they do with Marseilles, never mind Paris.

Leave a comment:

• Bass_Man86
    replied
    Originally posted by lirelou View Post
    Or more correctly, the spirit of: Filippo Antonio Pasquale di Paoli, or more commonly, Pasquale Paoli. Boney's parents were followers of Paoli.
    As was Napoleon himself; he was also far from happy about the French taking over Corsica in younger years, until he saw were his fortunes lay. The Buonaparte's, led by the matriarch Letizia, were thoroughly opportunistic and were quite versed at exploiting the winds of change. Although, if you are familiar with Napoleone (his real name), he almost lost his head in the waning days of the French Revolution thanks to his association with Robespierre et al. His brother Giuseppe yanked his chestnuts out of the fire with literally less then six hours to go (as I recall) before Napy would have to climb the steps of the guillotine.

Leave a comment:

• MarkV
    replied
    Originally posted by slick_miester View Post
    I had heard that affairs in Sicily had grown more civilized over the last three decades or so. Are you suggesting that that is not actually the case?
    Organised crime has become more PR savvy and lowered their profile but as CNN recently pointed out

just because the mobsters are relatively inconspicuous doesn't mean they're at home knitting.

The Mafia continues to exercise a baleful influence on Sicily and beyond, from its periodic killings, to the protection money -- pizzo -- many hotels, restaurants and shops are forced to pay, and the corrupt investment climate that helps to keep businesses away and keep Sicily relatively poor among the Italian regions.

Tourists will hardly ever be touched directly by mob violence, which tends to go on in the poorer parts of town that are the Mafia's strongholds.

Leave a comment:

• slick_miester
    replied
    Corsicans and Sardinians, you could add Sicilians as well, are a clannish bunch that are distrustful of outsiders. It probably would not take a lot to precipitate something like that.

Leave a comment:

• lirelou
    replied
    Or more correctly, the spirit of: Filippo Antonio Pasquale di Paoli, or more commonly, Pasquale Paoli. Boney's parents were followers of Paoli.

Leave a comment:

• slick_miester
    replied
    Originally posted by IsidraAluarado View Post
    These things happen, if you allow everyone to own a gun. Gun shooting are more common in countries that has the gun rights. Government has to take mental stability test before issuing a permit, rather than allowing everyone to own it.
    You're from Staten island I see.

Leave a comment:

• Wooden Wonder
    replied
    Originally posted by Urban hermit View Post
    So you believe that machine guns are legal on the island of Corsica?
    The spirit of Napoleon lives on!

Leave a comment:

• Urban hermit
    replied
    Originally posted by IsidraAluarado View Post
    These things happen, if you allow everyone to own a gun. Gun shooting are more common in countries that has the gun rights. Government has to take mental stability test before issuing a permit, rather than allowing everyone to own it.
    So you believe that machine guns are legal on the island of Corsica?

Leave a comment:

• sebfrench76
    replied
    Second that.
    Corsican cosa nostra is very powerful , plus ,they have REAL AKs , not the ones with the orange plug like mine .

http://www.thelocal.fr/20160203/musl...fire-in-france

Leave a comment:

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
X