Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

German Official Sounds Alarm Over the Dilapidated State of the Country's Military

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• German Official Sounds Alarm Over the Dilapidated State of the Country's Military

Germany is the world's fourth-largest economy and the largest in the eurozone. When big crises like the Greek debt debacle and the Syrian refugee crisis hit Europe, Berlin calls the shots. Last month, Time named German leader Angela Merkel 2015's person of the year, dubbing her "chancellor of the free world."

Yet the German military is not fit for purpose, according to Hans-Peter Bartels, the German parliamentary ombudsman charged with overseeing the country's armed forces, known as the Bundeswehr.

"The military forces are tired," Bartels remarked in an interview with the German newspaper Handelsblatt on Wednesday, a day after he released a report that depicted Germany's military as small, demoralized, and struggling to fulfill missions with malfunctioning equipment. "There are too many things missing."

Michael Moran, a managing director at the Control Risks security consultancy in New York, was unsurprised by Bartels's pronouncement. After the country's defeat in World War II, Germans felt ashamed of their role in the bloodshed and in the genocide of the Holocaust, and adopted a pacifist stance. Germany controversially rearmed during the Cold War, but only with the goal of defending against a Soviet attack. Since the end of the Cold War and the collapse of the Soviet Union, the country has deliberately avoided reviving its once-vaunted military.

"They've never gone down the road to creating a warrior class," Moran said. "It's a very touchy topic."

Still, the parliamentary ombudsman's report contains shocking data about a country whose military preparedness has long caused concern among statesmen.
    Vice - Full Article

Tired?

Comment

If only they could have been tired in 1939.
      That rug really tied the room together

Comment

If only they could be half as good as they were in 1939, today.
        "Artillery lends dignity to what might otherwise be a vulgar brawl." - Frederick the Great

Comment

I trained with them in the 80s, and they were damned good.
          Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.

Comment

they were good until the Warsaw Pack folded. No threat???? Spend money on other things, like EU bureaucrats.
            "Ask not what your country can do for you"

Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

Comment

Originally posted by Half Pint John View Post
              they were good until the Warsaw Pack folded. No threat???? Spend money on other things, like EU bureaucrats.
              When they merged with those leftovers from East Germany.
              My worst jump story:
              My 13th jump was on the 13th day of the month, aircraft number 013.
              As recorded on my DA Form 1307 Individual Jump Log.
              No lie.

~
              "Everything looks all right. Have a good jump, eh."
              -2 Commando Jumpmaster

Comment

I remember seeing a photo of the Germans on a patrol in A stan. Seven or eight in the patrol all within 10 meters of each other and wearing baseball caps. WTF sort of training are they getting?

Comment

Originally posted by Half Pint John View Post
                  I remember seeing a photo of the Germans on a patrol in A stan. Seven or eight in the patrol all within 10 meters of each other and wearing baseball caps. WTF sort of training are they getting?
                  You live there, maybe you can go out and ask them?

But, last I heard, Panzer Kaserne was being used as a refugee housing center... priorities, don't you know?

Comment

Originally posted by The Exorcist View Post
                    You live there, maybe you can go out and ask them?

But, last I heard, Panzer Kaserne was being used as a refugee housing center... priorities, don't you know?

what you must have heard is that BB running around in your head.

The Panzer Kaserne here in the Stuttgart community is the home of a SF Company and the main PX for southern Germany.

Comment

There are 2 issues with Germany version of Military. They suppose everything a profit game, innovate products to the extreme extent and generate profits.

They can't realize, defense is always about spending rather than profit/access. After the WWII, they became the economic giant but lost it's competitive advantage of Military might. Right now, you can't consider it in top 20 in terms of fire power.

Other reason is visible, if you will visit USAG army base http://militarybases.co/directory/us...tgart-germany/. You will see, there are more activities that does not involve any defense training. You will see solar panels installed, even displayed by DW english(in a documentary) . Politician always give speeches related to on going development projects on USAG base. Even a base in Eastern Germany was assigned for the welfare of refugees.

Another problem with Germany, they does not have clear visual. They tend toward Russia as well as US. Which disturbs it's strategic position badly.
                      Last edited by IsidraAluarado; 11 Feb 16, 10:29.

Comment

when was the last time you saw or were on one of those bases?

. Just for the record, the Army does not have bases, we have POST.

Comment

Same situation like any EU military.
                          Fortess fortuan adiuvat

Comment

Originally posted by hawker_gb View Post
                            Same situation like any EU military.
                            Not all of them...
                            It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion, it is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed. The hands acquire shaking, the shaking becomes a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion

Comment

Originally posted by Vaeltaja View Post
                              Not all of them...
                              Sorry.
                              Majority of them.
                              Fortess fortuan adiuvat

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X