Man in Hungary gets 3 years' probation for Holocaust denial

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Man in Hungary gets 3 years' probation for Holocaust denial

BUDAPEST, Hungary (AP) A Budapest court on Thursday sentenced a Hungarian man to three years' probation for publicly denying that the Holocaust happened.

The case stems from a June 2012 speech in which Ferenc Oroshazi read excerpts from "Fatelessness," a semi-autobiographical novel by Hungarian Holocaust survivor and Nobel Prize-winning author Imre Kertesz, and said they proved that the Holocaust didn't happen.

"Fatelessness" narrates the experiences of a 14-year-old boy, Gyuri Koves, in the Auschwitz and Buchenwald death camps. Kertesz drew upon events from his own life for the book.
    AP - Full Article

Really? I wouldn't have thought that Holocaust denial was punishable in Hungary, well, really hood show Magyar people, my respect for your has recovered quite a lot.
    Reaction to the 2016 Munich shootings:
    Europe: "We are shocked and support you in these harsh times, we stand by you."
    USA: "We will check people from Germany extra-hard and it is your own damn fault for being so stupid."

Comment

Dislike holocaust deniers. Dislike laws that punish them for their opinions even more. Governments should never be permitted to decide which versions of history are & are not legal.
      Human beings are the only creatures on Earth that claim a god and the only living thing that behaves like it hasn't got one - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Originally posted by BF69 View Post
        Dislike holocaust deniers. Dislike laws that punish them for their opinions even more. Governments should never be permitted to decide which versions of history are & are not legal.
        History is a tool like another to achieve his goals. Nothing wrong if state uses it in his onw interests.
        There are no Nazis in Ukraine. Idiots

Comment

Absolutely agree. This is one of the things that I really dislike about Europe. Regardless of how distasteful people like him are the government suppressing his speech is worse. After all who decided what is and isn't acceptable. Today its holocaust denial, tomorrow its speaking against migrants, eventually Euroscepticism is illegal to express out loud and so on.
          "Artillery lends dignity to what might otherwise be a vulgar brawl." - Frederick the Great

Comment

Someone needs to do a Kickstarter to raise enough money to send this guy to Dachau.
            My worst jump story:
            My 13th jump was on the 13th day of the month, aircraft number 013.
            As recorded on my DA Form 1307 Individual Jump Log.
            No lie.

~
            "Everything looks all right. Have a good jump, eh."
            -2 Commando Jumpmaster

Comment

Originally posted by 101combatvet View Post
              Someone needs to do a Kickstarter to raise enough money to send this guy to Dachau.
              Been to Dachau twice. Some of the most touching moments in my life. Seeing Arbeit Macht Frei written out in front of you is just... chilling.

Comment

Originally posted by Emtos View Post
                History is a tool like another to achieve his goals. Nothing wrong if state uses it in his onw interests.
                Pretty much what I expected you to say. I look forward to governments criminalizing denial of Communist crimes. Few folk 'round here none of us would miss.
                Human beings are the only creatures on Earth that claim a god and the only living thing that behaves like it hasn't got one - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Originally posted by Daemon of Decay View Post
                  Been to Dachau twice. Some of the most touching moments in my life. Seeing Arbeit Macht Frei written out in front of you is just... chilling.
                  My parents took us there when I was 10 (had 2 younger brothers with us). They believed that we should get a full understanding of the places we visited and their history. I was barely even aware of the Holocaust (didn't come up much in 1970s rural Australia). It was one of those life changing events that took years to have its full impact.

Comment

Originally posted by frisco17 View Post
                    Absolutely agree. This is one of the things that I really dislike about Europe. Regardless of how distasteful people like him are the government suppressing his speech is worse. After all who decided what is and isn't acceptable. Today its holocaust denial, tomorrow its speaking against migrants, eventually Euroscepticism is illegal to express out loud and so on.
                    Euroscepticism has not yet zykloned 6 million humans .

In France,we have our own scums like soral,dieudonne ,meyssan ,that publically say that the Shoa is a fairytale.
                    They're free to do it.And they are free to face the consequences for doing so.
                    Fines and jail.
                    And I think it is absolutely good for our democracy to protect ourselves from bastards who are able to write that 1=2 ,that ignorance=knowledge and enslaving =freedom.
                    Last edited by sebfrench76; 23 Jan 16, 02:43.
                    That rug really tied the room together

Comment

Which assume that Holocaust denial is history.

Comment

Originally posted by sebfrench76 View Post
                        Euroscepticism has not yet zykloned 6 million humans .

In France,we have our own scums like soral,dieudonne ,meyssan ,that publically say that the Shoa is a fairytale.
                        They're free to do it.And they are free to face the consequences for doing so.
                        Fines and jail.
                        And I think it is absolutely good for our democracy to protect ourselves from bastards who are able to write that 1=2 ,that ignorance=knowledge and enslaving =freedom.
                        I'm just against suppression of free speech in general. I actually think letting them spout their nonsense is beneficial in fighting it too. Take the Mein Kampf discussion from the other thread. Making it public allows people to see it as the insane rvling that it is while banning it makes it mysterious and sought after simply because it is taboo. Besides I don't think the government should protect us from ideas. It "protects" us from too much already.
                        "Artillery lends dignity to what might otherwise be a vulgar brawl." - Frederick the Great

Comment

Pretty much what I expected you to say. I look forward to governments criminalizing denial of Communist crimes. Few folk 'round here none of us would miss.
                          Do worry, this will not happen. Nor there is something to criminalize.
                          There are no Nazis in Ukraine. Idiots

Comment

Never agreed with this. Freedom of speech includes the right to be stupid

Comment

Originally posted by copenhagen View Post
                              Never agreed with this. Freedom of speech includes the right to be stupid
                              I agree. If you're not free to be stupid, you're not free.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X