Place your bets: Boris or Wallace?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Place your bets: Boris or Wallace?

So in about 15 months we have the next election in the UK, and its looking like an intresting landscape.

At the moment the tories are hamstrung by the petulant children in the Lib Dems, and so aren't getting anywhere. Plus they have, frankly, and bit of a non entity in charge. I mean I keep seeing flashes of brilliance, which almost instantly get crushed.

On the flip side becuase the Lib Dems actually did the responsable grown up thing (for the first few months anyway) before throwing their teddy out the pram, most of their core support from wooly liberals has evaporated.

Mean while Labour are controlled by the Unions, still likely to be bankrupt and have a spud in charge. They also have the other Ed filling the slot of Grand Vizer behind the throne (you can see him doing a Gordon brown to Tony blair as chancellor), and he's complicit in the

Latest ICM poll (from the guardian) reads:
    Tories: 32%
    Labour 40%
    Lib Dems: 13%

That's a good solid Labour win at the moment. Remember the Tories need to be about 10% ahead to get a win (last time they where only 7% ahead, and got a draw). Thats one thing I dislike the Lib dems for doing, is scuttling the Electroal reform, just becuase the Population told them to get bent in the referendum. Talk about cutting off your nose to spite your face.

Anyway so when the counts are settled, who wins? who loses, and any nasty surprises in the wood work (UKIP MP?)?

And yes, I'm back baby, with a freshly sharpened mod axe!
    Winnie says
    ---------------------------------
    "He fell out of a Gestapo car, over a bridge, and onto a railway line. Then was run over by the Berlin Express.

It was an Accident."
    Herr Flick.

My best guess is that the next general election in 2015 will produce another hung parliament, albeit with fewer Lib Dem MP's.
    War is less costly than servitude

Comment

Well the Tories have vetoed any more Council Tax bands and have insisted the Beer Duty escalator continues.

Make sure the door don't hit you in the arse on the way out, 'Dave'.

Comment

Originally posted by Gooner View Post
        Well the Tories have vetoed any more Council Tax bands and have insisted the Beer Duty escalator continues.

Make sure the door don't hit you in the arse on the way out, 'Dave'.
        I don't like Dave but I dislike him less than the two Eds. Actually they scare me to death. Those two would be calamitous for this nation. This is actually a huge election in my opinion...

Comment

What's Labours ideas right now in how they'd run things? Usually a man has to choose between the lesser of two evils, Labour always strikes me as being that little bit more interfering and bad.
          ------
          'I would rather be exposed to the inconveniencies attending too much liberty than those attending too small a degree of it.' - Thomas Jefferson

If you have questions about the forum please check the FAQ/Rules

Comment

Hi

The 2008 US Election was seen as the one to not win given the woeful economic crisis, and the same could have been said for the UK 2010 General Election. I think to some degree it will come down to people's memory of where the country was at, whats had to change, the speed of the change and the economic situation at the time.

Coalition Government hasn't been a disaster and I think with some more grown up thinking from the Lib-Dems, they could have strengthened their position. They should have used their first stint in real power to consolidate their image & credentials. However they've wasted them on some rather irrelevant things, especially election reform. That battle was for a different time and not whe the nation is/was on the brink.
            The Tories are strong but yet again the 'little Englander' syndrome is raising its ugly head again, which will split & divide the party as in the past.
            Labour should be hampered by how the nation got into the mess were in, but as I said at the start it will depend on how people remember or perceive those times. If there not tainted by those yrs then they could win.
            UKIP should get a bump in the poles but other than a single MP I don't see much for them.

However the big monkey in the room is the outcome of the Scottish vote for Independance. If they vote Yes, then goodbye Labour for sometime

Regards
            "You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life." Churchill

"I'm no reactionary.Christ on the Mountain! I'm as idealistic as Hell" Eisenhower

Comment

Originally posted by Selous View Post
              What's Labours ideas right now in how they'd run things? Usually a man has to choose between the lesser of two evils, Labour always strikes me as being that little bit more interfering and bad.
              From my casual acquaintance of the news, Labours ideas seem to be that the only thing they will 'cut' will be taxes.

Comment

Originally posted by Andy H View Post

However the big monkey in the room is the outcome of the Scottish vote for Independance. If they vote Yes, then goodbye Labour for sometime
                If Cameron wants the Union to remain but also wants Labour power to be diminished all he has to do is promise Scotland full fiscal independence.

It appears to be what most Scots want and would quite likely boost the vote of Tories in Scotland.

Will 'Dave' do it? No, because he is a thick c**t.

Comment

Originally posted by Gooner View Post
                  If Cameron wants the Union to remain but also wants Labour power to be diminished all he has to do is promise Scotland full fiscal independence.

It appears to be what most Scots want and would quite likely boost the vote of Tories in Scotland.

Will 'Dave' do it? No, because he is a thick c**t.
                  Hi Gooner

Sadly the Scots don't want full fiscal independence as they want to keep the and have the Bank of England as its lender/guarantor of last resort.

Regards
                  "You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life." Churchill

"I'm no reactionary.Christ on the Mountain! I'm as idealistic as Hell" Eisenhower

Comment

Originally posted by Andy H View Post
                    Hi Gooner

Sadly the Scots don't want full fiscal independence as they want to keep the and have the Bank of England as its lender/guarantor of last resort.

Regards
                    Oops, I meant full fiscal autonomy http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Full_fi...y_for_Scotland

Comment

Ignoring the first place result (which was given), the by election results make for interesting reading.

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/labour-clea...020807686.html
                      Winnie says
                      "He fell out of a Gestapo car, over a bridge, and onto a railway line. Then was run over by the Berlin Express.

It was an Accident."
                      Herr Flick.

Comment

BoJo

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-20592596

Comment

'Why I should like to see him as king or dictator' - unknown artillery NCO, of General Robert E. Lee.
                          ------
                          'I would rather be exposed to the inconveniencies attending too much liberty than those attending too small a degree of it.' - Thomas Jefferson

If you have questions about the forum please check the FAQ/Rules

Comment

Woooo, First time I can vote! But it would help if any of the parties are worth voting for

Comment

Originally posted by calger14 View Post
                              Woooo, First time I can vote! But it would help if any of the parties are worth voting for
                              Congratulations.

First time I could vote my choices were Tony Blair, John Major or some other tit.
                              So a grinning spiv who would destroy the country (Called it!), a nonentity or someone who was bound to loose.

I quickly realised that politics in this country is screwed. However, you're luckier, as things I feel/hope have reached a change point, like they did in the 20's (Liberal party getting replaced by Labour).

At the moment most voters seem to dislike their natural parties. With the Tories being seen as Labour Lite, the Lib dems are all over the place, and labour have the last government hanging over their heads. UKIP are having a surge as the only non-centre left party option. So I could see Liberals and Tories losing allot of ground and becoming minor parties, while UKIP gain ground. So needing to merge in some fashion, although I suspect the Lib dems will fragment.

Labour can't loose due to the inherent advantage they have. So it all starts getting intresting, and very, very stormy.
                              Add in Labour being utterly incomptent in regards to running the country and we'll start seeing lots of social pressures acting on the political landscape.

Fun times!
                              Winnie says

It was an Accident."
                              Herr Flick.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X