Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Future of Trident if Scotland becomes Independent

Hi

The link below gives you a very interesting take on all the issues about how 7 where Britains Trident subs should/could be based-from still in Scotland, to the USA or France. Plus numerous other issues it would raise

Hope its of some use and interesting to read:-
    http://www.publications.parliament.u.../676/67602.htm
    Just click on the individual segments accordingly

Regards
    "You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life." Churchill

"I'm no reactionary.Christ on the Mountain! I'm as idealistic as Hell" Eisenhower

Interestingly, the Church of Scotland and all Scottish Political parties (barring the Conservatives) were against Trident being based here in the first place - Westminster didn't give a f**k.

I suggest they store them in the Thames Estuary until they come up with a better idea.
    Indyref2 - still, "Yes."

Comment

Hi Andrew

It seems that part of the cost for a new base (costing some 50Bn) will have to be picked up by the new Scottish Government

Regards
      "You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life." Churchill

"I'm no reactionary.Christ on the Mountain! I'm as idealistic as Hell" Eisenhower

Comment

From other countries experience,it is usually agreed with bilateral agreements or "parent country" find a way to extract all mobile assets.

If Scots really don't want Trident,it will go to rest of UK.There is also a possibility to try selling them to third country and then money is shared.
        It is always more difficult to fight against faith than against knowledge.

Косово је Србија!
        Never go to war with a country whose national holiday celebrates a defeat in 1389.

Armored Brigade

Armored Brigade Facebook page

Comment

Whatabout Gibraltar, as is sometimes done?
          ------
          'I would rather be exposed to the inconveniencies attending too much liberty than those attending too small a degree of it.' - Thomas Jefferson

If you have questions about the forum please check the FAQ/Rules

Comment

Originally posted by Selous View Post
            Whatabout Gibraltar, as is sometimes done?
            Hi Mate

The whole infrastructure would be way to big for Gibraltar and its not as if its not overlooked

Regards

Comment

But this only leaves Devonport and Portsmouth, I don't think one of those glowing in the dark if an accident were to happen would be very good - where has such infrastructure? because I'm sure it'd be prohibitively expensive to build another RN base. It's not like Chatham could be put back online
              ------
              'I would rather be exposed to the inconveniencies attending too much liberty than those attending too small a degree of it.' - Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Originally posted by the ace View Post
                Interestingly, the Church of Scotland and all Scottish Political parties (barring the Conservatives) were against Trident being based here in the first place - Westminster didn't give a f**k.

I suggest they store them in the Thames Estuary until they come up with a better idea.
                All the protection whilst maintaining the self righteous indignation aswell. Cake and eat it I guess...

Comment

Originally posted by Andy H View Post
                  Hi Mate

The whole infrastructure would be way to big for Gibraltar and its not as if its not overlooked

Regards
                  The Spanish would go bat I reckon...

Comment

But this only leaves Devonport and Portsmouth, I don't think one of those glowing in the dark if an accident were to happen would be very good - where has such infrastructure? because I'm sure it'd be prohibitively expensive to build another RN base. It's not like Chatham could be put back online
                    Although it's fine for Glasgow - and nearly half the population of Scotland - to do the same thing.
                    Indyref2 - still, "Yes."

Comment

Yeah, exactly

------

Comment

Hi

Well the report gives a figure of around 50Bn, of which Scotland will have to pay a hefty %
                        There are discussions about placing them in Georgia USA or at Brest in France, as well as leaving them in Scotland as sovereign bases-though I doubt that idea will float.

Regards

Comment

Originally posted by the ace View Post
                          Although it's fine for Glasgow - and nearly half the population of Scotland - to do the same thing.
                          +1!!! Sorry can't give you any more rep at the moment!!!

Comment

Given that the country is broke how can we afford tens of billions of pounds to build a new base as well as a replacement for trident. If we lost access to Scotland for a base, the best we could afford is to share with France.
                            War is less costly than servitude

Comment

Originally posted by Kendrick View Post
                              Given that the country is broke how can we afford tens of billions of pounds to build a new base as well as a replacement for trident. If we lost access to Scotland for a base, the best we could afford is to share with France.
                              We could afford by keeping our beak out of other peoples countries for a decade or two.

Fat chance.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X