Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Human trafficking to UK 'rising'

From bbc.com

The number of people being trafficked into the UK is rising, latest government estimates suggest.
    Crime gangs in China, Vietnam, Nigeria and eastern Europe now pose the biggest threat to the UK on the issue, it said.
    Mr Hyland said it was often "almost impossible" for border guards to spot victims because they often did not even know they were being trafficked.
    Immigration minister Mark Harper said Thursday's report would "increase the awareness of what's going on" ...
    "We're doing a better job of cracking down people involved in the vile trade, which is effectively modern-day slavery,"
    Read the article in full to understand the situation better http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-19984615
    The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. Thomas Jefferson.

which is effectively modern-day slavery
    The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. Thomas Jefferson.

Comment

Originally posted by Cosmos View Post
      which is effectively modern-day slavery
      Hi

Sadly a global problem with little prospect of it ever changing

Regards
      "You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life." Churchill

"I'm no reactionary.Christ on the Mountain! I'm as idealistic as Hell" Eisenhower

Comment

Originally posted by Andy H View Post
        Hi

Sadly a global problem with little prospect of it ever changing

Regards
        Its not in our culture but if we're too laxidazical (I think thats right ) with some of our immigration policy, then we shouldnt be suprised it's come here..

Comment

The problem with modern slavery and sexual slavery, perhaps why as an issue it's not much heard of, is that addressing it is difficult for western governments. To confront the issue in the public arena causes political conflict because it is entangled with the liberal policies on immigration and prostitution.
          "A common thug can kill someone, but it takes the talents of an intelligence service to make a murder appear to be a suicide or accident death." -- James Angleton, CIA, Chief of Counterintelligence.

Comment

Originally posted by copenhagen View Post
            Its not in our culture but if we're too laxidazical (I think thats right ) with some of our immigration policy, then we shouldnt be suprised it's come here..
            lackadaisical
            "The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." Bertrand Russell

Comment

Originally posted by PhilipLaos View Post
              lackadaisical
              Fank Yew

Comment

I doubt human trafficking is part of any culture for that matter.

Comment

Originally posted by Imperial View Post
                  I doubt human trafficking is part of any culture for that matter.
                  I think some societies criminal element are more disposed to it than others.... We didnt have it here in any meaningfull sense till Eastern European Mafia succeeded in getting a foothold here...

Comment

I think some societies criminal element are more disposed to it than others.... We didnt have it here in any meaningfull sense till Eastern European Mafia succeeded in getting a foothold here...
                    Yes, but it's not something about those cultures that makes them predisposed to it, it's the existance of a flow of migration from poorer countries to richer countries and the existance of criminal elements that can take advantage of it.

We didn't have a human trafficking problem either before the iron curtain fell and borders started to become more porous until eventually there was complete freedom of movement.

And this whole situation wouldn't have been possible had there been no interest in using cheap labor from Eastern Europe.

Comment

It's been here for many decades, but nobody cared that much as it did not interfere with 'daily' life.

Ed.
                      The repetition of affirmations leads to belief. Once that belief becomes a deep conviction, you better wake up and look at the facts.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                      X