Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scottish independence: ‘An historic day’ as referendum deal is signed

From scotsman.com

DAVID Cameron and Alex Salmond have signed a historic deal to ensure Scots make a “decisive and respected” call on whether to create a country independent from the rest of the United Kingdom in two years’ time.
    Mr Salmond will bring forward a bill early next year which will set out the date, the franchise, the wording and the rules on campaign spending.
    He confirmed yesterday that he intended to hold the referendum in autumn 2014. The deal also clears the way for 16- and 17- year-olds to have the vote

More http://www.scotsman.com/the-scotsman...gned-1-2577133
    The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. Thomas Jefferson.

Salmond missed out here though. He didn't get his devolution max clause which he wanted and could've won. Its just yes or no. I suspect the Scots will vote no....

Comment

Please stay on topic and keep the anti-semetism to yourself.
      -ACG Staff
      Last edited by Duncan; 16 Oct 12, 12:11.

Comment

If the LIb Dem home rule idea is picked up and ran with by all the parties as a viable road map in a post-no-vote event I will probably vote no, otherwise I'm leaning towards a yes at the moment.

Comment

Oh God 2yrs of political fist bashing coming our way, to go with the previous 2yrs

I would have some understanding of the SNP's position IF they didn't paint a independent Scotland as a land of milk & honey. The idea that Nirvana/Xanadu or Heaven is just yrs away, whilst ignoring the big boy realities of the world we live in, is just plain stupid and treating the electorate as stupid.

The idea of 16&17yrs olds voting is a slippery slope given the reasons being trotted out by the Yes campaign. Why not let all kids over High School age vote? Whats the rationale that 16-17 is Ok for this referendum but not Ok for everyday elections!

Regards
          "You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life." Churchill

"I'm no reactionary.Christ on the Mountain! I'm as idealistic as Hell" Eisenhower

Comment

Originally posted by stalin View Post
            -ACG Staff
            Last edited by Duncan; 16 Oct 12, 12:11.
            I was married for two ******* years! Hell would be like Club Med! - Sam Kinison

Comment

Originally posted by Fodder76 View Post
              If the LIb Dem home rule idea is picked up and ran with by all the parties as a viable road map in a post-no-vote event I will probably vote no, otherwise I'm leaning towards a yes at the moment.
              I just looked it up, I like it; a federal United Kingdom would go a long way towards making things more equitable.

Comment

Originally posted by stalin View Post
                -ACG Staff
                I'm not Jewish, but I'll be voting, 'Yes.' It's time we put our money where our mouth is and stopped being 90-minute patriots.

Of course there'll be problems, but they'll be ours to address.
                Last edited by Duncan; 16 Oct 12, 12:12.
                Indyref2 - still, "Yes."

Comment

Originally posted by the ace View Post
                  I'm not Jewish, but I'll be voting, 'Yes.' It's time we put our money where our mouth is and stopped being 90-minute patriots.

So that's why you wear kilts: you're missing your hoods?

Rimshot

Comment

No we wear them because the ladies (and in my experience of wearing one stateside, the American ladies especially) go nuts for them.

Comment

^ Is that your idea of a pun?

Comment

Originally posted by the ace View Post

Hi Andrew

Well I for one would welcome some honesty & detail from the SNP on these difficulties rather than aforementioned milk & honey spin were getting.

Regards
                        "You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life." Churchill

"I'm no reactionary.Christ on the Mountain! I'm as idealistic as Hell" Eisenhower

Comment

Originally posted by Andy H View Post
                          Hi Andrew

Well I for one would welcome some honesty & detail from the SNP on these difficulties rather than aforementioned milk & honey spin were getting.

Regards
                          I for one want Alex Salmond to admit his Semitic heritage.

Can you get that black coat in a nice tartan?

Comment

Originally posted by slick_miester View Post
                            I for one want Alex Salmond to admit his Semitic heritage.

Can you get that black coat in a nice tartan?
                            It is in tartan, its just that its black on black.

Comment

I found Stalin's book.

I've always known that the Jocks weren't smart enough on their own to come up with an idea as big as secession from the United Kingdom: they needed help from "The Tribe."

Originally posted by Fodder76 View Post
                              It is in tartan, its just that its black on black.
                              This bloke would beg to differ.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X