X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nobel Peace Prize Awarded to EU

LOL wut???

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-19921072

The European Union has been awarded the Nobel Peace Prize for six decades of work in advancing peace in Europe.
    The committee said the EU had helped to transform Europe "from a continent of war to a continent of peace".
    Nothing to do with the Cold War and MAD that froze things in place for 40 years.

I feel sorry for the scientists who get deserved prizes for the most part as its clear the Peace Prize has become a joke way before Obama got it.

The Nobel for Peace these days not only chooses poorly, it also has the worst timing possible...
    In this case for example, pretty much any other year since foundation would be more appropriate, but they waited until the Greeks started burning Nazi figures and northern Europeans calling parasites to the southerns, with the union becoming more contested than ever before: "Hey, now sounds about right".
    The opposite mistake with Obama, "this guy might do something peacefull eventually but why wait?"...

If it were today, the Mandela prize would be awarded while he was in armed resistance... By the point he peacefully brings down the apartheid he wouldn't even be considered.

Comment

Ridiculous.

Comment

Hi

Yep they've dropped a clanger with this one I'm afraid.

Such a distinction should go to individuals or specific peace related orgs, and not faceless conglomerates such as say the EU, UN or NATO etc

I wonder what will happen to the $1million prize?

Regards
        "You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life." Churchill

"I'm no reactionary.Christ on the Mountain! I'm as idealistic as Hell" Eisenhower

Comment

Just when you thought it couldn't get any sillier...
          Matthew 5:9 Blessed are the cheesemakers

That's right bitches. I'm blessed!

Comment

Come to think of it, this is a good thing. As it gets increasingly ridiculous, my odds of winning the Nobel for Peace improve...

Comment

Originally posted by Castro View Post
              The Nobel for Peace these days not only chooses poorly, it also has the worst timing possible...
              In this case for example, pretty much any other year since foundation would be more appropriate, but they waited until the Greeks started burning Nazi figures and northern Europeans calling parasites to the southerns, with the union becoming more contested than ever before: "Hey, now sounds about right".
              When I read the news of the award the first thing that came to mind was all of the "look what we've managed to achieve historically" statements the British pro-union parties throw out in response to the relatively (in political terms) soon Scottish independence referendum.

Comment

I have just updated my CV with, "Winner of the 2012 Nobel Peace Prize".

Comment

And of course, next year the EU will be awarded the Noble Prize for Economy for its daring monetary handling within the eurozone
                  BoRG

You may not be interested in War, but War is interested in You - Leon Trotski, June 1919.

Comment

Originally posted by Mackie View Post
                    I have just updated my CV with, "Winner of the 2012 Nobel Peace Prize".

I am rather sure that the UK secured an opt-out for this event. Not sure though, theres just too many to be certain.

And of course, next year the EU will be awarded the Noble Prize for Economy for its daring monetary handling within the eurozone
                    There is no such thing.

wiki
                    the Sveriges Riksbank Prize in Economic Sciences in Memory of Alfred Nobel , is an award for outstanding contributions to the field of economics, generally regarded as one of the most prestigious awards for that field. Although not one of the Nobel Prizes established by the will of Alfred Nobel in 1895, it is consistently identified with them.
                    Ha, wie so stolz und hehr
                    Wirft über Land und Meer
                    Weithin der deutsche Aar
                    Flammenden Blick.

Comment

Oh how I laughed!

Comment

Sadly it's apt - Europe is much too peaceful. A bloody good war would've sorted a lot of trouble.
                        ------
                        'I would rather be exposed to the inconveniencies attending too much liberty than those attending too small a degree of it.' - Thomas Jefferson

If you have questions about the forum please check the FAQ/Rules

Comment

Originally posted by Kimi View Post
                          I am rather sure that the UK secured an opt-out for this event. Not sure though, theres just too many to be certain.
                          Click me.

Comment

Originally posted by Kimi View Post
                            There is no such thing.

wiki
                            Bit pedantic aren't we?
                            BoRG

You may not be interested in War, but War is interested in You - Leon Trotski, June 1919.

Comment

Originally posted by Major Sennef View Post
                              Bit pedantic aren't we?
                              You're saying that to a German ?
                              There are no Nazis in Ukraine. © Idiots

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X