X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scotland, NATO and WMD

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/poli...join-Nato.html

Originally posted by Article
    The First Minister said the document would include a clause declaring weapons of mass destruction illegal, meaning the UK’s Trident submarine fleet would have to be moved from its base on the Clyde.

He made the pledge to placate his party members ahead of their conference later this month, at which they will vote to reverse SNP policy on an independent Scotland being part of Nato.
    I did not know what the Nationalists were so against nuclear weapons or NATO.
    ------
    'I would rather be exposed to the inconveniencies attending too much liberty than those attending too small a degree of it.' - Thomas Jefferson

If you have questions about the forum please check the FAQ/Rules

There is certainly a strong anti-nuclear feeling in Scotland - even the Kirk takes a unilateral stance.

The sticking-point over NATO is that we don't understand why our people should be sent to war-zones around the world. There was no support here for the Second Gulf War or Afghanistan, but we ended up there anyway.
    Indyref2 - still, "Yes."

Comment

Originally posted by Selous View Post
      http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/poli...join-Nato.html

I did not know what the Nationalists were so against nuclear weapons or NATO.
      This lot are effectivley the 1970's Labour Party. It should not suprise you...

Comment

Originally posted by copenhagen View Post
        This lot are effectivley the 1970's Labour Party. It should not suprise you...
        The only thing wrong with the 1970s Labour Party was that Michael Foot lost the leadership election and Jim Callaghan became Prime Minister.

As everybody's favourite uncle, Callaghan just about made it, as a Prime Minister he was hopeless.

It's, 'Progress,' in the Labour Party since then that allowed the SNP to make such sweeping gains.
        Last edited by the ace; 07 Oct 12, 18:15.
        Indyref2 - still, "Yes."

Comment

They've managed to tie themselves up in knots over this one. They have long been against NATO, even before Iraq and Afghanistan entirely because it is an alliance based on nuclear deterrent. If they sign up to the Strategic Concept they may as well leave the nukes on the Clyde and extor... sorry collect rent from Whitehall.

Comment

Originally posted by the ace View Post
            The only thing wrong with the 1970s Labour Party was that Michael Foot lost the leadership election and Jim Callaghan became Prime Minister.

As everybody's favourite uncle, Callaghan just about made it, as a Prime Minister he was hopeless.

It's, 'Progress,' in the Labour Party since then that allowed the SNP to make such sweeping gains.
            That was the only thing wrong with the 1970's Labour Party?
            And Micheal Foot did so much better when he got control. Jeez

Comment

Originally posted by the ace View Post
              There is certainly a strong anti-nuclear feeling in Scotland - even the Kirk takes a unilateral stance.

The sticking-point over NATO is that we don't understand why our people should be sent to war-zones around the world. There was no support here for the Second Gulf War or Afghanistan, but we ended up there anyway.
              This must be a "recent" attitude. My understanding is the Scots played a very valuable and willing role in British empire building. Your people were certainly well represented in the two World Wars and my understanding from most Scots I've met in real life or on the forum their is a lot of pride in Scotland's role as part of Britain in WWII.

Comment

Hi

Though sadly it will cause us some logistical problems and military issues to move the nuclear weapons/infrastructure, lets just do it already!

Let Scotland go live in its Utopian SNP idle, out of the UK, out of NATO and out of mind.

The Scots have been great loyal citizens over the decades, but the SNP politicians are living in a nirvana fueled future, where if you actually listen to them, there will never be any problem about anything ever

Regards
                "You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life." Churchill

"I'm no reactionary.Christ on the Mountain! I'm as idealistic as Hell" Eisenhower

Comment

Clearly Humphery saw all this tomfoolery with regional government coming all that time ago.
                  Ha, wie so stolz und hehr
                  Wirft über Land und Meer
                  Weithin der deutsche Aar
                  Flammenden Blick.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• casanova
                    Berlin.1945
                    by casanova
                    The Sowjet T-34 tank against a German Tiger tank in Berlin in the II World War in 1945. ...
                    Yesterday, 23:41
                  • casanova
                    AW 169M
                    by casanova
                    The Austrian minister of defence Klaudia Tanner declared the buy of 18 Italian military helicopters of the type AW 169M for the Austrian army, the Bundesheer....
                    Yesterday, 23:26
                  • JBark
                    What changed?
                    by JBark
                    There was a time not too long ago when this forum was full of discussion, multiple posts, votes and involved discussions on the best of the war, etc.,...
                    Yesterday, 18:54
                  Working...
                  X