Gloomy France vs. Upbeat Britain?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gloomy France vs. Upbeat Britain?

Would really like our French members to comment on this, I can't say for Britain but it seems to be accurate for France (and I live next door-salut voisins!!!).

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-19814806

It has not been a great week to be French. Unemployment has just hit three million, growth for next year is estimated at barely above zero, and the popularity of President Hollande has plummeted.
    Anyone who uses the Eurostar regularly gets to know the station at either end pretty thoroughly, so I do not think I will be the first traveller on the line to make the following observation - St Pancras: Gem. Gare du Nord: Dump.
    Get on the train in London and it is a treat. The stations are clean, the staff are friendly.
    Get off in Paris, and you know straightaway you are in a less than salubrious part of town.

Originally posted by joea View Post
    Would really like our French members to comment on this, I can't say for Britain but it seems to be accurate for France (and I live next door-salut voisins!!!).

Not sure...

And not sure impressions of railway stations are much of a gauge? Rather a lot of "eye of the beholder" stuff mayhaps? Or a simple matter of newness of most recent paint-job? Possibility of a British comfort-bias? I.e. this piece certainly may have more to say about sentiments among certain British people, and less about France...

Gare du Nord, Paris:

St Pancras, London:

Comment

A LOT more shops in St. Pancras. *

Yeah, but last time I was there Gare du Nord seemed drab, St. Pancras gleaming.

* Art there too though

Comment

Recent visit to St Pancras was quite nice, remember little about the Gare Du Nord, I popped over a couple of years ago through the chunnel, seemed okay to me, there were armed soldiery patrolling, though, perhaps it was a terror alert or they were practising?
        ------
        'I would rather be exposed to the inconveniencies attending too much liberty than those attending too small a degree of it.' - Thomas Jefferson

If you have questions about the forum please check the FAQ/Rules

Comment

Only going on looks and that I used it many times I'll pick the Gare de Nord.

I arrived in Paris and depart Paris 18 months later through the station and used it on a weekly bases on the week ends going into the city to do what 19 year olds do in a city like Paris, go to mass.
          "Ask not what your country can do for you"

Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

Comment

The thing is , London by population is now the 5th biggest French city I believe. London estate agents are taking on French speakers to deal with the demand of French immigrants coming to work in London because they say, its easier to do business and taxation. Bearing in mind our corporate red tape that says a lot. I don't know the ins and outs of it but these large numbers moving here must mean something. Perhaps the French here can shed some more light...

This 75% tax band by Hollande does strike me as entrepreneurial (sic) suicide...

Comment

Originally posted by copenhagen View Post
              The thing is , London by population is now the 5th biggest French city I believe. London estate agents are taking on French speakers to deal with the demand of French immigrants coming to work in London because they say, its easier to do business and taxation. Bearing in mind our corporate red tape that says a lot. I don't know the ins and outs of it but these large numbers moving here must mean something. Perhaps the French here can shed some more light...

This 75% tax band by Hollande does strike me as entrepreneurial (sic) suicide...
              London is a major metropolis by any standard, major economical center and very close to France, which would explain lots of French there. Also the fact that more and more French speak English today so it is an ideal location to get some international experience.

The tax has little to nothing to do with it, it's not the millionaires moving there.
              Wisdom is personal

Comment

Originally posted by Karri View Post
                London is a major metropolis by any standard, major economical center and very close to France, which would explain lots of French there. Also the fact that more and more French speak English today so it is an ideal location to get some international experience.

The tax has little to nothing to do with it, it's not the millionaires moving there.
                I'm not so sure about that. The rise in French immigrants has risen sharply in recent years. London has the fifth largest urban French population anywhere including France itself. The British aren't going the otherway unless its to retire/ not generally for business reasons. Something isn't right over there...

Comment

Originally posted by joea View Post

No point of comparison between Gare du Nord and St Pancras. By SNCF standard later is a medium provincial rail station at best.

"Gare Du Nord is reportedly Europe's busiest railway station in terms of total passenger numbers and the world's second-largest station in terms of passenger capacity."

http://www.railway-technology.com/fe.../feature76247/

I dont see the relation between rail station and tax but the comical claim that French are leaving UK en masse is not longer supported even by UMP. (Et croyez moi, ils font pourtant tout ce qu'ils peuvent pour passer pour de parfaits crétins )

Comment

Britain upbeat
                    While it's true we do feel a little better about ourselves after showing the world we are quite good at organising thing's and having fun ( thanks to the Olympics), the economic situation is still depressing.

Comment

Originally posted by Metryll View Post
                      No point of comparison between Gare du Nord and St Pancras. By SNCF standard later is a medium provincial rail station at best.
                      [...]
                      http://www.railway-technology.com/fe.../feature76247/
                      So then a more apt comparison might perhaps be Gare du Nord - Clapham Junction?

And I seem to recall Brits aren't necessarily all that happy about Clapham Junction. Never heard it described as a "gem" at least...

Comment

it is thousand years that this sort of publications about Russia are made in the West but it took France for everyone to notice the media writes rubbish!

Comment

Been in London for a week last september, Gare du Nord itself is quite clean, that's the tube and RER underground station that's a complete dump, hate it everytime I have to commute between Gare de Lyon and Gare du Nord. As for St Pancras, the station is pristine, as are most other London stations I've been to (Victoria, Liverpool Street...except maybe Waterloo). That said I don't think it's a relevant indicator of the general economic mood, London seems rather depressed as well, just look at all the "everything for a pound" shops sprouting everywhere...even Tesco has been losing money this year with all the discounts they had to make.

Comment

Originally posted by Boonierat View Post
                            Been in London for a week last september, Gare du Nord itself is quite clean, that's the tube and RER underground station that's a complete dump, hate it everytime I have to commute between Gare de Lyon and Gare du Nord. As for St Pancras, the station is pristine, as are most other London stations I've been to (Victoria, Liverpool Street...except maybe Waterloo). That said I don't think it's a relevant indicator of the general economic mood, London seems rather depressed as well, just look at all the "everything for a pound" shops sprouting everywhere...even Tesco has been losing money this year with all the discounts they had to make.
                            "Everything for a Pound' shops? What a ripoff. Here we have 99cents stores and even a whole chain named "The Dollar Tree".
                            Flag: USA / Location: West Coast

Prayers.

BoRG

http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/8757/snap1ws8.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PtsX_Z3CMU

Comment

Originally posted by stalin View Post
                              it is thousand years that this sort of publications about Russia are made in the West but it took France for everyone to notice the media writes rubbish!
                              I think for the Russian participants the correct comparison is not Clapham Junction, but a stop or two away at Vauxhall.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X