Unarmed British police. Funeral today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unarmed British police. Funeral today

One of the two English police officers killed in a gun and grenade attack was buried today in Manchester bringing the city to a silent standstill.

Hats off to those people who put themselves literally between the public and those who would do them harm.

The overwhelming unarmed British cop is still one of the wonders of the modern world.
    What would Occam say?

Article and vid;
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukne...bystander.html
    ------
    'I would rather be exposed to the inconveniencies attending too much liberty than those attending too small a degree of it.' - Thomas Jefferson

If you have questions about the forum please check the FAQ/Rules

Comment

Haven't they still asked not to be armed I seem to remember a police officers conference vote.
      Cymru am Byth

Comment

Originally posted by Kevinmeath View Post
        Haven't they still asked not to be armed I seem to remember a police officers conference vote.
        Yes, still a huge majority of cops in the UK reject being armed in normal duties.
        What would Occam say?

Comment

I didn't want to carry a weapon in normal duties...

Comment

Originally posted by copenhagen View Post
            I didn't want to carry a weapon in normal duties...
            You were on the force?
            What would Occam say?

Comment

Originally posted by Kevinmeath View Post
              Yes, they are still against regular police officers carrying firearms.

It should be noted that these are the first UK police officers serving in Great Britain (but not NI) to be killed in an incident involving guns since 2007. The last police officer before this horrific event to be murdered in the line of duty was in 2009, when an officer was deliberately run down by a criminal in a car who was attempting to escape.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...e_line_of_duty
              Last edited by redcoat; 04 Oct 12, 08:44.

Comment

Originally posted by billscottmorri View Post
                You were on the force?
                I was in the Met. 10 years ago. I was a probationer and ultimately felt it wasn't for me. I'm not some old sweat with lots of tales to tell. However I did fancy a bit of SO19 at the time, they always had some cool kit. Didn't want to carry a weapon as a regular plod though...

Comment

Arming COP's is not the only answer and it isn't even 100% insurance for them. Back in the 90s of so, a man was cornered by 5 armed German police. He managed to kill two and wound three with a 35cm knife until he was shot dead by one of the wounded COPS.
                  "Ask not what your country can do for you"

Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

Comment

Hi

Whilst the rank & file have remained admirably unarmed, they've certainly beefed up there armed response units over the decades, and I think on the whole this is the way it should be.

Given the nature of their deaths, their being armed would have changed nothing, sadly.

Regards
                    "You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life." Churchill

"I'm no reactionary.Christ on the Mountain! I'm as idealistic as Hell" Eisenhower

Comment

Originally posted by Andy H View Post
                      Hi

Whilst the rank & file have remained admirably unarmed, they've certainly beefed up there armed response units over the decades, and I think on the whole this is the way it should be.

Given the nature of their deaths, their being armed would have changed nothing, sadly.

Regards
                      My problem is that the police and its been creeping up inthe last decade or so is in many respects our police have stopped looking like police officers and started looking like para-military soldiers... Sorry don't like it...

Comment

Originally posted by copenhagen View Post
                        My problem is that the police and its been creeping up inthe last decade or so is in many respects our police have stopped looking like police officers and started looking like para-military soldiers... Sorry don't like it...
                        Hi Cope

Can't say I disagree with you but just a sign of the times in many respects-anti-stab vests, numerous radios/phones, and a plethora of other equipment hanging of a near military style web-belt.
                        The days of Carry on Constable, with just your truncheon, whistle and hand cuffs are long gone.

Regards
                        "You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life." Churchill

"I'm no reactionary.Christ on the Mountain! I'm as idealistic as Hell" Eisenhower

Comment

I'd just like to comment on the vast difference that orgainzational culture can make. I visited England, Scotland, and Wales in 2010 and had occasion to meet both some of your armed and unarmed officers. They were all extremely friendly and taken as a whole seemed to be a professional bunch. From a US law enforcement perspective the thought of being unarmed is very, very, strange. The thought of officers requesting to remain so is even stranger from our perspective, however I freely admit that yours is a different police culture than ours and your system seems to work every bit as well as the US version.

At any rate, my condolences go out to the families and friends of the officers. I do hope they find some comfort. Having attended more than enough of those funerals I can say that emotions can run high, and the officers from that orgainzation must watch each other closely so as not to over react to threats they regularly encounter on the street. Losing officers, friends really, can be hard on any department, but I can only imagine the potential impact it could have in a country where none have been shot and killed since 2007, as I understand it.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Karri
                            Prawn heads
                            by Karri
                            How do you cook them? How do you eat them?

So far I've always just twisted them off, and discarded it along with the shells and such, only...
                            Today, 11:40
                          • Jose50
                            Thoughts on the US abandoning NATO
                            by Jose50
                            Now may be a good time for the NATO countries to start beefing up their materiel, personnel and alliances. There is a decided wave here in the US that...
                            Today, 08:41
                          • Von Richter
                            Sagittarius Rising...
                            by Von Richter
                            Just having a re-read of this book after it's stood for donkey's years on the bookshelf. Once again, within the first couple of pages, I'm transported...
                            Today, 01:19
                          Working...
                          X