North Korea Vows to Boost Nuclear Deterrent

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• North Korea Vows to Boost Nuclear Deterrent

Not merely posturing as their history shows.

http://www1.voanews.com/english/news...-97292049.html

I've asked this before, but I've never had a decent answer.

Am not too familiar about the Korean history, but, after the Korean War ended in an armistice, why was a peace treaty never signed?
    "We have no white flag."

Comment

Ah that's a hell of a question. It's primarily cold war politics (short answer) that continued to escalate. But the real truth is that the North desired no such thing. Even though it would have been to their tremendous advanatage.

Comment

Thanks TD. So the NK didn't want a peace treaty? Were they somehow still hoping to have reunited the Korean peninsula through war?

(sorry if my questions seem a bit off-topic, so let me try to relate it to this thread: a nuclear deterrent would seem to be a goal a paranoid North will want to have, considering that there's no peace treaty in place, and being labelled as a member of the "axis of evil"; heck, if I was under threat of war at anytime and called "evil" by the gov't most able to wage war, I'd be paranoid too)
        Last edited by GMan88; 30 Jun 10, 20:05.
        "We have no white flag."

Comment

Originally posted by GMan88 View Post
          Thanks TD. So the NK didn't want a peace treaty? Were they somehow still hoping to have reunited the Korean peninsula through war?
          (sorry if my questions seem a bit off-topic, so let me try to relate it to this thread: a nuclear deterrent would seem to be a goal a paranoid North will want to have, considering that there's no peace treaty in place, and being labelled as a member of the "axis of evil"; heck, if I was under threat of war at anytime and called "evil" by the gov't most able to wage war, I'd be paranoid too)
          Depends on who you read Gman. But, and my own favorite has always been Clay Blair, the PRC forced their agreement to the truce. And they, still acting granted as quasi-proxies, imo have never abandonded that insanity.

As to paranoia. That's a direct responsibility of the old Man, Jr. and his followers. JFC. even Mao got tired of his/their BS. But I'm not the ROK history expert here. We got some fine posters living there who can and hopefully will join in.

Comment

Thanks again TD!
            "We have no white flag."

Comment

Gman, both the North and South were dragged kicking and screaming to the Armistice table. Neither has ever renounced their claim to 'all the national territory'. And, more to the point, they north has waged an on and off war for the past sixty years. (google "Blue House attack 1968", "Korea Rangoon bombing" and "North Korea blows up Korea Airlines" and "Kimpo Airport Bombing" to get an idea,) They insist that while they will sign a Peace Treaty with the U.S. (if the U.S. agrees to pull their troops out), they do not recognize the ROKs right to participate. In their view, they need the nuclear deterrent to keep the U.S. out once they reconquer the ROK by conventional means. And the simple fact is that they don't yet have any nuclear deterrent.
              dit: Lirelou

Phong trần mài một lưỡi gươm, Những loài giá áo túi cơm sá ǵ!

Comment

And that is one of those fellows i was talking about. good comment Shaun.

Comment

Originally posted by lirelou View Post
                  Gman, both the North and South were dragged kicking and screaming to the Armistice table. Neither has ever renounced their claim to 'all the national territory'. And, more to the point, they north has waged an on and off war for the past sixty years. (google "Blue House attack 1968", "Korea Rangoon bombing" and "North Korea blows up Korea Airlines" and "Kimpo Airport Bombing" to get an idea,) They insist that while they will sign a Peace Treaty with the U.S. (if the U.S. agrees to pull their troops out), they do not recognize the ROKs right to participate. In their view, they need the nuclear deterrent to keep the U.S. out once they reconquer the ROK by conventional means. And the simple fact is that they don't yet have any nuclear deterrent.
                  Thanks lirelou.

And to add to that, I guess neither does the north have the capability (anymore) to reconquer the south.

So essentially, the north did not want a peace treaty, or rather, a peace treaty with the south because they were holding out for a violent reunification?

They're quite behind the times already if they still hold on to that idea. Hopefully KJI wakes up to reality and starts peace talks with South Korea already.
                  "We have no white flag."

Comment

the north did not want a peace treaty, or rather, a peace treaty with the south because they were holding out for a violent reunification?
                    Back in the 50s, 60s, 70s, and 80s, the presumption was that violent reunification was the only way it would occur. Of course, the North, at times, felt that enough people supported them in the South that a take-over would be assisted by a very large 5th column. (As in 1968, when the highest number of armed infiltrations occurred). By the late '90s, it looked as if a peaceful reunification was possible as large numbers of young Koreans became more attuned to the North's propaganda. I've been away since late 2007, so am unaware of what the current situation is. My suspicion is that the current government and the latest naval battle have tipped the majority of ROK citizens against any peaceful reunification, unless it is on ROK terms. Be aware that such could change in just a few years.

Comment

Yeah, people's thinking can fluctuate so easily. But for the north to still expect a lot of the south to sympathize enough with them to actually WANT to be part of the north? I think that's already too much wishful thinking. The south can sympathize and want to give aid, but to be part of the north, I don't think so. And the sooner the north wakes up to this, the sooner they'll go to the negotiating table. Hopefully.
                      "We have no white flag."

Comment

Dman88. It pays to remember that the same nation that gave the world the 'Moonies" has also given it 'Juche". It would be best for all if the North were a bit more pragmatic. Reunification, which was the goal of both Korean states during the Korean War, remains the desire of the great majority of Koreans on both sides of the DMZ.

Comment

When I said "part of the north", I meant reunification by the north, not reunification as equals. Sorry for the unclear post.

Yes, the goal is reunification. But to be reunified under the North's system? That doesn't seem to be the case anymore, if it ever was. We all know where their system leads, and I can't imagine the south wanting it.
                          "We have no white flag."

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                          X