U.S. Backs South Korea in Cutting Trade With the North

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• U.S. Backs South Korea in Cutting Trade With the North

Tensions escalated sharply Monday on the Korean Peninsula as the South Korean president, Lee Myung-bak, said that his nation would sever nearly all trade with North Korea, deny North Korean merchant ships use of South Korean sea lanes and ask the United Nations Security Council to punish the North for what he called the deliberate sinking of a South Korean warship two months ago.
    http://www.nytimes.com/2010/05/25/wo...5korea.html?hp

The White House said Monday that President Barack Obama "fully supports" the South Korean president and his response to the torpedo attack by North Korea that sank a South Korean naval ship.

In a statement, the White House said Seoul can continue to count on the full backing of the United States and said U.S. military commanders had been told to work with their South Korean counterparts "to ensure readiness and to deter future aggression."

The administration said it endorsed President Lee Myung-bak's demand that "North Korea immediately apologize and punish those responsible for the attack, and, most importantly, stop its belligerent and threatening behavior."

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/37309788...s-asiapacific/
    Last edited by ipser; 24 May 10, 10:14.

ACT II

I wonder what III well be?
    "Ask not what your country can do for you"

Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

Comment

As I said in another thread "The bluff needs to be called". NK is a gangster state that is involved in drug trafficking, counterfeiting, terrorism, kidnapping, assassinations and only the Dear Leader knows what else. IMO they are a greater threat to world safety than any other enemy the west is fighting right now. Rest assured that if Al Qaeda gets a dirty bomb it will come from NK long before it gets one from Iran.
      Matthew 5:9 Blessed are the cheesemakers

That's right bitches. I'm blessed!

Comment

The sinking of the S. Korean corvette by a N. Korean torpedo is just another of a long list of criminal violations by that rouge country. North Korea has been suriving as a nation on borrowed time. Back in 1968 USS Pueblo was attacked in international waters we did nothing same year a USAF recon plane was blown out the sky by two MIG 15 aircraft 41 died no surviors we did nothing; it has to stop!

Comment

Wait until the US Mil starts returning thier dependents back to the States. Then we'll know things are getting serious, vey serious.

I can only hope the Korea/Koea question can be settlerd without a military conflict, but I seriously doubt that well happen.
          Last edited by Half Pint John; 24 May 10, 13:21.
          "Ask not what your country can do for you"

Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

Comment

http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTOE64N00Y20100524

Comment

Relations between North and South Korea, already strained over the sinking of a South Korean warship, deteriorated to their worst point in many years on Tuesday as the South Korean president redesignated the North as its archenemy, and the North retaliated by severing its few remaining ties with the South.

The moves heightened concerns about where the acrimony on the Korean Peninsula was heading.

North Korea’s state news agency said the North would cut off all communications between the countries, including a Red Cross contact at the border, as long as the South Korean president, Lee Myung-bak, was in office. The North also said it was expelling all South Korean officials, but not workers, from a joint industrial park at the North Korean town of Kaesong.

The North also banned South Korean ships and airplanes from using its territorial waters and airspace. On Tuesday, the South’s two main airlines, Korean Air and Asiana, began rerouting passenger jets to avoid North Korean airspace.

Earlier, President Lee said he would once again classify North Korea as his country’s main enemy, as the South Korean and United States militaries announced plans for major naval exercises in a show of combined force.
              http://www.nytimes.com/2010/05/26/wo...6korea.html?hp

Comment

South Korea's military is trying to find four North Korean submarines that have disappeared from tracking screens in the East Sea.
                http://au.news.yahoo.com/a/-/austral...f-norths-subs/

Comment

North Korea threatened to scrap all military assurance agreements with South Korea on Thursday and warned of an immediate attack should Seoul intrude on the disputed maritime border, further raising tensions on the peninsula.

Pyongyang’s threat to abandon the agreements – designed to prevent accidental armed clashes and protect the safety of South Korean workers in a Northern factory enclave – came as Seoul elevated its alert level and began anti-submarine exercises off the west coast of the peninsula.
                  http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/89aefe20-6...44feab49a.html

Comment

Yup, back them up Obama will...

As long as it involves nothing on his part. Cutting trade with NK, The One is all for it. Of course, the US has no trade with NK. Pretty bold stance there!

I wonder if The One realizes he is the main reason that this happened? That Little Kim sized him up and figured he could get away with a blatant act of war. Sad to say he appears to be correct.

Let's see how he ups the ante next time.
                    Save America!! Impeach Obama!!

Comment

Originally posted by Half Pint John View Post
                      Wait until the US Mil starts returning thier dependents back to the States. Then we'll know things are getting serious, vey serious.

I can only hope the Korea/Koea question can be settlerd without a military conflict, but I seriously doubt that well happen.
                      Indicators and warnings John.
                      Give me a fast ship and the wind at my back for I intend to sail in harms way! (John Paul Jones)

Initiated Chief Petty Officer
                      Hard core! Old School! Deal with it!

Comment

North Korea warned of an “all-out military strike” to destroy South Korean loudspeakers and other propaganda tools along their fortified border, according to the North’s state-run Korean Central News Agency.
                        http://preview.bloomberg.com/news/20...dspeakers.html

Comment

Originally posted by brownsfan View Post
                          The sinking of the S. Korean corvette by a N. Korean torpedo is just another of a long list of criminal violations by that rouge country. North Korea has been suriving as a nation on borrowed time. Back in 1968 USS Pueblo was attacked in international waters we did nothing same year a USAF recon plane was blown out the sky by two MIG 15 aircraft 41 died no surviors we did nothing; it has to stop!

By any chance was the USS Pueblo an intelligence ship?

Where was the recon plane shot down, and what were they doing there?
                          "We have no white flag."

Comment

Originally posted by GMan88 View Post
                            By any chance was the USS Pueblo an intelligence ship?
                            Yes, so what? It was in international waters.
                            Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedy. -- Ernest Benn

Comment

And by any chance was that intelligence ship gathering intelligence on North Korea?

The so what is, that ship isn't as innocent as you make it sound, right? How would the US take it if other nations' intelligence ships and recon planes were in "international" waters and airspace, gathering intel on the US bases too? I'm not condoning actions on international waters, but I prefer to reserve judgement until I have more data, thanks.
                              "We have no white flag."

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X