Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Succession struggles in North Korea?

I found this to be very interesting

On April 14, Kim Jong Il, North Korea's numero uno, bumped 100 generals up the career ladder. The North's official news agency described the move as a noble gesture to mark the birthday of Kim's deceased father, Kim Il Sung. It was the biggest group of senior officers he has promoted in 13 years.

So why would he do a thing like that?

Succession struggles in North Korea?

I think this deserves its own thread.
    Any metaphor will tear if stretched over too much reality.

Questions about our site? See the FAQ.

Comment

Maybe because the Generals have all the guns?

John
      The PLO claims ALL of Israel!!! There will and can NEVER be a "2 State solution".

Comment

Perhaps the military started showing signs of favouring some one else as the next dear leader, so Kim Jong-il had to buy enough hearts and minds to continue with his own transitional arrangements.
        "In modern war... you will die like a dog for no good reason."
        Ernest Hemingway.

"The more I learn about people, The more I love my dog".
        Mark Twain.

Comment

Originally posted by Achtung Baby View Post
          Perhaps the military started showing signs of favouring some one else as the next dear leader, so Kim Jong-il had to buy enough hearts and minds to continue with his own transitional arrangements.
          Yep, what he said. (Translated for others as "yes, I agree with your previous statement")

Comment

For all anyone knows for sure (which regarding NK is extremely slim), KJI enjoys the full support of his generals. Arguments that he made these promotions to ensure their loyalty, or to reward them for past loyalty, are likely on or close to the mark. In a way, it is a symbiotic relationship. KJI needs the generals to ensure his power (which is based upon two legacies: his fathers reputation and KJI's position as chairman of the National Defense Commission), and the generals are nothing without a Kim at the helm.Thus, this is unlikely to be signs of a succession 'struggle", but may be evidence that times are getting 'interesting' for the Kim dynasty.
            dit: Lirelou

Phong trần mài một lưỡi gươm, Những loài giá áo túi cơm sá ǵ!

Comment

Originally posted by The Ibis
              Foreignpolicy.com recently put up a fascinating article on this very issue titled Multiple Personality Disorder in Pyongyang. Answering the question why Kim would promote 100 generals, the author, Christian Caryl, writes:

and

The author concludes:

Anyway, the entire article is linked above. Its only three pages and makes for a fascinating read.

Thats the same article that I linked to in the OP

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
              X