How long!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How long!

I saw a documentary on North Korea on the television tonight. There was this North Korean guy who had smuggled some video tapes out of the country. It showed public execution of 3 persons for speaking against Kim Il Jong, it showed extreme hunger, dead people lying in the streets ect.
    There was also this North Korean woman who smuggled Sputh Korean videos in to the country...news, wheel of fortune and stuff like that, so that the North Koreans could see what it real was like "out there".

The people were beginning to wisper for a change among each other.

Here's another documentary I found on Youtube, its 53 minutes, but I found it quite interesting.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJ6E3cShcVU
    When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.
    Jimi Hendrix

Beginning to whisper for a change? I would say they have been crying inside for a change for a while now.

Comment

Originally posted by Miss.Saigon View Post
      Beginning to whisper for a change? I would say they have been crying inside for a change for a while now.
      Now they are expressing what they have felt for years, with the chance of getting shot.
      When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.
      Jimi Hendrix

Comment

Unfortunately there are no easy answers to these questions. Without strong provocation the world is not likely to act to remove him from outside, and unfortunately these types of people have shown themselves extremely resiliant at holding on against internal unpopularity and economic adversity.

Comment

I've seen the same Doc, very disturbing,

I can answer the question as to why no uprising, those who hold the reins and means the of power are the only ones eating well enough to act.......Hard to have a revolution if you are so weak from hunger, you can't hold your pitch fork any longer than a hour or so.

Simplistic but true enough.
          Eternal War(gaming) Armoured Struggle Car Bob

History does not record anywhere at any time a religion that has any rational basis.
          Lazarus Long

Draw the blinds on yesterday and it's all so much scarier....
          David Bowie

Comment

Comment

Unfortunately their isn't much the international community can do except to keep doing what they are. Staying engaged with the North diplomatically. Anything else we do could jeperdize the safety of south Korea. If the military solution was used 10 million people who live in Seoul would be the first under the gun. It seems that time and diplomacy are all the international community can do right now. Then their is the fact that North Korean children are taught early to hate Americans and that its our fault that Korea is divided. We'll just have to stay the course until Kim Il dies or someone who understands the plight of the people comes to power. I guess it's good luck on that one.
              "To the USA Commander of the encircled town of Bastogne. . .There is only one possibility. . .the honorable surrender of the encircled town."
              "To the German Commander: Nuts! The American Commander."
              Brig GEN McAuliffe response at Bastogne Dec 1944

Comment

This is good. The unfortunate president Roh's nose picking incident recently.

from London Times.

http://timesonline.typepad.com/urban...h-n-kim-7.html
                Last edited by ktnbs; 03 Oct 07, 23:25. Reason: not the dear leader's nose.
                I often think how much easier the world would have been to manage if Herr Hitler and Signor Mussolini had been at Oxford. Lord Halifax

Comment

President/Dictator/Evil Dwarf Kim is so deeply entrenched in power, and his hold on the people so tight that a revolution is impossible to organize, let alone start. Not only are North Korean kids taught to hate Americans, as mentioned, but the North Koreans are taught that there is no/very little electricity in the South and that Kim Il Sung invented the Korean alphabet. Education is so warped up there that we can't even comprehend it in the rest of the world -- he makes 1984 look like a piker!
                  Barcsi János ispán vezérőrnagy
                  Time Magazine's Person of the Year for 2003 & 2006

"Never pet a burning dog."

RECOMMENDED WEBSITES:
                  http://www.mormon.org
                  http://www.sca.org
                  http://www.scv.org/
                  http://www.scouting.org/

Comment

Originally posted by Janos View Post
                    ...... but the North Koreans are taught that there is no/very little electricity in the South and that Kim Il Sung invented the Korean alphabet. Education is so warped up there that we can't even comprehend it in the rest of the world -- he makes 1984 look like a piker!
                    I don't even know what to say to that.....
                    With such distorted ways of thinking, it makes me think that they would actually be easier to win over than, say, the Arabs. If they learned to hate us by having a good image of us and by something religious, then the truth can't be proven to them. If they actually believe that no one else has electricity or food, then the reality would be much different to them. It makes me think of old Soviet defector's stories, how they couldn't believe American grocery stores but saw so many of them that they eventually did.

Comment

This has been happening a lot in Vietnam.

---------------------------------------------

SEOUL, South Korea: Four North Koreans have entered the Danish Embassy in Vietnam in an apparent bid for eventual asylum in South Korea, an activist said Wednesday.

The refugees were a man and three women, the South Korean activist told The Associated Press on condition of anonymity due to the sensitivity of the information.

The Danish Embassy in Hanoi confirmed by telephone that a family of two adults and two children had entered the building, but gave no further information on how the case would be treated.

The activist said that the defectors wanted to travel to South Korea and had requested help from a South Korean Embassy in an unspecified country, but that their plea had been rejected.

In Vietnam, a South Korean Embassy official in charge of political affairs told the AP that the Vietnamese Foreign Ministry and the Danish Embassy were expected to consult on the issue and that South Korean diplomats were ready to help if asked. However, the official said there had been no direct request for help to the South Korean Embassy in Hanoi from the defectors. He asked not to be named, citing policy.

Thousands of North Koreans have fled their communist homeland to escape hunger and harsh political oppression, many taking a long and risky land journey through China to Thailand, Vietnam, Cambodia and other Southeast Asian countries on their way to eventual asylum in South Korea.

More than 10,000 North Koreans have defected to the South, with most arriving in recent years, since the Korean War ended in 1953.

South Korea has said it would accept any North Korean who wants to resettle in the South, but is concerned that the rapid increase in arrivals could strain inter-Korean ties and complicate international efforts to resolve the issue of the North's nuclear program.

In 2004, South Korea airlifted about 460 North Koreans out of Vietnam — the biggest mass defection ever — drawing rebukes from Pyongyang and leading to a chill in inter-Korean relations.

Comment

Originally posted by Miss.Saigon View Post
                        This has been happening a lot in Vietnam.

---------------------------------------------
                        Yes, I've saw a News Doc some time ago, about NK's trying this though our embassies in Asia, and we were turning them away at great risk to their lives. Our policy has since been changed. I hate to say this but some of the most racist people and behavior comes from our embassy personnel. We should fire the lot of them, as they don't represent me as a Canadian.

ROK should tell Kim No Dong to get stuffed and join the 21st century.
                        Eternal War(gaming) Armoured Struggle Car Bob

History does not record anywhere at any time a religion that has any rational basis.
                        Lazarus Long

Draw the blinds on yesterday and it's all so much scarier....
                        David Bowie

Comment

Originally posted by M.Joensen View Post
                          I saw a documentary on North Korea on the television tonight. There was this North Korean guy who had smuggled some video tapes out of the country. It showed public execution of 3 persons for speaking against Kim Il Jong, it showed extreme hunger, dead people lying in the streets ect.
                          There was also this North Korean woman who smuggled Sputh Korean videos in to the country...news, wheel of fortune and stuff like that, so that the North Koreans could see what it real was like "out there".

Here's another documentary I found on Youtube, its 53 minutes, but I found it quite interesting.
                          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJ6E3cShcVU

Well, I wouldn`t exactly call Wheel of Fortune a representation of how it really is "out there". But I`m sure what they saw must have shocked them to the core. I remember when I was looking at pictures from a Russian photographer and a documentary about life in North Korea and it`s not preety. The recent famine made things even worse.
                          "Beneath its gilded beauty, though, there lies a poorly designed game which rewards the greedy and violent, and punishes the hardworking and honest; and if you think about it, that's a good representation of capitalism" - Nightfreeze about Eve Online

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                          X