Documentary On American Deserter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Documentary On American Deserter

This is from 2007. It's about James J. Dresnok, an American who deserted to N. Korea. Fascinating documentary.

It's been recently uploaded to Youtube and the sound is much better and in-sync with the film. Unlike the other version.

I searched to see if this was posted here and couldn't find it. Sorry if it's been posted before.
    Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.

Fascinating, I've always been interested in North Korea after serving in the south back in the 80's. Good quality too!!!!Thank you very much.
    "Beer if proof, that God wants us to be happy!" - Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Thanks

Thanks for the videos.
      Kevin Kenneally
      Masters from a school of "hard knocks"
      Member of a Ph.D. Society (Post hole. Digger)

Comment

So informative!

Thanks for posting this.

Philip
        "The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." Bertrand Russell

Comment

You're welcome.

I've watched it 3 times now and still can't figure out why he really did it. That business about the passes just doesn't seem like a good enough reason to desert to a country that's completely alien to anything he would've known.

He's not a sympathetic character at all. I tend to believe that he would've hit Jenkins,one of the other deserters who eventually came back. (at least to Japan anyway) There's a part in the movie where he talks about feeling up Jenkins' wife with Jenkins and other people in the room and seems proud of it.

And I wonder if he truly believes that Dear Leader garbage he spewed on and off through the whole documentary. The motives behind Dresnok's actions are unfathomable to me.

Comment

We 've watched it in France and indeed this guy is a straaange guy.For who does he work?Himself surely..Thanks for the reminder Sir!
            That rug really tied the room together

Comment

No, I think at the time he was just a strange young dude that probably hated the military and wanted out, jumped the broom and found no way back. I do not sympathize with him in any way, and find him merely to be a deserter and a social misfit.

Comment

An update on Charles Robert Jenkins, the deserter who finally left NK and went to Japan. His memoirs were referred to in the documentary as being published only in Japanese. They have been available in English since 2008 under the title The Reluctant Communist: My Desertion, Court-Martial, and Forty-Year Imprisonment in North Korea.

I'm thinking about ordering this in the near future.

If anybody's read it, please post your thoughts on it.

Comment

Letting him put that uniform back on for any reason (court martial...etc.) makes me want to puke. I have no sympathy for him.

Comment

Originally posted by RuselUpsomegrub View Post
                    Letting him put that uniform back on for any reason (court martial...etc.) makes me want to puke. I have no sympathy for him.
                    Presume you're speaking of Jenkins in the post above yours.

I don't either, but he had to put it back on in order to stand for his court martial. He got off way, way too light.

What did you think of Dresnok, who's still there?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Karri
                      Prawn heads
                      by Karri
                      How do you cook them? How do you eat them?

So far I've always just twisted them off, and discarded it along with the shells and such, only...
                      Yesterday, 11:40
                    • Jose50
                      Thoughts on the US abandoning NATO
                      by Jose50
                      Now may be a good time for the NATO countries to start beefing up their materiel, personnel and alliances. There is a decided wave here in the US that...
                      Yesterday, 08:41
                    • Von Richter
                      Sagittarius Rising...
                      by Von Richter
                      Just having a re-read of this book after it's stood for donkey's years on the bookshelf. Once again, within the first couple of pages, I'm transported...
                      Yesterday, 01:19
                    Working...
                    X