Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How Should US Deal with China Long-term?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You'd be amazed at the incredible employment opportunities for those who learn foreign languages. It is well worth the effort.
    "Stand for the flag ~ Kneel for the fallen"

"A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer." ~ Bruce Lee

Comment

• China

Why do we care,they were buying are debt off.They now have to sale it to somebody else.Now there screwed.WHY DO WE FEAR CHINA?Tell China to suck an egg!

Comment

• You must be a lib!

Stay on the left coast,and your probley a teacher.Speak your tonges some place else.I speak ENGLISH!

Comment

• Originally posted by mike dunn View Post
          Stay on the left coast,and your probley a teacher.Speak your tonges some place else.I speak ENGLISH!
          Good for you.

Comment

Not very well however.
            Any metaphor will tear if stretched over too much reality.

Questions about our site? See the FAQ.

Comment

"A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer." ~ Bruce Lee

Comment

• Originally posted by Persephone View Post
                I'm German and even I speak better English.

No offense though Mike.

Comment

• Originally posted by GMan88 View Post
                  And what exactly are these allegations? How are they being restricted? That's what I'd like to know. And, is this applicable to Tibetans only? China has hundreds of minorities, and as far as I know, state-funded education is mandarin (as well it should be, considering it's the national language). And, how different is this over here in the Philippines, where schools are mandated to teach in Pilipino (no schools teach the local dialects)? Nobody makes a big fuss about it.

My (personal) question to you then is, is it wrong for the state to mandate the teaching of the national language (mandarin or pilipino)? Personally, I think it's the prerogative of the State to do so, and since it's the state's coffers that's paying for it, so long as the establishment of other schools teaching other languages aren't disallowed, I see nothing wrong with it.
                  That's the problem. The PRC are trying to suppress the Tibetans from speaking their native tongue. They take it as disrespectful that the Tibetans resist learning the national language, first and foremost. The Chinese are big on respect and face.

I don't mind you not having links for all statements. It's perfectly understandable that not all that is claimed is provable by citing a source, and not all source necessarily can prove a truth (in short, not everything written is correct, either). In general I just need to know the basis, whether based on a report or an opinion piece (a world of difference, right?), of personal or other people's experience (direct as opposed to hearsay, again a world of difference), etc. Add in the factor of anonymity of these forums, which can be mitigated or exacerbated by long acquaintance of the people here. These of course should help form in our minds how large (or small) a grain of salt we take with people's posts.
                  That's good to know. Because there are many times I would love to reply to your postings but I just don't have the material for you. Some things you just know. Sometimes from sources you may deem suspect.

Sometimes I notice when the word "Tibet" and "oppression" is mentioned, it's like all logic flies out the window, and people simply accept the claim (new or old) as TRUTH. I honestly find it a bit weird.
                  This is because the Tibetans are being mistreated by the PRC. Some sympathized with their plight and like to make it known every chance they get.

And I find that when I questioned that guy about his BASIS (note, not just "source"), it's like he was on his high horse feeling so offended that someone would be asking for a basis and not simply take what he said as TRUTH. (the nerve of that GMan88 hahaha).
                  You also have to see how you responded to his post. You had a bit of sarcasm showing as well.

I'd like to know what some of those "stuff" are. If it shocked you, it'll most likely shock me, too
                  Haha, I think you would find some way to defend them, TBH.

Comment

• GMan,

I'd have thought the fact that the Dalai Lama is revered by, and represents the cultural aspirations of, the great majority of Tibetans, while Beijing consistently refuse to talk to him about his perfectly non-threatening proposals, tells you all you need to know about China's treatment of Tibet.

But lets keep it at now and not get into a historical debate about Tibet/China.

We did that at length before.

Remember?

Philip
                    "The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." Bertrand Russell

Comment

That's the problem. The PRC are trying to suppress the Tibetans from speaking their native tongue. They take it as disrespectful that the Tibetans resist learning the national language, first and foremost. The Chinese are big on respect and face.
                      Yes, but how are they being suppressed from speaking their native tongue? (I'd honestly like to know) And more importantly, how is it any different from, say, how we do it here in the Philippines where ALL public schools teach using either our national language, or english, not the local dialect.

That's good to know. Because there are many times I would love to reply to your postings but I just don't have the material for you. Some things you just know. Sometimes from sources you may deem suspect.
                      If I deem a source suspect, I must have reason to do so. Sometimes "knowing" is enough, sometimes it isn't. But this forum is for sharing, both the good and the bad; we expect people to react, that's the just the way it is. And a reply, be it well-sourced or not, is still good as it gives some food for thought and is good even if only to see things from a different perspective (although I might or might not agree with it )

This is because the Tibetans are being mistreated by the PRC. Some sympathized with their plight and like to make it known every chance they get.
                      How are they being mistreated? As I said, I read an article years ago that criticized the PRC government of "leaving behind" Tibet in it's quest for progress... that Tibet is stuck where it was decades ago... and now that progress has come with the railway and highway and "immigrants", the same critics are now saying the PRC government is eroding Tibetan culture. I guess it's a damned if you do damned if you don't scenario.

You also have to see how you responded to his post. You had a bit of sarcasm showing as well.
                      If you'll note, not on my first post. It wasn't until I was too flabbergasted at his "clarificatory" reply that I couldn't help it.

Haha, I think you would find some way to defend them, TBH.
                      [/QUOTE]

Maybe I would, if I see there's something "defendable" about it. If not, I HAVE been known to agree, too, you know But anyway that's part of why there's a forum, isn't it?

BTW, my hat's off to you. Learning the 3 languages/dialects couldn't have been easy.
                      Last edited by GMan88; 08 Jun 11, 02:46.
                      "We have no white flag."

Comment

• Originally posted by philiplaos View Post
                        GMan,

I'd have thought the fact that the Dalai Lama is revered by, and represents the cultural aspirations of, the great majority of Tibetans, while Beijing consistently refuse to talk to him about his perfectly non-threatening proposals, tells you all you need to know about China's treatment of Tibet.

But lets keep it at now and not get into a historical debate about Tibet/China.

We did that at length before.

Remember?

Philip
                        Actually, (strictly speaking for myself of course) sorry it doesn't tell me anything.

If the Dalai Lama (whose receiving of the title traditionally has to be "confirmed") were a purely spiritual leader, I think there wouldn't be a problem. But the one's refusal to give up one's political "leadership" should also explain somewhat the other's refusal to "talk to him".

GMan
                        Last edited by GMan88; 08 Jun 11, 02:39.
                        "We have no white flag."

Comment

• Originally posted by GMan88 View Post
                          BTW, my hat's off to you. Learning the 3 languages/dialects couldn't have been easy.
                          Actually, it's not so difficult after I got the first one down, then other 2 were much easier to grasp. Like I said, a lot of it is in the tonage.

I tried learning Filipino from a friend, but I only ended up learning the bad words.

I also studied French and Spanish as well.

Comment

Actually, it's not so difficult after I got the first one down, then other 2 were much easier to grasp. Like I said, a lot of it is in the tonage.

I tried learning Filipino from a friend, but I only ended up learning the bad words.

I also studied French and Spanish as well.
                            Still, mastering even the first one is still something. hehehe, learning the bad words is usually the easiest, for some reason
                            "We have no white flag."

Comment

• Originally posted by ChinaDan View Post
                              I am not sure where to start on something like this thread. I see many of the leftist myths about China are firmly rooted in the minds of some people here.

ASEAN ...the org. of Southeast Asian nations has clearly indicated they see the USA as a stabilizing force in this region. China is seen as the threat to stability by these countries. Correctly so, I will add.

Tibet and Inner Mongolia are two examples of Chinese aggression. The people there are forced to learn Chinese and marry Chinese and the old policy of importing lots of Chinese people into these areas is in full effect. The unrest in these areas rarely makes to western media outlets.

Chinese maps already indicate Taiwan as part of mainland China and any citizen will happily tell you, "everybody knows Taiwan is part of China"...whenever you hear everybody knows, you are about to hear a bit of propaganda here. A point of future aggresion.

The standard of living in China...it has improved but the average person here lives in a cold water flat with no heat in the winter. They have been conditioned not to run the heater if they have one. China is very aware of the problems in feeding and supporting 1.44 billion people.

The coastal regions of China in no way reflect the interior of China. Pollution is terrible. Many of the kids here don't know the sky is supposed to be blue, they think white is the normal color. Contaminants in the food supply and regulation of it is a huge struggle, especially since most of the food producers are small manufacturers operating largely uninspected factories. Note: a chinese factory is just a building where near slave labor is taking place...there are no controls set in place for hygiene or sanitation...this is true of most of mainland China. It is a dirty place.

China owns about 27% of the the two thirds of our debt we allow to be foreign-owned. So, about 18% of the total...hardly gives them control of us.

Academic fraud is rampant and perhaps even encouraged. Everything is fake here including the education. China graduates are becoming less and less attractive in certain parts of the world due to their lack of real training. They graduated 100,000 engineers last year but when they want something done, they bring in the German engineers. Hmm, looks like you lot are good for something besides beer-making...and attempting world conquest every 40 0r 50 years or so...

The whole country is one big Orwellian experiment in mind control...hmm, no wonder they are so popular with the liberal types...

Mainland China is a place devoid of law, order, common courtesy or civilized behavior.

The Chinese have a saying that explains them...Bully the weak, fear the strong...that is who they are...
                              Of my limited time there, I'd agree with much of this.

Comment

• Originally posted by copenhagen View Post
                                Of my limited time there, I'd agree with much of this.
                                Truth is, I'd agree with much of it, too, except for some of those that I don't
                                "We have no white flag."

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X