Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How Should US Deal with China Long-term?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• To GMan88...I am behind the Great Firewall of China, so you are in a much better position to find the sources you desire. The internet is censored in China and I must use a proxy to visit certain sites, etc...I will recommend you try googling unrest in Tibet or Mongolians forced to learn Chinese and see what you find. You can also try Amnesty International. I don't really want to use my paid proxy time to dig up links for someone else, no offense but I am okay with people believing or not what I post.

If you really want to see what people get up to here...try Chinasmack.com...more of a daily life type of site, but be careful...there are some things you may find very offensive there. As far as ChinaDaily's English version, you will find nothing negative about the Chinese government there. For myself, I learned from a college student from Mongolia what was happening there. As far as Tibet, it is off limits to foreigners unless they travel in a group and then of course, their access is strictly limited to what the Chinese want you to see. A Potemkins' Village so to speak.
    I smell Troll...too bad the ignore list can't get rid of that

Comment

• Originally posted by Persephone View Post
      During the Ming Dynasty, as a way to be protected from Han Chinese prejudice, the Hui must marry, speak, and dress Chinese. The Hui comes from Arab, Persian, Central Asian, and Mongol origins.
      Uhh.. ancient history... anything more recent?
      "We have no white flag."

Comment

• Originally posted by ChinaDan View Post
        To GMan88...I am behind the Great Firewall of China, so you are in a much better position to find the sources you desire. The internet is censored in China and I must use a proxy to visit certain sites, etc...I will recommend you try googling unrest in Tibet or Mongolians forced to learn Chinese and see what you find. You can also try Amnesty International. I don't really want to use my paid proxy time to dig up links for someone else, no offense but I am okay with people believing or not what I post.

If you really want to see what people get up to here...try Chinasmack.com...more of a daily life type of site, but be careful...there are some things you may find very offensive there. As far as ChinaDaily's English version, you will find nothing negative about the Chinese government there. For myself, I learned from a college student from Mongolia what was happening there. As far as Tibet, it is off limits to foreigners unless they travel in a group and then of course, their access is strictly limited to what the Chinese want you to see. A Potemkins' Village so to speak.
        I see. It's not about whether you're fine or not whether you're believed or not. It's about being responsible enough to back what you say, otherwise people can just make claims and say they're fine with people not believing them.

No doubt there've been unrest in Tibet, etc. So too in other countries.

I find I agree with some points you've made, but the quote I put forward in my last post is really surprising to me, which is why I asked if you have any sources/proof of your claim.

BTW, what is it that you do there? I've been to other countries, and my trips have hardly made me an authority on those places.
        "We have no white flag."

Comment

• Originally posted by GMan88 View Post
          I see. It's not about whether you're fine or not whether you're believed or not. It's about being responsible enough to back what you say, otherwise people can just make claims and say they're fine with people not believing them.

No doubt there've been unrest in Tibet, etc. So too in other countries.

I find I agree with some points you've made, but the quote I put forward in my last post is really surprising to me, which is why I asked if you have any sources/proof of your claim.

BTW, what is it that you do there? I've been to other countries, and my trips have hardly made me an authority on those places.
          He's been living in China teaching English for years.
          "The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made."
          Groucho Marx

Comment

• Originally posted by Ricthofen View Post
            Crushing force meaning the world's largest army of professionally-trained soldiers, decently-modern technology, and an economy not hopelessly in debt and falling apart.

Claiming the US could even hope to win against both Pakistan and China, or even just China alone. in any war there, is ridiculous. The slightest notion of war means trade cut-offs with China for the US, which means the fragile threads the American economy is hanging on will be severed.
            That's a poor analysis of what a war would mean economically. China would be far worse hit than the US.

Comment

• Originally posted by Catman View Post
              He's been living in China teaching English for years.
              Yes, and...?

Curious, he doesn't happen to have taught here in the philippines, too, has he?
              "We have no white flag."

Comment

Yes, and...?

Curious, he doesn't happen to have taught here in the philippines, too, has he?
                No. He is married to a Philippines lady. You'd have to ask him about that.

Full disclosure: Danny and I are old friends.

You can check out his personal profile on his page. He lays it all out there.
                "The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made."
                Groucho Marx

Comment

• Okay. I still hope he can provide any link or experience or anything.
                  "We have no white flag."

Comment

• Originally posted by ChinaDan View Post
                    I am not sure where to start on something like this thread. I see many of the leftist myths about China are firmly rooted in the minds of some people here.

Tibet and Inner Mongolia are two examples of Chinese aggression. The people there are forced to learn Chinese and marry Chinese and the old policy of importing lots of Chinese people into these areas is in full effect. The unrest in these areas rarely makes to western media outlets.

I would have to disagree in part with this. The issue of Tibet and its colonisation by China is relatively well known, or at least used to be, and covered by the Western media. However, I would agree that Inner Mongolia has not become an issue or a public concern in the way Tibet did.
                    Last edited by GCoyote; 03 Jun 11, 21:35. Reason: [/QUOTE]
                    "Patriotism is your conviction that this country is superior to all other countries because you were born in it"
                    G.B Shaw

"They promised us homes fit for heroes, they give us heroes fit for homes."
                    Grandad, Only Fools and Horses

Comment

• Keep in mind...the info that does come out on Tibet is limited to; what the people who risk their lives, can sneak out to the outside world.

I agree, the media has been ignoring the plight in inner Mongolia for years. They only recently started reporting on it.
                      "Stand for the flag ~ Kneel for the fallen"

"A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer." ~ Bruce Lee

Comment

Uhh.. ancient history... anything more recent?
                        I'll see what I do on something more recent.

"A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer." ~ Bruce Lee

Comment

• Originally posted by Persephone View Post
                          Keep in mind...the info that does come out on Tibet is limited to; what the people who risk their lives, can sneak out to the outside world.

I agree, the media has been ignoring the plight in inner Mongolia for years. They only recently started reporting on it.
                          Oh come now, surely people can record a lot more incidents if something is really so widespread. Plus, surely IF there is anything, it shouldn't be so hard to "sneak out to the outside world"? with the numbers of foreign tourists, SURELY the authorities haven't been checking into their each and every CD DVD or any other recording devices. Have they?
                          "We have no white flag."

Comment

• There are people sentenced to death for lessor offenses. They torture and interrogate those caught, then long prison sentences or death.

Although, it has gotten better in recent years...

Comment

• To be honest, that's quite the opposite of what I heard. I know a local there, and he said the police are even AFRAID of hurting the criminal because their families/connections/gang might get back at them! Maybe that's for the more common criminals, though, and not the political ones? Can't say.

BTW, that's a cute avatar
                              "We have no white flag."

Comment

• And so it begins...

Originally posted by GMan88 View Post
                                Oh come now, surely people can record a lot more incidents if something is really so widespread. Plus, surely IF there is anything, it shouldn't be so hard to "sneak out to the outside world"? with the numbers of foreign tourists, SURELY the authorities haven't been checking into their each and every CD DVD or any other recording devices. Have they?
                                Exactly how would someone record people being forced to learn Chinese or being forced into marriage with Chinese or their country being colonized by the Chinese? Are we assuming there are Chinese soldiers standing on the corner yelling,"you must learn Chinese"? They would also have to do this in English for the average tourist to understand what was being said. Of course that is not how it is done, instead you make all business transactions legal only if done in Chinese. You teach Chinese (and English)only in the schools ignoring the native tongue. Do you really think that if a police action is about to happen, the local authorities are going to allow tourists to stand around with cameras and cell phones and record what happens? What the Chinese are doing in these places is of an insidious nature which is generally how they operate.

Judging from your CD or DVD comment, I will assume you are unclear on what a proxy or the Chinese firewall does. For example: If I type Tianamen Square into google while sitting behind the Chinese firewall, not only will I not be able to reach any of the links presented by the search engine, I will also temporarily lose my connection if I click on them. This is no accident. The Chinese censor a lot of information. I included several search terms for you and gave you a website not to mention included an anecdotal experience. I also gave you a Chinese website that sometimes has some shocking behavior exhibited on it that might give you a clearer picture of Chinese culture. I don't think it matters if I give you links or not. You will only see what you want to see. You dismiss Tibetan unrest as ancient history, yes, all the way back to 2008. It is such a kinder China now.
                                I smell Troll...too bad the ignore list can't get rid of that

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X