Mongolia to boom

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mongolia to boom

Mining companies are flocking to Mongolia to buy their resources like gold,copper,coal and tungsten,a new business friendly government is bringing foreigners in,hopefully future governments don't screw things up for Mongolia and start nationalizing the mines.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/n...tral-Asia.html
    Last edited by VinceW; 11 Apr 10, 19:42.

Wow. Let's hope they put the money into recurring return investments. Otherwise, it's going to be a "one-off" and once it runs out...
    "We have no white flag."

Comment

They should put some of their revenue into a savings fund like they do in Norway and here in Alberta with the oil and gas.

Comment

Trapped as they are between Russia and China, an even more difficult place to be than Poland, they need to be clever.

If I were them, I would look into how the Swiss do things.

They also need to learn how to do for themselves. After a century, Panama's people still don't know how to run the Canal, and that ain't good for them.

Comment

Originally posted by Exorcist View Post
          Trapped as they are between Russia and China, an even more difficult place to be than Poland, they need to be clever.
          They already are. All it takes is not teaching their neighbours how to live, what to do, spit in their direction several times a day and endlessly whine "Repent, unworthy asiatic untermenschen". Maybe it is the genes of the great Khan which made them so wise, but anyway such policies work wonders
          www.histours.ru

Siege of Leningrad battlefield tour

Comment

Yeah Mongolia seems to get along well, for what they are. My mother in law worked there as an engineer in the 80s helping to build all kinds of infrastructure. My sister in law was with her and hated it, but still can decently speak the language oddly enough. She hated every minute of being there though.
            Кто там?
            Это я - Почтальон Печкин!
            Tunis is a Carthigenian city!

Comment

"Boom" might also be a relative term. They are starting with goat-herders and horse races over there, and not much else.

And damn, could Shaa be a little MORE paranoid?
              Not bloody likely....

Comment

They also need to learn how to do for themselves. After a century, Panama's people still don't know how to run the Canal, and that ain't good for them.
                Well, Switzerland is actually "liveable" whereas much of Mongolia is desert, tundra, and steppe - and most of the country dips into the -30s'C or -20s'F during much of the winter.

IIRC, there was recently an extremely harsh winter storm which killed a huge number of their farm animals.
                Surrender? NutZ!
                -Varro

Regard your soldiers as your children, and they will follow you into the deepest valleys; look on them as your own beloved sons, and they will stand by you even unto death. -Sun Tzu

Comment

Originally posted by Intranetusa View Post
                  Well, Switzerland is actually "liveable" whereas much of Mongolia is desert, tundra, and steppe - and most of the country dips into the -30s'C or -20s'F during much of the winter.

IIRC, there was recently an extremely harsh winter storm which killed a huge number of their farm animals.
                  Yet another people who have probably heard enough about Global Warming!

BUt I'm not so sure about the "livable" part. Most of Switzerland is mountainous with lots of bare rock. I doubt they have fun in the winter outside that valley system in the NW.

And, by a Swiss solution, I was referring to a National Militia, banking and high-tech industries, the things that make it highly un-profitable to invade a country.

Comment

Do the Swiss thing?????

Day and night. Two countrys that could not be more different. One, a highly industrialized country with a dense population in a small area, well educated population and highly skilled workers with a world class infrastrue.

Mongolian, is none of the above.

Which hole did you pull "don't know how to run the Canal" out of. It isn't based on fact.

http://www.acp.gob.pa/eng/index.html

http://www.allbusiness.com/caribbean/777697-1.html

Efficiency and maintenance
                    There were fears that efficiency and maintenance would suffer following the U.S. withdrawal; however, this does not appear to be the case. Capitalizing on practices developed during the American administration, canal operations are improving under Panamanian control.[30] Canal Waters Time (CWT), the average time it takes a vessel to navigate the canal, including waiting time, is a key measure of efficiency; according to the ACP, CWT is decreasing.

The accident rate during the fourth quarter of fiscal year 2008 was 0.29 accidents per 1000 transits, down 66.9% from 0.89 accidents per 1,000 transits during the same quarter the year prior. An official accident is one in which a formal investigation is requested and conducted.[31]

Increasing volumes of imports from Asia which previously landed on the U.S. west coast ports are now passing through the canal to the American east coast.[32] The total number of oceangoing transits increased to 3,157 in the fourth quarter of fiscal year 2008 from 3,147 transits year-over-year (the Canalís fiscal year runs from October to September). This has been coupled with a steady rise in average ship size and in the numbers of Panamax vessels passing, so that the total tonnage carried has risen steadily from 227.9 million PC/UMS tons in fiscal year 1999 to 309.6 million tons in 2008. The Canal set a traffic record in fiscal year 2007 when 312 million tons transited the waterway.[2][33] Despite the reduction in total transits due to the negative impact of vessel size, e.g., the inability of large vessels to cross in the Gaillard Cut), this represents significant overall growth in canal capacity.

A bucket dredge works to deepen and widen the canal.The Panama Canal Authority (ACP) has invested nearly US$1 billion in widening and modernising the canal, with the aim of increasing capacity by 20%.[34] The ACP cites a number of major improvements: included among them are the widening and straightening of the Gaillard Cut to reduce restrictions on crossing vessels; the deepening of the navigational channel in Gatun Lake to reduce draft restrictions and improve water supply; and the deepening of the Atlantic and Pacific entrances of the canal. This is supported by new equipment, such as a new drill barge and suction dredger, and an increase of the tug boat fleet by 20%. In addition, improvements have been made to the operating machinery of the canal, including an increased and improved tug locomotive fleet, the replacement of more than 16 km of locomotive track, and new lock machinery controls. Improvements have been made to the traffic management system to allow more efficient control over ships in the canal.[35]

The withdrawal of the U.S. has allowed Panama to sell excess electricity produced by the canal's dams, which was previously prohibited by the U.S. government[citation needed]. Only 25% of the hydroelectric power produced in the canal system is required to run the canal[citation needed]
                    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panama_...nd_maintenance

"Ask not what your country can do for you"

Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

youíre entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

Comment

Originally posted by VinceW View Post
                      Mining companies are flocking to Mongolia to buy their resources like gold,copper,coal and tungsten,a new business friendly government is bringing foreigners in,hopefully future governments don't screw things up for Mongolia and start nationalizing the mines.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/n...tral-Asia.html
                      So when is the next world ravaging horde due?
                      Standing here, I realize you were just like me trying to make history.
                      But who's to judge the right from wrong.
                      When our guard is down I think we'll both agree.
                      That violence breeds violence.
                      But in the end it has to be this way.

Comment

Which hole did you pull "don't know how to run the Canal" out of. It isn't based on fact.

Then why is Red China needed, for their PR expertise?

In order to cash in on the cash-rich Chinese, Panama manipulated the bidding process, holding repeated rounds of bids, for leases for the U.S.-built ports of Cristobal on the Atlantic end of the canal and Balboa on the Pacific end. The 50-year leases were awarded to a Chinese Hong Kong corporation named Hutchison Whampoa operating under the name Hutchison Port Holdings.

http://www.eagleforum.org/psr/1999/nov99/psrnov99.html

That is one reason why Red China supports expanding the Panama Canal to handle larger container ships.
                        http://www.google.com/search?ie=UTF-...hina+in+Panama

bleh.... who cares?
                        Another source-driven flame war, just forget it.

Just want to say that I know Mongolia is not a perfect match for Switzerland in every way from top to bottom right at this moment.
                        What I am trying to say is that they could learn and build themselves up in a useful way if they followed certain examples, and the Swiss ones seem especially helpful.

Just because they have no infrastructure now does not mean they can't or should not try to build one.
                        This mining boom can be used, in part, to build some small industries that use what is mined.

Thats it, say whatever, I'm done with this.

Comment

And luckily for the Chinese...

The major mining site is close to it's border. Let's hope the people make out from this, not just the "connected". The government is still getting it's act together; definitely not Major League yet. Of course, that's not surprising as most of the population is dirt poor, uneducated, and live in yurts. A while back the government suddenly, unilaterally completely changed the terms on the contracts they had signed. They wanted a huge cut of the proceeds. All the major mining companies refused, and things ground to a halt for a while. They have that settled now (it is hoped) so things are proceeding a pace.

I have a friend who goes there a lot for Caterpillar. It seems there big problem is getting those huge mining machines to the sites. Unfortunately they're 150 miles or so from where the rail spur ends. So they have to drive each one of the beasts "cross country"! Evidently that's not too easy. But hey, "Thars gold in them thar hills". And it's going for $1,200/oz. They'll get the machines there.
                          Save America!! Impeach Obama!!

Comment

Progress is coming very slowly for Mongolia. Aside from minerals, what else do they have to offer the world? Are they self-sufficient, or are they net importers?
                            "We have no white flag."

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                            X