How do you organize a billion people?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do you organize a billion people?

Biometric identity project in India aims to provide for poor, end corruption

Millions of Indians like Chaurasia are unable to tap into government and financial services because they lack proper identification. And, many here say that corrupt officials routinely stuff welfare databases with fake names and steal money meant for the poor.

But a mammoth project underway aims to address that problem by assigning all Indians a unique identity number backed by their biometric details and storing that information in a gigantic online database. The government says the new system -- which its creator calls a "turbocharged version" of the Social Security number -- will cut fraud and ensure that people who need assistance can get it.
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...032701460.html
    Any metaphor will tear if stretched over too much reality.

Questions about our site? See the FAQ.

This would be great if they can pull it off. Good initiative, trying to uplift the poor.
    "We have no white flag."

Comment

It will be world wide in the future too. The globalization of it will likely start with credit cards to help curb identity theft with the social justice as a secondary perk. Just my take.

Comment

Will privacy be protected? I remember here when the government wanted to issue a National ID System, the people rose up in alarm, as they were afraid (maybe quite reasonably too) that the national multiagency database would be a means to tightly monitor people.
        "We have no white flag."

Comment

My best guess

Originally posted by GMan88 View Post
          Will privacy be protected? I remember here when the government wanted to issue a National ID System, the people rose up in alarm, as they were afraid (maybe quite reasonably too) that the national multiagency database would be a means to tightly monitor people.
          Would be a 'no'. The Bejing government values order and consensus, not personal privacy.

Did you see this one?

Go Daddy Cuts Off Chinese Domain-Name Registration
          Last edited by GCoyote; 09 Apr 10, 21:56.

Comment

ACORN, my friends!

Community organizers are needed!
            Flag: USA / Location: West Coast

Prayers.

BoRG

http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/8757/snap1ws8.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PtsX_Z3CMU

Comment

Originally posted by GCoyote View Post
              Would be a 'no'. The Bejing government values order and consensus, not personal privacy.

Did you see this one?

Go Daddy Cuts Off Chinese Domain-Name Registration

Ah? I wasn't referring to the Beijing government, but the government where I currently am.
              "We have no white flag."

Comment

Originally posted by GMan88 View Post
                Ah? I wasn't referring to the Beijing government, but the government where I currently am.
                Good question! If you dig up an answer in English, post it here so we can compare.

Comment

A billion is too many.

Within a generation, I expect that the populations of both Asian giants will collapse faster than the US budget, and for similar reasons.

Welcome to interesting times.

Comment

Originally posted by Exorcist View Post
                    A billion is too many.

Within a generation, I expect that the populations of both Asian giants will collapse faster than the US budget, and for similar reasons.

Welcome to interesting times.
                    Now that would be really interesting..

Not that I see it happening.
                    According to World Bank:
                    India's population
                    1094583000 in 2005
                    1139964932 in 2008

China's population
                    1303720000 in 2005
                    1324655000 in 2008

Comment

China's growing prosperity will curb it's population growth but India's population is still expected to grow.
                      ´
                      “You need to help people. I know it's not very Republican to say but you need to help people.” DONALD TRUMP, 2016

Comment

How will prosperity curb population growth?

I can accept the fact that as most of India's rural income is from agriculture, the more hands the merrier is the buzz.

Comment

As a country becomes more the prosper, the cost of living does too and so people have less kids than poor countries where those kids could be extra help on the farms.
                          ´
                          “You need to help people. I know it's not very Republican to say but you need to help people.” DONALD TRUMP, 2016

Comment

I am not sure how China's economic progress has affected all people in China. In India, there is a huge divide between the rich and the poor. There are 2 Indians in the top 10 richest men in the world list and there are scores of people who cannot afford a single meal.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                            X