Kangaroos- A Query

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kangaroos- A Query

I see in the news that some kid was arrested for deliberately running over a score or more kangaroos. How are kangaroos viewed in Australia? As something to protected? A pest (like coyotes here)? Are they hunted, and if so are there limits, and seasons?

The story just sparked my curiosity a little.
    Last edited by Tuebor; 02 Oct 19, 21:31.

Me? I think they are vermin. I wrote off a 30K car because of one of those things. Where I live it is unusual to go a month without someone doing the same.

As to status. Mostly protected but also there are culls.

I'd be curious to see that story though. I remember someone going to jail for taping himself running over emus, but a kid getting killed for running over roos...
    Matthew 5:9 Blessed are the cheesemakers

That's right bitches. I'm blessed!

Comment

Originally posted by Rojik View Post
      Me? I think they are vermin. I wrote off a 30K car because of one of those things. Where I live it is unusual to go a month without someone doing the same.

I'd be curious to see that story though. I remember someone going to jail for taping himself running over emus, but a kid getting killed for running over roos...
      Ugh! For "killed" read "arrested." Shame on me. Shame on me. Now corrected.

Story is here https://www.yahoo.com/news/australia...022952460.html

Deer are a real problem here. Each year there about 50,000 car-deer accidents just in Michigan alone. I can recall a couple of years where they exceeded 87,000. My sister hit one about 10 years back, though looks only to have side swiped it. A friend when I was a kid rolled his car trying to avoid one.

Comment

Makes more sense.

Good on him. He should get a medal. I went from driving a really nice v8 sports car to a FWD with a people catcher on the front because of them. It is not that they stand on the road like other stupid things, it is that they go at anything coming near them. I think it because our apex predators are... us... then snakes...

The stupid things never had anyone that could do them harm. I mean they can bound away at speeds that would make you blink, but tiny brains in a big body. I will see at least one new dead on the side of the road when I go to work later today. I don't know about you but if I saw dead people every day in the same spot i"d avoid it. But they come back... and get cleaned up

A couple of years ago I was driving to work at 5am and one of those bastards jumped the railing, jumped my car, jumped the other railing. I was doing about 90kph and he was gone before I had time to even know he was there. A second earlier and I would have been dead.

The sooner they go extinct the better my life will be

Comment

I saw a video where Volvo were testing driverless cars and it was having issues trying to adjust to kangaroos. It couldn’t predict where they were hoping.

They don’t have any natural predators so we have to cull all the starving ones.
          "In modern war... you will die like a dog for no good reason."
          Ernest Hemingway.

In english "silence" means yelling louder than everyone else.

Comment

The sooner they go extinct the better my life will be
            They probably think the same about you.
            ScenShare Guidelines:

1) Enjoy creating it
            2) Enjoy playing it
            3) Enjoy sharing it
            4) Enjoy helping others create them

The PlayersDB - The Harpoon Community's #1 Choice.

FAQ http://www.harplonkhq.com/Harpoon/Fr...dQuestions.htm

Comment

Originally posted by Herman Hum View Post
              They probably think the same about you.
              I think the same about me too. Just trying to figure out the least painful way

Comment

you - \gave your \BMW to a 'Roo??
                I can understand some cognitive dissonance after that...
                The trout who swims against the current gets the most oxygen..

Comment

Originally posted by Achtung Baby View Post
                  I saw a video where Volvo were testing driverless cars and it was having issues trying to adjust to kangaroos. It couldn’t predict where they were hoping.

They don’t have any natural predators so we have to cull all the starving ones.

Comment

I've tried Roo-Burgers. They were just fine.
                    ScenShare Guidelines:

1) Enjoy creating it
                    2) Enjoy playing it
                    3) Enjoy sharing it
                    4) Enjoy helping others create them

The PlayersDB - The Harpoon Community's #1 Choice.

FAQ http://www.harplonkhq.com/Harpoon/Fr...dQuestions.htm

Comment

One thing that is suggested when driving in areas with high kangaroo population, avoid driving at night.
                      "In modern war... you will die like a dog for no good reason."
                      Ernest Hemingway.

In english "silence" means yelling louder than everyone else.

Comment

Nothing whatever wrong with Kangaroo meat : very lean and healthy. It rather resembles venison to me.
                        "I dogmatise and am contradicted, and in this conflict of opinions and sentiments I find delight".
                        Samuel Johnson.

Comment

|\\\\excellent shoe leather too.
                          Man, is PETA going to slam us for this topic....

Comment

Originally posted by BELGRAVE View Post

Nothing whatever wrong with Kangaroo meat : very lean and healthy. It rather resembles venison to me.
                            What do you know from venison?

Me? I think [kagaroos] are vermin.
                            I really hate it when you hold back like that. Just tell us how you feel already.

Are you saying that there's a cult devoted to worshiping kangaroos?

[Kangaroos have] tiny brains in a big body.
                            Can't the same be said of most Australian natives?

Rimshot

Don't b*tch: you set that one up all by yourself.
                            I was married for two ******* years! Hell would be like Club Med! - Sam Kinison

Comment

Originally posted by slick_miester View Post

What do you know from venison?

I really hate it when you hold back like that. Just tell us how you feel already.

:confused: Are you saying that there's a cult devoted to worshiping kangaroos?

Can't the same be said of most Australian natives?

Rimshot

Don't b*tch: you set that one up all by yourself.
                              only in st Kilda

I used to wonder why no one was ever reported hitting a kangaroo here in Alberta, until I realised that we are far too busy running into each other's bumpers.....

A city for
                              Bodyshop. as in auto body shop owners....
                              Last edited by marktwain; 03 Oct 19, 15:12.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X