Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

We don't have AR 15s

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #76
    Originally posted by BF69 View Post

    ....and sharks, and sea snakes, and poisonous cone shells, and moray eels, and crocs, and sharks....and so much more.

    On several occasions I have found blue ringed octopuses at suburban Melbourne beaches. For the unfamiliar, these are small octopi that hide in rock pools & live near the shore. When upset they have rings that glow electric blue. It can bite through a wetsuit and its venom will kill you in minutes.

    Yeah, loving the beach!
    Then there are the spiders.
    Still with all these potentially hostile creatures about itís still usually a case of live-and-let-live.At least we donít have to worry about tooled-up- predators.
    "I dogmatise and am contradicted, and in this conflict of opinions and sentiments I find delight".
    Samuel Johnson.

    Comment


    • #77
      Yeah it's a better place here, knowing the wombats can't shoot back with their semi-autos. But also avoiding any brain dead right wing organisations gaining votes by feeding fear, some still try... unfortunately it works elsewhere still.
      "In modern war... you will die like a dog for no good reason."
      Ernest Hemingway.

      Comment


      • #78
        Originally posted by BF69 View Post

        ....and sharks, and sea snakes, and poisonous cone shells, and moray eels, and crocs, and sharks....and so much more.

        On several occasions I have found blue ringed octopuses at suburban Melbourne beaches. For the unfamiliar, these are small octopi that hide in rock pools & live near the shore. When upset they have rings that glow electric blue. It can bite through a wetsuit and its venom will kill you in minutes.

        Yeah, loving the beach!
        You also went to Melbourne night-clubs where criminals were killing people, as happened last week ?

        Let's bet : did he ? Or did he not ? ?
        The winner will have a free visit to a Melbourne night-club .

        Comment


        • #79
          Originally posted by MarkV View Post

          And what does BS imitate? In general living in Britain largely gunless we still feel a lot safer than in the US.
          If you're basing it on feelings, I'd opine that it's probably a relatively solid average as far as how safe people feel between the two countries.

          Out in the country, that's not bordering a failed state, people feel generally pretty safe. They may or may not have firearms. As a practical matter, I'd say that my county has about 1/3 of residences with firearms. You have to remember that the numbers are skewed by those who have upwards of 10 firearms (like me, and I'm not duplicating capability either).

          In the suburbs, a general feeling of safety as well. And in the bad parts of town or the larger cities, I'd think that a British or American resident would feel the same general unease due to high crime rates.


          As for the particular weapon in the OP, it's an extremely practical arm for people of all statures to do positional defense (like in their house), as it's accurate at short-mid ranges, light recoiling, reliable, and in any of its major 3 ammo capacities (10, Viet-standard 20, or Modern-standard 30) it has enough ammunition to deal with between 1-5 threats without reloading. It can also do everything from defense to target practice to hunting to varminting (against predators on a farm for instance unless you're dealing with bears or tigers) on the exact same ammunition. The safety is intuitive and easy to operate both to fire and to re-safe the weapon, the manual of arms isn't difficult but it is slightly clunky until you're used to it. It requires a general minimum of care when it's not being shot, is resistant to environmental factors, and can accomodate a variety of sights to do whatever job you need it to do on the same platform.

          It's also huge and overweight for anything mobile unless you're going to tac up and carry it like you're in the walking dead, and only idiots carry it mobile outside of a vehicle. And as for criminal use, this last point makes it the least preferred weapon of the criminal class for actual carry use.
          Last edited by TacCovert4; 15 Apr 19, 10:42.
          Tacitos, Satrap of Kyrene

          Comment


          • #80
            Originally posted by ljadw View Post

            You also went to Melbourne night-clubs where criminals were killing people, as happened last week ?

            Let's bet : did he ? Or did he not ? ?
            The winner will have a free visit to a Melbourne night-club .
            It hit the headlines only because it was unusual.
            Such things don't normally happen here.
            (Still, you really don't want to go to a King Street Night Club).
            "I dogmatise and am contradicted, and in this conflict of opinions and sentiments I find delight".
            Samuel Johnson.

            Comment


            • #81
              Originally posted by BELGRAVE View Post

              Then there are the spiders.
              Still with all these potentially hostile creatures about itís still usually a case of live-and-let-live.At least we donít have to worry about tooled-up- predators.
              Yes, the redbacks generally leave you alone as long as you don't get too close. I just wear gloves in the back yard. Given the scale of the drug problem in my area if I lived in the US I'd be in the middle of a war zone.
              Human beings are the only creatures on Earth that claim a god and the only living thing that behaves like it hasn't got one - Hunter S. Thompson

              Comment


              • #82
                I am more fearful of people than guns themselves. There is a lot of opportunist crime here. There has been several outright gun battles between groups of people in the past couple weeks, but there are probably more stabbings. I purchased several guns after having to deal with a convicted felon who moved into his girlfriends apartment in our building and proceed to threaten us all. Took me five times calling the police and not till a detective was assigned was my landlady able to get an court ordered eviction notice. They were still allowed to stay for a month after the letter was posted on the apartment door.

                Comment


                • #83
                  Originally posted by BELGRAVE View Post

                  It hit the headlines only because it was unusual.
                  Such things don't normally happen here.
                  (Still, you really don't want to go to a King Street Night Club).
                  You really have to ask questions about the mental state of someone who clearly takes delight in the murder of an innocent man just doing his job. Sadly I think most of the sane folks here know the answer to those questions.

                  We have about 30-35 firearms murders per year in the whole country. If we were America it would be around 400. Only an ideologue, troll or the mentally impaired would want to make or gun laws more like a demonstrably failed model.
                  Human beings are the only creatures on Earth that claim a god and the only living thing that behaves like it hasn't got one - Hunter S. Thompson

                  Comment


                  • #84
                    They can't handle the idea that our gun controls succeeded, more than our own expectations actually.

                    "In modern war... you will die like a dog for no good reason."
                    Ernest Hemingway.

                    Comment


                    • #85
                      Originally posted by Achtung Baby View Post
                      They can't handle the idea that our gun controls succeeded, more than our own expectations actually.
                      Your gun controls work on islands populated almost entirely by 1st world multi-generational people with a nigh homogenous culture.

                      Even then they're nowhere near as perfect as the academics expect.....as can be shown in the UK with the rise of 'knife crime' to compensate. For some reason.....people do evil things, and when you take away an item they'd like to use, they find another item.
                      Tacitos, Satrap of Kyrene

                      Comment


                      • #86
                        Originally posted by BF69 View Post

                        You really have to ask questions about the mental state of someone who clearly takes delight in the murder of an innocent man just doing his job. Sadly I think most of the sane folks here know the answer to those questions.

                        We have about 30-35 firearms murders per year in the whole country. If we were America it would be around 400. Only an ideologue, troll or the mentally impaired would want to make or gun laws more like a demonstrably failed model.
                        400, we can only wish, Try 40,000.
                        "Ask not what your country can do for you"

                        Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

                        youíre entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

                        Comment


                        • #87
                          Originally posted by Half Pint John View Post

                          400, we can only wish, Try 40,000.
                          I think it is closer to 10,000. The larger figure is total deaths (which is also higher in Australia).
                          Human beings are the only creatures on Earth that claim a god and the only living thing that behaves like it hasn't got one - Hunter S. Thompson

                          Comment


                          • #88
                            https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-41488081 Total gun deaths are close to the 40k mark and as can be see the favorite weapon is a hand gun.
                            "Ask not what your country can do for you"

                            Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

                            youíre entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

                            Comment

                            Latest Topics

                            Collapse

                            Working...
                            X