X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Third World Stupidity - Papua New Guinea

In another thread:

https://forums.armchairgeneral.com/f...20#post5067820

I was criticising some Third World nations for over population, whilst at the same time indulging in the purchase/development of nuclear weapons.

Today, and closer to home, I have just seen an example of stupidity in the highest order.

There is to be an APEC (Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation) Summit to be held shortly in PNG, Australia's nearest neighbour which was an Australian protectorate post WW1 until 1975.

PNG gets a large chunk of Australian foreign aid and other "freebies".

$500 million plus according to what I can find:

https://dfat.gov.au/geo/papua-new-gu...ew-guinea.aspx

According to WIKI, and the International Monetary Fund, G.D.P. per capita is less than $4,000 per annum.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Papua_New_Guinea

As transport for the attending delegates, the PNG government has purchased and subsequently air freighted in 40 brand new Maseratti Quattroporte cars to Port Moresby.

Words fail me.

I will leave it up to the news article to comment further.

PNG Government splurges on 40 Maseratis for APEC leaders as polio returns to the country

The Papua New Guinea Government has sparked outrage after purchasing 40 custom-made Maserati cars — specially flown in from Italy — to be used by some of the world's top leaders during this year's APEC summit.

It has been revealed the PNG Government plans to use the luxury cars for just one week of the APEC meeting, and then sell them off to recover the costs.

The Maserati Quattroporte sedans, which retail in Australia for between $209,000 and $345,000, were delivered to Port Moresby from Milan earlier this week in two chartered Boeing 747 cargo planes.

PNG's minister for APEC, Justin Tkatchenko, told the ABC that the APEC Authority part of the PNG Government had paid for the fleet, which would be used by world leaders during the leaders' week in November.
    "All costs will be recovered and there will be no cost to the state whatsoever at the end of the day," Mr Tkatchenko said.

He said the Government had already received "a lot of interest" in the cars from prospective buyers.
    [.....]
    After being declared free of the polio virus 18 years ago, this year has seen 14 confirmed cases and one death from a form of the virus normally found after prolonged periods of low vaccination coverage.
    [.....]

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-10-1...turns/10366734
    Last edited by At ease; 12 Oct 18, 04:17.
    "It's like shooting rats in a barrel."
    "You'll be in a barrel if you don't watch out for the fighters!"

"Talking about airplanes is a very pleasant mental disease."
    — Sergei(son of Igor) Sikorsky, 'AOPA Pilot' magazine February 2003.

...But the guy said that they'd get all the money back when they resold them in Oz.
    Hmmmm.....If I buy a new car here in the states and try to recoup the entire purchase price after driving it around for a few weeks, folks will look at me and say, "You're dreamin', mate!" (Well, probably not those exact words but you get the gist.)
    I mean, just driving the vehicle off the lot decreases its price by 10-20% and that's before you even put a hundred miles on it.
    Yes, the title of this thread is spot on.
    ARRRR! International Talk Like A Pirate Day - September 19th
    IN MARE IN COELO

Comment

Originally posted by Jose50 View Post
      ...But the guy said that they'd get all the money back when they resold them in Oz.
      Hmmmm.....If I buy a new car here in the states and try to recoup the entire purchase price after driving it around for a few weeks, folks will look at me and say, "You're dreamin', mate!" (Well, probably not those exact words but you get the gist.)
      I mean, just driving the vehicle off the lot decreases its price by 10-20% and that's before you even put a hundred miles on it.
      Yes, the title of this thread is spot on.
      I have just a vague idea as to what you are referring to.

A few years ago I retired from selling, mainly used, motor vehicles for many years.

Could I interest you in a prime piece of real estate?

It's called the Brooklyn Bridge.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_C._Parker

And from a fine Australian movie "The Castle"

"tell him he's dreamin' "
      https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Ca...ustralian_film)

Last edited by At ease; 12 Oct 18, 09:16.

Comment

This stupidity just ramped up a notch.

Three VERY expensive Bentlys have been added to the list of vehicles purchased for the APEC summit.

First Maseratis, now Bentleys for Apec in Papua New Guinea

Further purchase of luxurious cars for regional summit in impoverished country is greeted with anger and disbelief
        [.....]
        https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...pua-new-guinea

These three cars are only arriving by sea, rather than air like the Mazers, so at least there are some concessions to economy.
        Last edited by At ease; 19 Oct 18, 07:22.

Comment

Originally posted by At ease View Post

I have just a vague idea as to what you are referring to.
          In the USA, the instant you drive a brand-new vehicle off the dealership lot the value drops at least 10%.

So Jose, in his own simple fashion, was expressing doubt that the government could recoup the funds expended in the purchase of the cars.
          Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.

Comment

Originally posted by Arnold J Rimmer View Post

In the USA, the instant you drive a brand-new vehicle off the dealership lot the value drops at least 10%.

So Jose, in his own simple fashion, was expressing doubt that the government could recoup the funds expended in the purchase of the cars.
            Arnold, I am a former used car salesman of very many years experience.

I started out selling new.

No one on this forum would be more aware of the minutia of how much depreciation is involved than me when trading in a brand new car.

Obtaining valuation of trade-ins is an integral and important part of a car salesman's job.

When using the word "vague", I was just being facetious.

I hope this clarifies the matter.

Comment

Arnold, I am a former used car salesman of very many years experience.

I started out selling new.

No one on this forum would be more aware of the minutia of how much depreciation is involved than me when trading in a brand new car.

Obtaining valuation of trade-ins is an integral and important part of a car salesman's job.

When using the word "vague", I was just being facetious.

I hope this clarifies the matter.
              OK. I didn't know if depreciation worked the same way in your part of the world. Or that you were a car salesman; up to now I had had a good opinion of you.
              Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.

Comment

As transport for the attending delegates, the PNG government has purchased and subsequently air freighted in 40 brand new Maseratti Quattroporte cars to Port Moresby.
                I wonder if there was some stipulation for the purchase of these vehicles. Foreign aid often comes with strings attached and rarely as monetary transfers. For example, if one country promises another in $100 million in foreign aid, often, there are terms associated with that dollar value, such as the purchase of Items X, Y, Z for $ from the donor nation. Rarely are funds simply transferred to the recipient country for them to use at their discretion.

I think that large conferences like APEC also operate in a similar fashion. Members pay fees to the association and some of it might have strings attached. One of the member nations might be paying their fees via a 'donation' of the vehicles. Such practices are not unheard of for groups and organizations such as the UN. (i.e. volunteering Peacekeepers in lieu of member dues)
                ScenShare Guidelines:

1) Enjoy creating it
                2) Enjoy playing it
                3) Enjoy sharing it
                4) Enjoy helping others create them

The PlayersDB - The Harpoon Community's #1 Choice.

FAQ http://www.harplonkhq.com/Harpoon/Fr...dQuestions.htm

Comment

Originally posted by Herman Hum View Post

I wonder if there was some stipulation for the purchase of these vehicles. Foreign aid often comes with strings attached and rarely as monetary transfers. For example, if one country promises another in $100 million in foreign aid, often, there are terms associated with that dollar value, such as the purchase of Items X, Y, Z for $ from the donor nation. Rarely are funds simply transferred to the recipient country for them to use at their discretion.

I think that large conferences like APEC also operate in a similar fashion. Members pay fees to the association and some of it might have strings attached. One of the member nations might be paying their fees via a 'donation' of the vehicles. Such practices are not unheard of for groups and organizations such as the UN. (i.e. volunteering Peacekeepers in lieu of member dues)
                  Japan has gone to the trouble of providing what I would call "sensible" foreign aid:

December 5, 2017

BY GORETHY KENNETH

The Japanese Government yesterday donated 68 vehicles to APEC PNG office in Port Moresby to assist with logistical support of the Summit.

And at the presentation yesterday, it was announced that Japan Prime Minister Shinzo Abe has agreed to travel to PNG next year to for the 2018 APEC Summit.

The APEC vehicles were made up of 23 minibuses, 23 microbuses and 22 ambulances.

APEC Minister Justin Tkatchenko and chief executive officer Christopher Hawkins received the vehicles from Japan’s Ambassador Satoshi Nakajima at Sir Manasupe Haus, Waigani.

The vehicles will be utilised to a maximum extent to assist PNG Government with transport and medical logistics for many APEC related meetings, culminating in the APEC Leaders’ Summit in November next year.

“These vehicles were made available with K13 million under Japan’s non-profit grant aid to further assist PNG in preparation for hosting the 2018 APEC Meeting,” Mr Nakajima said.

“It is the Government of Japan’s hope that the 22 ambulances included in the 68 vehicles will be fully utilised during and after the APEC meetings to serve the people across the country. Doing so will be in line with the Alotau Accord 2 which aims at improving access to healthcare for every PNG citizen thus saving many lives.” [.....]
                  https://postcourier.com.pg/japanese-...018-apec-meet/

Medical assistance vehicles(Ambulances) ?

Yes, most certainly.

Minibuses/Microbuses?

Yeah, probably.

Maseratis?

NO!

So far, I have not seen any sources to indicate that the Maseratis have been "donated".

Everything points to the probability that they were paid for by the PNG Government, and there is an extremely high likelihood that corrupt politicians or their friends will be the sole beneficiaries of financial benefits.

In an earlier life before I became a car salesman, that was mainly because I was/am a mad keen car enthusiast, I was a qualified accountant.

Part of my accounting career was spent auditing financial records.

I can smell a rat in this instance.

But, so can the wider world.

Comments made in the newspaper articles that I have linked to demonstrate that.

That's part of the reason these articles were written.....because they are newsworthy.

Unfortunately, $A500 million is donated in foreign aid by the Australian government to PNG.

That is $10m per week/24 million Aussies.

That's not much each some would say.

But it is when my 94 year old war widow mother, for example, is being denied many benefits or having them reduced because of Australian government budgetary restrictions.

As my mother rightly points out, when volunteers were called for 70 or more years ago, the understanding was that servicemen and their dependants would be "looked after" in future years as payback for their service to their country.

It is depressing to hear the tears of a war widow who is justly feeling "short changed" by her country because as much as I have protested such injustices to the correct authorities, only lip service is paid to any formal complaints about reduction in benefits to Australian born citizens of good standing.

I don't want to go into a long passage that might be called a "diatribe" by some, but Australian government foreign aid SHOULD NOT be provided to further corrupt practices in donor nations.

The tap should be turned off, or at least the flow restricted until there is some evidence of "house cleaning".

I don't particularly wish to hear later on that some clever dick corrupt politician has got his hands on a Maserati at a substantial discount without actually doing anything legitimate to earn such a benefit.....other than being a politician.

After all, I like nice cars too, but in my case, I have to pay for them myself.

Well, now that I am retired and no longer get a fully maintained company car as part of my private employer salary package.
                  Last edited by At ease; 19 Oct 18, 22:21.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                  X