Australian Cardinal to be tried on child abuse charges

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MarkV View Post
    Illogical - currently the ultimate decision about cardinals ,arch bishops etc lies with the Pope who seems unwilling to take decisive action.
    I had been led to understand -- bearing in mind that I'm no expert on Roman Catholic Canon -- that the Pope can request a bishop's resignation, can accept a bishop's resignation, but that "defrocking" requires a canonical version of a trial. Apparently even the Vatican maintains that a man cannot be punished without due process. Therefore, the Pope cannot simply declare a cleric "laicized," ie deprived of his clerical state and returned to a lay state, any more than your prime minister or my president can declare a person a criminal and deprive him of life, liberty, or property without a trial first.
    I was married for two ******* years! Hell would be like Club Med! - Sam Kinison

Comment

Originally posted by slick_miester View Post

I had been led to understand -- bearing in mind that I'm no expert on Roman Catholic Canon -- that the Pope can request a bishop's resignation, can accept a bishop's resignation, but that "defrocking" requires a canonical version of a trial. Apparently even the Vatican maintains that a man cannot be punished without due process. Therefore, the Pope cannot simply declare a cleric "laicized," ie deprived of his clerical state and returned to a lay state, any more than your prime minister or my president can declare a person a criminal and deprive him of life, liberty, or property without a trial first.
      There is a difference between defrocking and removing from a post. In the first case the offender ceases to be an ordained clergyman and in most churches this does require the process of ecclesiastical courts. In the second case the offender may remain ordained but is removed from office which can be achieved by an administrative order. In the CoE a clergyman now days requires a licence to officiate in any CoE benefice and this is normally issued by his immediate superior (so a bishop issues licences for vicars in his diocese). This licence can be suspended or revoked which effectively means that the offender is unable to carry on in office even though he may remain an ordained clergyman. I believe that the RCC has something similar
      Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe (H G Wells)
      Mit der Dummheit kaempfen Goetter selbst vergebens (Friedrich von Schiller)

Comment

Would someone please remind me again how far back Wilson was said to have committed the crime that he is still appealing against?

If he and, subject of the OP, Cardinal George Pell are ultimately convicted, what happens to the roughly 499,998 other ordained Catholic Clergy throughout the world.

I will again point out the numbers.

Throughout the world, the numbers are miniscule.

"It's like shooting rats in a barrel."
        "You'll be in a barrel if you don't watch out for the fighters!"

"Talking about airplanes is a very pleasant mental disease."
        — Sergei(son of Igor) Sikorsky, 'AOPA Pilot' magazine February 2003.

Comment

Originally posted by At ease View Post

We don't know that, and neither do you. Since quite a few bishops and cardinals have resigned or been convicted of these deeds, it seems like more of the hierarchy is guilty of these deeds in percentages than the general population. Until the Church comes clean, we'll never know how many, but the number seems substantial. A religious body should he held to a much higher standard, just like law enforcement and government officials.

Comment

Would someone please remind me again how far back Wilson was said to have committed the crime that he is still appealing against?

If he and, subject of the OP, Cardinal George Pell are ultimately convicted, what happens to the roughly 499,998 other ordained Catholic Clergy throughout the world.

Obscenely irrelevant. The very existence of such predators in an organisation that claims to be the arbiter of morality and .the protector of the innocent is akin to the detection of a deadly virus in a mass of wholesome food. The very presence contaminates the rest. What makes it worse is the existence of those prepared to shield and even excuse the perpetrators
            Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe (H G Wells)
            Mit der Dummheit kaempfen Goetter selbst vergebens (Friedrich von Schiller)

Comment

Originally posted by johns624 View Post
              . . . . A religious body should he held to a much higher standard, just like law enforcement and government officials.

I didn't know that you're a dreamer. I have no doubt that clerics, cops, and politicians "hold themselves," but it ain't never been to no higher standard.
              I was married for two ******* years! Hell would be like Club Med! - Sam Kinison

Comment

Yeah, it's just one or two bad apples...sure...
                http://www.witf.org/news/2018/08/wha...ese-clergy.php

Comment

Originally posted by BF69 View Post
                  Archbishop Philip Wilson has been convicted for covering up child abuse. The sentence is 12 months detention - most likely home detention - with a 6 month non-parole period. Some of the victims of molesters this man refused to stop have had their lives ruined or prematurely ended. What a pathetic sentence. Wonder if the 'tough on crime' mob will be baying for his head?
                  Originally posted by MarkV View Post

And he appears to have shown no contrition and is refusing to resign. Still he probably got a couple of hail Marys at confession so that's all right
                  Originally posted by johns624 View Post
                  Will his apologist show up to defend him? I think not...

The conviction has been overturned.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-12-...ashed/10589198

https://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/nation/former-archbishop-philip-wilson-cleared-after-successful-appeal/news-story/6091f41b92b22c1b1a85494b4454f988

Some here, in their "excitement", seem to have been somewhat erm, "premature".

I do understand that some men suffer from this embarrassing affliction.

It should be noted that an appeal is being lodged, so it might be a good idea for some to "put a cork in it" and stop the gushing outflow.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-07-0...iction/9940804
                  Last edited by At ease; 06 Dec 18, 02:58.

Comment

From your own link it said that the Crown would appeal, so it's not over yet. I find it interesting that he resigned as archbishop, not the normal behavior of an innocent man.

Comment

The Crown might appeal.

<SNIP>
                      The NSW attorney-general has asked the DPP(Department of Public Prosecutions) to consider appealing Thursday's decision.
                      https://www.9news.com.au/2018/12/06/...on-wins-appeal

Good luck with that.

And at nearly 70 years old, he is entitled to slow it down a bit.

At least it is refreshing to see that the ACG "Hang all Catholics high" cheer squad has by necessity moderated it's tone somewhat, compared to the over zealous outpourings evidenced earlier in the thread.

Too many oxygen bandits.....not enough oxygen.
                      Last edited by At ease; 06 Dec 18, 11:17.

Comment

What does his age have to do with anything?
                        Go to post #67 and you'll see that it's not just about this incident.
                        You seem way too concerned about the perpetrators and not enough about the victims.
                        Last edited by johns624; 06 Dec 18, 12:15.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                        X