Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by At ease View Post

Have you met many priests?

How many years of schooling have you experienced being taught by them?

You are just singing from the songbook titled "The World according to Cult Icon".

To my ears , there are many discordant notes.

Reading various sub-forums @ACG suggests that your world is not necessarily a well balanced place to be.

The priests, and other ordained clergy, that I have met or were schooled by gave up their lives for their parishioners.

You can't get any less selfish than that.

I will continually thank and praise them for their sacrifice.

I am a better person for it.

So are the untold countless millions of people throughout the world who have received an education, or something to eat, or received medical treatment, or clothing, or housing, or emotional support because a priest(or a num, or a brother) was there to help.

Keep your twisted bias to yourself.
    FACT: Pedophilia is not only a sin,l it is a major crime as well.

Fact: The Catholic Church tolerates and protects pedophiliac priests and always has.

Fact: This is also a sin and a crime, and the entire Catholic Church is responsible for the criminal behavior of its criminal members when it does nothing to stop them.

Fact: whatever other priests do is not the issue. The issue is pedophilia and why it is tolerated in the Church, period.

If you support the Catholic Church, then you also support pedophiles and the Church's policy of hiding them and defending them. So the real question here is: what the is wrong with you?
    Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

]

Originally posted by BF69 View Post
      Archbishop Philip Wilson has been convicted for covering up child abuse. The sentence is 12 months detention - most likely home detention - with a 6 month non-parole period. Some of the victims of molesters this man refused to stop have had their lives ruined or prematurely ended. What a pathetic sentence. Wonder if the 'tough on crime' mob will be baying for his head?
      If he committed the crime and he's found guilty he should be punished.

The biblical punishment for rape and buggery was death, so perhaps the Cardinal should be given a religiously appropriate sentence

Comment

Originally posted by Freebird View Post
        ]

If he committed the crime and he's found guilty he should be punished.

The biblical punishment for rape and buggery was death, so perhaps the Cardinal should be given a religiously appropriate sentence
        After all : "It were better for him that a millstone be hanged around his neck, and he cast into the sea ". (Luke: 17: 2)

I would argue that child abuse when committed by the agents of the Church is even more heinous than when the molester is of the laity.
        The physical crimes are made far worse by the betrayal of trust that is involved.
        "I dogmatise and am contradicted, and in this conflict of opinions and sentiments I find delight".
        Samuel Johnson.

Comment

Originally posted by BELGRAVE View Post

After all : "It were better for him that a millstone be hanged around his neck, and he cast into the sea ". (Luke: 17: 2)

I would argue that child abuse when committed by the agents of the Church is even more heinous than when the molester is of the laity.
          The physical crimes are made far worse by the betrayal of trust that is involved.
          I would definately agree with that

Comment

Archbishop Philip Wilson has finally resigned. After being called on to resign by fellow bishops, priests & even the Prime Minister (a Catholic himself) Wilson has finally walked. That he held on so long is a disgrace, but at least it is done now. Hopefully his conviction will be upheld.
            Human beings are the only creatures on Earth that claim a god and the only living thing that behaves like it hasn't got one - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Originally posted by BF69 View Post
              Archbishop Philip Wilson has finally resigned. After being called on to resign by fellow bishops, priests & even the Prime Minister (a Catholic himself) Wilson has finally walked. That he held on so long is a disgrace, but at least it is done now. Hopefully his conviction will be upheld.
              And we have a Cardinal in the USA who has also resigned, he is awaiting a Vatican trial but I suspect that by the time it's been convened he will have died.

But why does it all take so long for the Church to boot these types out? They have to be persuaded to resign. Even the British House of Commons (not exactly a body with the most streamlined of procedures) has a process to deal with MPs who have "brought the House into disrepute" that would have them out whether they chose to resign or not and MPs are elected whereas clergy are only appointed and surely can be unappointed. Is the Pope worried about an employment tribunal?
              Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe (H G Wells)
              Mit der Dummheit kaempfen Goetter selbst vergebens (Friedrich von Schiller)

Comment

Originally posted by MarkV View Post

And we have a Cardinal in the USA who has also resigned, he is awaiting a Vatican trial but I suspect that by the time it's been convened he will have died.

But why does it all take so long for the Church to boot these types out?
                It could be that the scandal is so far reaching that if one higherup presses another to resign, the one being pressured might have info on the other and blackmail him into backing off. Think about it, many priests that were covered up for when they were just parish priests are probably quite high up in the hierarchy now.

Comment

Originally posted by johns624 View Post
                  It could be that the scandal is so far reaching that if one higherup presses another to resign, the one being pressured might have info on the other and blackmail him into backing off. Think about it, many priests that were covered up for when they were just parish priests are probably quite high up in the hierarchy now.
                  You miss my point rather than pressing someone to resign why are they not fired?
                  Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe (H G Wells)

Comment

I read somewhere that for Bishops and above, they actually OWN the office. I think the Pope can order them to resign, but it is not cut and dried. Anyone known good source on what it takes to fire a Bishop?

Pruitt
                    Pruitt, you are truly an expert! Kelt06

Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"

Comment

Originally posted by Pruitt View Post
                      I read somewhere that for Bishops and above, they actually OWN the office. I think the Pope can order them to resign, but it is not cut and dried. Anyone known good source on what it takes to fire a Bishop?

Pruitt
                      It is pretty cut and dried, though on occasion there has been some tapdancing around the form of words. The Bishop is asked to resign, which is the same in practical terms. The previous Pope fired an Australian Bishop for discussing the ordination of women, but after some negotiation he was allowed to 'retire' (interesting contrast with not firing a Bishop for breaking the law). The current Pope clarified his authority to remove Bishops a few years back and has exercised it on a few occasions, including earlier this year when he forced something like 30 Chilean Bishops to retire en masse for covering up child abuse.

The move seems to be an attempt by Francis to clear up any ambiguity about the pontiff's power to replace prelates around the world.
                      Human beings are the only creatures on Earth that claim a god and the only living thing that behaves like it hasn't got one - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Originally posted by Pruitt View Post

Pruitt
                        I think you read wrong.

In 2010 the Pope introduced a new updated procedure for removing a Bishop (or above) from office if he was deemed to have been negligent in his office. This was further updated in 2016 with the Come una madre amorevole decree This clarified what had been the position under canon law for years. However I can find only one example of someone being so removed rather than being pressurised into resigning - this was in 2012. Having got the power the Papacy seems reluctant to use it. If a senior churchman is given a criminal conviction then dismissal from office ought to follow automatically just as it would in most places if a senior policeman was so convicted.
                        Last edited by MarkV; 01 Aug 18, 07:14.

Comment

You miss my point rather than pressing someone to resign why are they not fired?
                          No, I didn't miss it. If you fire someone, they may get back at you by telling others things that they know about you.

Comment

Originally posted by johns624 View Post

No, I didn't miss it. If you fire someone, they may get back at you by telling others things that they know about you.
                            So they're all blackmailing the Pope? comeon!

Comment

So they're all blackmailing the Pope? comeon!
                              Not necessarily the Pope, but ranking members in la curia, the Vatican's bureaucracy, can be liable to this kind of blackmail. If some number of ranking clerics are guilty of conspiring to shield sex offenders among the priesthood, then it only stands to reason that some of them are members of the curia today.
                              I was married for two ******* years! Hell would be like Club Med! - Sam Kinison

Comment

Originally posted by slick_miester View Post

Not necessarily the Pope, but ranking members in la curia, the Vatican's bureaucracy, can be liable to this kind of blackmail. If some number of ranking clerics are guilty of conspiring to shield sex offenders among the priesthood, then it only stands to reason that some of them are members of the curia today.
                                Illogical - currently the ultimate decision about cardinals ,arch bishops etc lies with the Pope who seems unwilling to take decisive action.
                                Last edited by MarkV; 01 Aug 18, 11:52.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X