Australian Cardinal to be tried on child abuse charges

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BF69 View Post

Fine by me. Unfortunately the guy who covered up the child abuse is unlikely to do a day in jail.

That said, the topic of this particular thread is child abuse, in particular in the Catholic Church. You might want to ask yourself why anyone would try to change the topic to minor thefts by Afro-Australian kids. At least one of those involved has a history of making excuses for abuse in the Church, so it isn't especially surprising.
    Churches of various denominations in general do seem to have form in abuse and cover ups, for example the C of E has had recent revelations and there are all sorts of scandals affecting the Seventh Day Adventists in Britain and the West Indies. It does seem worst where the church in question has a particularly authoritarian hierarchy and the Roman Catholic Church does seem to be a big league offender and not only in sexual abuse. The BBC are currently running a series of radio reports about mothers and babies homes run by nuns in Ireland which are deeply shocking. Not sexual perversion but cold blooded cruelty and criminality over half a century.
    Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe (H G Wells)
    Mit der Dummheit kaempfen Goetter selbst vergebens (Friedrich von Schiller)

Comment

I hope the whole library gets dropped on him.

Comment

Anyone that went to a Catholic School knows about the Nuns. I did two years in the Episcopal Day School in Lake Charles. We were not abused there, but it came out several years later that the Music Director was Gay. Most Gay people do not fool with youngsters, but it is not a good situation.

The only interaction I have had personally with a Nun was when we were playing Basketball on their outside courts. The Catholic Schools had a different calendar than the public schools and we liked playing on their courts. Well they had public school kids playing on all their outside courts but this young guy comes out and tells us rudely to get off his court! Being 15 at the time I ran my mouth at him about why we were the only guys getting run off? So he announces we were going to see the Sister! We went in and the Nun does not even ask me what happened and only hears out the "Coach" on how the public school kids were using the courts during class! I was aggravated. We were the only ten guys getting run off and there were ten guys playing on each half court (six). When we came back out we were surrounded by a mass of "good Catholic School kids" asking if the dude had molested me? We left and went home. Several of the guys who left with me were members of this Church. Nowadays it is all Black students!

I married a student going to the Catholic High School down the road. The Nuns were rough there. None of the students really wanted a "Catholic School Education". At least no one I knew! My wife spent two and a half years there and never passed a nine week period of Religion Class! The Nun who taught it was young and the girls gave her all kinds of grief. Several years later she ran into the Nun at a Mall and found out she had quit the Church and got married. For some reason the ex was mortified that she had quit. I think those girls around my ex, helped her make the decision!

There are some good people in the Catholic Church, but they never seem to make the news.

Pruitt
        Pruitt, you are truly an expert! Kelt06

Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"

Comment

Originally posted by MarkV View Post

Churches of various denominations in general do seem to have form in abuse and cover ups, for example the C of E has had recent revelations and there are all sorts of scandals affecting the Seventh Day Adventists in Britain and the West Indies. It does seem worst where the church in question has a particularly authoritarian hierarchy and the Roman Catholic Church does seem to be a big league offender and not only in sexual abuse. The BBC are currently running a series of radio reports about mothers and babies homes run by nuns in Ireland which are deeply shocking. Not sexual perversion but cold blooded cruelty and criminality over half a century.
          Yes to all of that. We have been trying for years to extradite a former school principle from an ultra-orthodox Jewish group who fled to Israel after abusing numerous young girls. Sadly the failure of the Israeli courts to allow her extradition allowed her to do the same in Israel. Even more sadly the closed nature of the religious settlement where she lives means that those girls will likely never get justice.

Back on the Catholic Church, the sexual abuse was just part of a much wider set of abuses. Some of the stories of the Magdelene Laundries & similar institutions are terrifying. There were young girls effectively imprisoned there for being a bit high spirited, sexually curious or sometimes just 'too pretty'. The Church so demonised sexuality, especially female sexuality, that parents willingly imprisoned their children in places where they were often mistreated & abused to 'save their souls'. If anyone is looking for a handy definition of 'evil', that works for me.
          Human beings are the only creatures on Earth that claim a god and the only living thing that behaves like it hasn't got one - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Originally posted by BF69 View Post

Fine by me. Unfortunately the guy who covered up the child abuse is unlikely to do a day in jail.

That said, the topic of this particular thread is child abuse, in particular in the Catholic Church. You might want to ask yourself why anyone would try to change the topic to minor thefts by Afro-Australian kids. At least one of those involved has a history of making excuses for abuse in the Church, so it isn't especially surprising.
            So, where is your "faux" moral outrage about this child sex offender, who has finally been deported after many years of appeals and cost to the Australian taxpayer?

"Tch tch tch....."

"What's that Skip?.....He's an African from Liberia?.....Oh dear me."

"We can't talk about that Skip.....that's racist."

(apologies - I am not going to go to the length of trying to explain to non Australians the well known reference to 1960's children's entertainment character "Skippy the Bush Kangaroo" - Google it if you like)

(Well, OK..... here ya' go:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AgMRIqIh2J4

What's that Skip? on Australia's "Fast Forward" TV comedy series)

A refugee ordered to be deported after having sex with a 12-year-old girl — and leaving her pregnant — remained in Australia for more than seven years by lodging a series of appeals to the Administrative Appeals Tribunal and the Federal Court.

The Liberian refugee, Thomas Scott Gbojueh, was sentenced to 27 months’ jail in mid-2009 after pleading guilty to twice having sex with the girl, which resulted in her having an abortion. The first offence took place less than four months after he arrived in Australia in 2006 from West Africa.

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/blogs/a...c177a0c3f14a2a

For more on this week's updates of African crime in Melbourne, please feel free to read the rest of the contents contained in the link above.

As I said earlier, this is nothing unusual for Melbourne.

It's "just another day at the office".

P.S. Here is a final pertinent comment from the writer of the linked article:

But bottom line: the reason some people don't want racial descriptors use is because they don't want you to know there is a very real and alarming problem with some communities we let in. You might draw an obvious conclusion.
            Last edited by At ease; 11 Jul 18, 20:08.
            "It's like shooting rats in a barrel."
            "You'll be in a barrel if you don't watch out for the fighters!"

"Talking about airplanes is a very pleasant mental disease."
            — Sergei(son of Igor) Sikorsky, 'AOPA Pilot' magazine February 2003.

Comment

Originally posted by At ease View Post

So, where is your "faux" moral outrage about this child sex offender, who has finally been deported after many years of appeals and cost to the Australian taxpayer?

"Tch tch tch....."

"What's that Skip?.....He's an African from Liberia?.....Oh dear me."
              If you don't know the difference between a single man on the street molesting a minor and high authorities of a worldwide religious organization condoning and abetting it, then I don't know what to see. I like how you keep bringing up race here. Aren't all men created by your God? Differentiating them by the color of their skin isn't very Christian-like of you. Going to church for an hour every week doesn't make you a good Christian, living a good life does.

Comment

Originally posted by johns624 View Post
                If you don't know the difference between a single man on the street molesting a minor and high authorities of a worldwide religious organization condoning and abetting it, then I don't know what to see. I like how you keep bringing up race here. Aren't all men created by your God? Differentiating them by the color of their skin isn't very Christian-like of you. Going to church for an hour every week doesn't make you a good Christian, living a good life does.
                My country of 24 or so million is not obliged, despite what the leftist agenda calls for, to fix up the screwups made on a continent of a billion people.

Africans as a whole wanted the white man out.

So they left.

And look at the s..thole Africa has become.

Life for the average African, say, 50 years ago was much better than it is now.

Much less bloodshed then.

Much less starvation.

The corrupt rulers in place now are the cause of the problems.

Look to them to fix the problems.

Get the United Nations reorganised correctly and stop throwing good money away after bad.

At least Trump sees what a mess the UN is and is prepared to "call it out".

Hopefully, some good will come of it.

This thread, so far, has only mentioned 2 Catholic Clergy.

Yes, just 2.

Neither have had their legal "due process" matters completed yet.

1 of the 2(Wilson) did not even carry out any sexual assault.

There are much bigger fish to fry in the wider world.

How about developing a sense of perspective?

P.S. Neither Pell or Wilson are having their legal cost borne by the Australian taxpayer, unlike the child rapist from Liberia who has finally been deported.

Whilst Australian taxpayer funds make the lawyers rich, and provide employment for the "shiny bum" employees at the Administrative Appeals Tribunal, other more deserving uses of taxpayer funds are being denied.

For example, adequate care of Australian senior citizens, who suffer everyday from a shortfall of Australian Government funding for health care such as nursing home facilities.

My 94 year old mother, just one of many thousands of very senior citizens, is fighting strenuously to avoid being put in a nursing home because of the abysmal treatment that is experienced by many residents in the "care" of such institutions.

It would be much better for more taxpayer funds to be allocated to provide better care for senior citizens, rather than funding 7 years of legal appeals for Liberian rapists.

After all, when the servicemen were joining up to fight to defend their country during World War 2, they were told that if they did so, themselves and their surviving dependents would be looked after health wise as a reward for their service.

My father was one of them.

He died a premature death as a result of his service, and suffered all the way after the war.

My mother sacrificed herself to care for him.

She did not leave him, even though she could have taken the easy way out.

Yet I scream in frustration and outrage when I hear examples of how my mother gets "short changed" by the Australian Federal Government relating to the provision of essential health care services.

She is, of course, just the example that I have personal experience with.

As I can read, and have ears to hear, I know that she is not the only one.

It is endemic in our Veterans care system.

"Charity begins at home".

Last edited by At ease; 11 Jul 18, 22:19.

Comment

This thread, so far, has only mentioned 2 Catholic Clergy.

Yes, just 2.

There are much bigger fish to fry in the wider world.

How about developing a sense of perspective?
                  Those "clergy" are an archbishop and a cardinal, not ordinary parish priests. Also, the one was convicted of, and the other is being tried for, covering the abuse up. That means that there are others involved.
                  You started the whole "African criminal" segue as a deflection. It just shows what a "good" christian you are.

Comment

Originally posted by johns624 View Post
                    Those "clergy" are an archbishop and a cardinal, not ordinary parish priests. Also, the one was convicted of, and the other is being tried for, covering the abuse up. That means that there are others involved.
                    You started the whole "African criminal" segue as a deflection. It just shows what a "good" christian you are.
                    Who started it?

You might need to look at post #12.

Anyway, as I patiently tried to point out to you, neither have exhausted their legal avenues.

It would seem that comprehension is not your strong point.

Comment

Who started it?

You might need to look at post #12.

Anyway, as I patiently tried to point out to you, neither have exhausted their legal avenues.

It would seem that comprehension is not your strong point.
                      You are correct and I was wrong. It was that other bigot that started it. You just ran with it.
                      I find it ironic (don't you) that the same church that ignored man's laws for all those many years when they knew they had pedophiles now is using that same law to their advantage? Bankruptcies, statute of limitations, appeals, etc.? He may of not exhausted all his appeals, but if Australian laws are even close to ours, he is currently a convicted criminal.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                      X