A deadly region?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A deadly region?

Now the Philippines then Indonesia. Is extra judicial killing inherent in the culture of the region?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/video_and_...lines/36432145
    Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe (H G Wells)
    Mit der Dummheit kaempfen Goetter selbst vergebens (Friedrich von Schiller)

Originally posted by MarkV View Post
    Now the Philippines then Indonesia. Is extra judicial killing inherent in the culture of the region?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/video_and_...lines/36432145
    Gen. William Westmoreland: The Oriental doesn't put the same high price on life as does the Westerner. Life is cheap in the Orient.
    Credo quia absurdum.

Quantum mechanics describes nature as absurd from the point of view of common sense. And yet it fully agrees with experiment. So I hope you can accept nature as She is - absurd! - Richard Feynman

Comment

Originally posted by Bwaha View Post
      Gen. William Westmoreland: The Oriental doesn't put the same high price on life as does the Westerner. Life is cheap in the Orient.
      No death is cheap, staying alive can cost you and many can't afford it! I wonder which 19th century author Westmoreland plagiarised that from. Kipling was too good a writer to use it. It's certainly been around for a while.
      Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe (H G Wells)

Comment

'The Act Of Killing' is well worth a look. A doco about some of those involved in the 1965 PKK massacres in Indonesia. One of the main characters is Anwar Congo who killed a guesstimated 1000. A really weird doco where the old killers dress up and reenact their actions. One guy dresses up as a woman begging not to be raped, etc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQhIRBxbchU

Start of the preview show them recreating one of their village massacres.
        'I had two motives: kill the Chinese and kill my girlfriends father'.
        Last edited by eddie3rar; 03 Jun 16, 19:13.

Comment

Mankind is the most dangerous creature on earth, how many genocides have been recorded just in the 20th century?
          Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies.

Comment

Originally posted by Urban hermit View Post
            Mankind is the most dangerous creature on earth, how many genocides have been recorded just in the 20th century?
            Well there would be none recorded before then as the word didn't exist until WW2 but I would suggest that the most dangerous creature in the world is likely to be the mosquito closely followed by the flea and the body louse.

Comment

Originally posted by Urban hermit View Post
              It depends on how you define genocide, and who's side you are on, I guess.

Here is a list that has a lot of entries as they play fast and lose with the definition-

http://www.scaruffi.com/politics/dictat.html

Comment

The whole world used to be that way, and some people think it must return.

Some say the Wild West is a superior society and should have stayed the same...

Comment

Originally posted by BKnight3 View Post
                  Some say the Wild West is a superior society and should have stayed the same...

The same as what?
                  That whole era was nothing but an age of change, of transition, of Building something new.
                  Almost every year was different from the next or the previous one, and the people who were there said that noplace on Earth had changed as much as the American West between 1875 and 1885... wasn't that the supposed "Golden Age" of the west?

People walked around with guns strapped to their hips, but only as long as they had to. And they had to because the only way to beat Bad Guys with Guns is to have enough Good Guys with guns.
                  Maybe that's what they mean, however...

As soon as they could, western towns began to put on Civilized airs, and function followed form so efficiently that there simply wasn't any frontier left well before WW1.
                  Take my word for it, lugging a gun around with you everywhere you go is a monumental pain, even if its just a revolver. And if given the choice, people would rather not live looking over their shoulder 24/7.

I think what people miss about the "old" west is being able to live your own life, without 500 pages of rules and regulations following you around wherever you go and a horde of strangers staring at you as they search for something to complain about.
                  THAT sure as hell gets to me, and I do my best to avoid those kinds of folks.

Comment

Big problem is how do you decide who are good guys with guns and who are bad guys with guns? (And where can I find a hole to keep away from all those guns?)

Comment

Well there would be none recorded before then as the word didn't exist until WW2 but I would suggest that the most dangerous creature in the world is likely to be the mosquito closely followed by the flea and the body louse.
                      Might I suggest that it is the likes of the viruses and bacteria that they unknowingly pass on to us that do the real harm?

Humanity has knowingly and deliberately seen off many many milions of its own kind over the millennia.

Comment

Originally posted by Wooden Wonder View Post
                        Might I suggest that it is the likes of the viruses and bacteria that they unknowingly pass on to us that do the real harm?

That's a bit like saying massacres are not carried out by people its the bullets that do the killing
                        Humanity has knowingly and deliberately seen off many many milions of its own kind over the millennia
                        Much worse have been the results of callous incompetence - the great famines sparked off by Stalin's collectivisation project and Mao's Five Year Plan are estimated between them alone to have killed 50,000,000 (Robert Conquest, Yang Jisheng)
                        Last edited by MarkV; 13 Jun 16, 06:41.

Comment

Originally posted by Wooden Wonder View Post
                          Actually the mechanism is different - in many cases they get the bugs from an infected person and then pass it on to another person by biting them Without the mossies, fleas and lice the disease could never spread so its the vector insects that are deadly.

Comment

Big problem is how do you decide who are good guys with guns and who are bad guys with guns? ...
                            You would have to have some faith in the concept of Good & Evil, to begin with.

Hmmmm....

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                            X