Philippine mayor offers bounties to kill criminals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Philippine mayor offers bounties to kill criminals

Tomas Osmena, incoming mayor of central Cebu city said he would pay policemen 50,000 pesos ($1,060) for each criminal they kill and 5,000 pesos for each one they wound.

"If you kill a criminal in the line of duty, (you'll be rewarded), no questions asked. I'm there to assist the police, not to prosecute them," Osmena told AFP by telephone.

"That is my purpose: to instil fear in the criminals. If they want to commit crimes, they get into war with me. I will see to it that they will be casualties."

Asked if such rewards might encourage vigilante killings, Osmena said: "I'm not going to suppress vigilantes."

Osmena's pledge comes after Duterte, the longtime mayor of southern Davao city, won the May 9 presidential elections in a landslide largely due to a controversial law-and-order platform headlined by a vow to kill tens of thousands of criminals.

Duterte vowed during the campaign to wipe out crime within six months by unleashing security forces with shoot-to-kill orders.

He said 100,000 criminals would die in his crackdown, and that so many bodies would be dumped in Manila Bay that the fish there would grow fat from feeding on them.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/...ptp&li=BBnbfcL
    Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies.

That is freaking insane. Can such executive orders even be legal? Have they been watching Judge Dredd too many times?

What are they gonna do? Gun down poor hungry people stealing food, jaywalkers, prostitutes and Johns, someone running a stop sign.........
    Flag: USA / Location: West Coast

Prayers.

BoRG

http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/8757/snap1ws8.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PtsX_Z3CMU

Comment

Get tough on crime and lift police morale at the same time.

Pretty clever.

I like the 'no questions asked' policy-that shows a real go-getter mindset.
      Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.

Comment

Originally posted by Arnold J Rimmer View Post
        Get tough on crime and lift police morale at the same time.

Pretty clever.

I like the 'no questions asked' policy-that shows a real go-getter mindset.
        No, it is an insane mindset. The possibilities for abuse is endless. Take out former high school rivals, another cop about to turn you in for corruption, some dude who cheat behind your daughter's back, your ex-wife's lover.......
        Flag: USA / Location: West Coast

Prayers.

BoRG

http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/8757/snap1ws8.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PtsX_Z3CMU

Comment

I don't know where he plans to find the money to pay these bounty hunters.
          Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies.

Comment

What's insane about it is, 50,000 is too much.
            "We have no white flag."

Comment

Putting police on commission is another bad idea..

Comment

Originally posted by GMan88 View Post
                What's insane about it is, 50,000 is too much.
                Well, they can always trim it back once the program gets rolling and they get an idea of the monthly numbers.
                Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.

Comment

This was tried in Jakarta briefly in IIRC 1999. A statement was issued to the public effectively saying - do not worry the police are only shooting criminals. When asked how does anyone know they're criminals back came the answer "because the police are shooting at them" ! There was a big outcry and the policy was shelved after a couple of weeks - it was dangerous as the underworld started shooting policemen on sight and bystanders were in the line of fire sometimes. Insane
                  Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe (H G Wells)
                  Mit der Dummheit kaempfen Goetter selbst vergebens (Friedrich von Schiller)

Comment

Originally posted by Urban hermit View Post
                    I don't know where he plans to find the money to pay these bounty hunters.
                    How much does it cost to keep a crimnal in lock up, court fees to find him guilty extra extra. Probably cheaper to shoot.

My problem is the risk of collateral damge is to high and cops may become a law on to them selfs.
                    you think you a real "bleep" solders you "bleep" plastic solders don't wory i will make you in to real "bleep" solders!! "bleep" plastic solders

CPO Mzinyati

Comment

Originally posted by Salinator View Post
                      No, it is an insane mindset. The possibilities for abuse is endless. Take out former high school rivals, another cop about to turn you in for corruption, some dude who cheat behind your daughter's back, your ex-wife's lover.......
                      It's Rimmers mind set, if there is a difference to be made.

Can you imagine that in SC LA. See a gang sign or tattoo, bang.

Then the mayor is dealing with his part of the PI that is much different than most of the US.
                      "Ask not what your country can do for you"

Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

Comment

Originally posted by andrewza View Post
                        How much does it cost to keep a crimnal in lock up, court fees to find him guilty extra extra. Probably cheaper to shoot.
                        Actually they aren't criminals until after a court has found them guilty. You appear to have an odd mind set.
                        Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe (H G Wells)
                        Mit der Dummheit kaempfen Goetter selbst vergebens (Friedrich von Schiller)

Comment

Originally posted by Salinator View Post
                          That is freaking insane. Can such executive orders even be legal? Have they been watching Judge Dredd too many times?

What are they gonna do? Gun down poor hungry people stealing food, jaywalkers, prostitutes and Johns, someone running a stop sign.........
                          Well, I did think it was going to be Martial Law again, but a government sanctioned kill spree is pretty much in line with my fears correct?

Still, I see calls for such things concerning Detroit and Chicago. Would it be okay there?

Comment

Originally posted by MarkV View Post
                            Actually they aren't criminals until after a court has found them guilty. You appear to have an odd mind set.
                            I have a odd sucspstion that the courts may find people guiltie more than innocent in that town.
                            you think you a real "bleep" solders you "bleep" plastic solders don't wory i will make you in to real "bleep" solders!! "bleep" plastic solders

CPO Mzinyati

Comment

How do you tell suspects from the guilty?
                              More importantly where does it stop, this pretty much means open warfare, and inevitable assassinations.
                              Like Mexico.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X