Is this a good idea?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this a good idea?

Given Australia's not brilliant record of using biological controls - myxamatosis and the cane toad - is the idea of introducing fish virus a wise idea?
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-australia-36189409
    Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe (H G Wells)
    Mit der Dummheit kaempfen Goetter selbst vergebens (Friedrich von Schiller)

Mankind's track record in this area is abysmal. Introducing an alien virus to eradicate an invasive species of fish is almost as dumb as introducing the invasive fish species in the first place.
    Watts Up With That? | The world's most viewed site on global warming and climate change.

Comment

Originally posted by The Doctor View Post
      Mankind's track record in this area is abysmal. Introducing an alien virus to eradicate an invasive species of fish is almost as dumb as introducing the invasive fish species in the first place.
      As a scientist myself, I completely agree. Carp does not taste so bad. Why aren't American, maybe now Australian should try it. You can buy them in Asian Grocery Stores. They taste better than cat fish and tilapia. Eat the enemy I say.

Fish and Chips anyone? They are not bad prepared Chinese way too. Steam it, deep fried, or braised in soy sauce.

Since there are abundance of them, they should be cheap source of fish oil.
      Nice is heavy on my mind.
      I pray and wish the best for France.

Comment

The carp causing the trouble are descended from escaped farm fish - originally specially bred and intended for eating so wave your gladdies and tuck in possums.
        Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe (H G Wells)

Comment

Why not just harvest it?
          "We have no white flag."

Comment

Originally posted by GMan88 View Post
            Why not just harvest it?
            Yes, it's used for garden fertilizer.
            "I dogmatise and am contradicted, and in this conflict of opinions and sentiments I find delight".
            Samuel Johnson.

Comment

Originally posted by GMan88 View Post
              Why not just harvest it?

"Charlie Carp is the ONLY fertiliser on the market today that can boast about its enormous benefits to the Garden as well as to the Environment!

Perfect for everything your garden grows we use the whole fish so Charlie Carp is full of all the vitamins and minerals essential for a beautiful garden and lawn. Economical and easy to apply Charlie Carp goes to work immediately creating a healthy immune system and strong growth……not only are we growing beautiful gardens and lawns…we are cleaning up the waterways of Australia. Now that’s a Bonus! "

See Mark V: the "gladdies" benefit.
              "I dogmatise and am contradicted, and in this conflict of opinions and sentiments I find delight".
              Samuel Johnson.

Comment

Originally posted by BELGRAVE View Post

"Charlie Carp is the ONLY fertiliser on the market today that can boast about its enormous benefits to the Garden as well as to the Environment!

Perfect for everything your garden grows we use the whole fish so Charlie Carp is full of all the vitamins and minerals essential for a beautiful garden and lawn. Economical and easy to apply Charlie Carp goes to work immediately creating a healthy immune system and strong growth……not only are we growing beautiful gardens and lawns…we are cleaning up the waterways of Australia. Now that’s a Bonus! "

See Mark V: the "gladdies" benefit.
                So why the bonkers scheme to use herpes to kill them all?

Comment

A more informed link to read... https://blog.csiro.au/reclaiming-our...om-feral-carp/
                  "In modern war... you will die like a dog for no good reason."
                  Ernest Hemingway.

"The more I learn about people, The more I love my dog".
                  Mark Twain.

Comment

Given that he's using the Myxamatosis used to control Rabbits as a model I find it exceedingly ill informed. This went out of control and infected rabbits in nations all over the world - many of which did not want to control rabbits or if they did not by this method. Introducing it was the height of irresponsibility.

Comment

Originally posted by MarkV View Post
                      exactly!
                      "We have no white flag."

Comment

Pass,but Mr Barnaby Joyce is known for his er -individual pronouncements.

The CSIRO blog quoted by Achtung Babytells all.
                        Samuel Johnson.

Comment

They are extremely destructive to river systems & native fish species. I grew up near the Murray River, as did several generations of my family. In the 50s & 60s my mother & grandparents regularly caught a wide range of native fish, including the huge Murray Cod. By the time I was fishing in the mid-80s you would pull out 10 carp to one of anything else, and the range of native species had dramatically declined. We killed the carp & threw back the natives, but that was just making ourselves feel good rather than having an impact.

'Harvesting' won't deal with that because it can never be well enough targeted or implemented widely enough. That isn't a vote for Barnaby's herpes plan, more an observation on why carp are such an issue. Biological controls have a mixed history in Australia, but it isn't one of total failure. We are getting better at it, provided it is able to be done properly.
                          Human beings are the only creatures on Earth that claim a god and the only living thing that behaves like it hasn't got one - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Given that he's using the Myxamatosis used to control Rabbits as a model I find it exceedingly ill informed. This went out of control and infected rabbits in nations all over the world - many of which did not want to control rabbits or if they did not by this method. Introducing it was the height of irresponsibility.
                            if you read the blog you'll discover that koi herpes is already 'out there' devastating fish populations. Nothing we do here will make that worse.

As for the impact of Myxamatosis, tough ****. Some moronic Englishman introduced rabbits here to shoot for sport. The result was devastating. Just one member of a long list of introduced species and diseases that have wrought havoc in Australia - most introduced before we were a nation capable of enacting our own border controls.

As a 'virgin ecosystem' that has spent millenia separated from the rest of the world Australia is particularly vulnerable to the uncontrolled introduction of species & diseases. What we do to control invasive species is our own damned business.
                            Human beings are the only creatures on Earth that claim a god and the only living thing that behaves like it hasn't got one - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Given Australia's not brilliant record of using biological controls - myxamatosis and the cane toad - is the idea of introducing fish virus a wise idea?
                              http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-australia-36189409
                              'Not brilliant' ???

Firstly Myxomatosis did exactly want it was supposed to do for many decades - have a significant impact on the continent's rabbit population. It's introduction was product of prolonged and very calculated scientific study. Cane toads on the other hand were introduced because an ill informed senior public servant (in the Customs Department I think) 'thought' they would eliminate an agricultural pest i.e. sugar cane beetles and OKed their introduction without any scientific study at all.

Australia actually has a very enviable track record in biological control and enhancement - take a look at our dung beetle and cactoblastis moth programs for example. All of which were the product of careful scientific study and all of which were necessitated by the careless, unplanned or otherwise unscientific introduction of pest or non-native species onto the continent.

The carp virus should do very well as a biological control agent and as a result the % of the (good eating) native species in our rivers should bounce back.

Biological pest Control is one area of science where Australia actually has a leading edge, if only because we have had so many introduced pests to deal with unlike say Europe or Asia. That said modern, trans-global trade and passenger movements are going to make the control of introduced pest species a world wild issue in the near future - Funnel Web spiders for California anyone?
                              Last edited by Monash; 15 May 16, 06:25.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• casanova
                                Berlin.1945
                                by casanova
                                The Sowjet T-34 tank against a German Tiger tank in Berlin in the II World War in 1945. ...
                                Yesterday, 23:41
                              • casanova
                                AW 169M
                                by casanova
                                The Austrian minister of defence Klaudia Tanner declared the buy of 18 Italian military helicopters of the type AW 169M for the Austrian army, the Bundesheer....
                                Yesterday, 23:26
                              • JBark
                                What changed?
                                by JBark
                                There was a time not too long ago when this forum was full of discussion, multiple posts, votes and involved discussions on the best of the war, etc.,...
                                Yesterday, 18:54
                              Working...
                              X