Wishing the Japanese rescuers best of endeavours

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wishing the Japanese rescuers best of endeavours

Since no one else seems concerned may I express the wish that the rescuers in the recent Japanese earthquakes succeed as far as it is possible to do so?
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-36061583
    Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe (H G Wells)
    Mit der Dummheit kaempfen Goetter selbst vergebens (Friedrich von Schiller)

I offer my best wishes and prayers for the victims for the Japanese Earth Quake Victims. May the Devine Wind be with the Japanese Rescuers.

Thanks Mark!
    Nice is heavy on my mind.
    I pray and wish the best for France.

Comment

Absolutely Mark,

Thoughts and prayers with the people of Japan.

We seem to be so preoccupied with trivia these days, that tragedies like this don't even register on the radar.

http://edition.cnn.com/2016/04/16/as...an-earthquake/
      Last edited by Tuck's Luck; 16 Apr 16, 20:55.
      "COOMMAAAAAAANNNNDOOOO!!!!!"
      - Mad Jack Churchill.

Comment

Well said Mark.
        "Patriotism is your conviction that this country is superior to all other countries because you were born in it"
        G.B Shaw

"They promised us homes fit for heroes, they give us heroes fit for homes."
        Grandad, Only Fools and Horses

Comment

Condolences to the departed's families.
          "We have no white flag."

Comment

Let's not forget Peru, they go hit with a bigger one with 77 dead at last count.
            "Ask not what your country can do for you"

Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

Comment

Originally posted by Half Pint John View Post
              Let's not forget Peru, they go hit with a bigger one with 77 dead at last count.
              Ecuador not Peru
              Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe (H G Wells)

Comment

Originally posted by MarkV View Post
                Ecuador not Peru
                Correct, thanks. I guess the other side of the border didn't get any shaking.
                "Ask not what your country can do for you"

Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

Comment

I got a bad feeling the PNW is next. It's been some time since we got a biggie. The ones in Japan I consider medium quakes. The one in Ecuador was reported as a 7.8.

You can find the scale chart here.

http://www.geo.mtu.edu/UPSeis/magnitude.html
                  Credo quia absurdum.

Quantum mechanics describes nature as absurd from the point of view of common sense. And yet it fully agrees with experiment. So I hope you can accept nature as She is - absurd! - Richard Feynman

Comment

Originally posted by Bwaha View Post
                    I got a bad feeling the PNW is next. It's been some time since we got a biggie. The ones in Japan I consider medium quakes. The one in Ecuador was reported as a 7.8.

You can find the scale chart here.

http://www.geo.mtu.edu/UPSeis/magnitude.html
                    The 2nd Shock in Japan was 7.4 - that is not medium. Japan had two shocks unusually the 2nd was larger than the first and the first weakened structures and loosened hill sides so the 2nd shock had even more effect. I've experienced a medium quake (Athens Sept 1999 5.9 Richter Scale and 22 dead) and that wasn't pleasant so I dread to think what it was like in Ecuador and Japan.

Although Japan is in an earthquake zone that particular region has never recorded a big one before. It has also set off a volcanic eruption just to make things worse.

The area in Ecuador has a lot of earthquake activity and at the beginning of the last century had the largest ever recorded in modern history and many more in the intervening years nevertheless their infrastructure appears less resilient than Japan's

Comment

The 2nd Shock in Japan was 7.4 - that is not medium. Japan had two shocks unusually the 2nd was larger than the first and the first weakened structures and loosened hill sides so the 2nd shock had even more effect. I've experienced a medium quake (Athens Sept 1999 5.9 Richter Scale and 22 dead) and that wasn't pleasant so I dread to think what it was like in Ecuador and Japan.

Although Japan is in an earthquake zone that particular region has never recorded a big one before. It has also set off a volcanic eruption just to make things worse.

The area in Ecuador has a lot of earthquake activity and at the beginning of the last century had the largest ever recorded in modern history and many more in the intervening years nevertheless their infrastructure appears less resilient than Japan's
                      Holy 7.4? That is a biggie. I was about a mile or so from the epicenter of the Loma Prieta one and that was a 6.9 and I made it through without anything more than some cracked sheet-rock. But my place is engineered to take quakes, (wood framing, lots of sheer walls ect...)
                      Credo quia absurdum.

Quantum mechanics describes nature as absurd from the point of view of common sense. And yet it fully agrees with experiment. So I hope you can accept nature as She is - absurd! - Richard Feynman

Comment

https://www.rt.com/viral/339859-japa...m-earthquakes/

Japanese city blanketed in ‘mysterious foam’ after deadly earthquakes*

Any idea what it is? It kind of reminded me of the mysterious foam in China after the port explosion.
                        "We have no white flag."

Comment

Godzilla got excited...

Credo quia absurdum.

Comment

Since no one else seems concerned may I express the wish that the rescuers in the recent Japanese earthquakes succeed as far as it is possible to do so?
                            http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-36061583
                            I think most folks are concerned, and that goes for the other seismos that hit the other side of the Pacific. The problem is that there seems to be so many disasters going on of various kinds, and we lumpen prols get a feeling of helplessness while faced with the seemingly constant and overwhelming needs.

Given my age, health and income limitations, I always seek to do the little I can - including a monthly DD to a well run charity that is almost certainly currently involved.

Comment

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-36061657
                              http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/video_and_...lines/36069864

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X