Feminist Buddhist Nuns

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Feminist Buddhist Nuns

Feminism is reaching uncharted territory, Tibet.

Tibetan Buddhist nuns take up feminism and seek equal status with monks

Religiously devoted and with a shaved head and flowing burgundy robes, Xinde Shijiamouni has all the trappings of a Tibetan Buddhist monk. But her serenity is troubled because, as a nun, she cannot reach the same clerical status as a man.

In the harsh terrain and relative isolation of western China, Tibetan culture has long been patriarchal. Now more than 100 nuns at the Larung Gar Buddhist Institute – the largest Tibetan Buddhist academy in the world – are challenging that, holding study sessions on feminism and sparking a nascent religious movement.

The group have published a series of books on female Buddhist figures and put out a magazine once a year. But many senior monks view their calls with suspicion, decrying sexual equality as a “Western concept”.

http://www.scmp.com/lifestyle/articl...l-status-monks
    "Stand for the flag ~ Kneel for the fallen"

"A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer." ~ Bruce Lee

Hmm wonder what the dalai lama will say...
    "We have no white flag."

Comment

Doesn't Catholics have the same problem? Nuns can't reach very high in priesthood too? Muslims certainly aren't very enlightened either.
      Nice is heavy on my mind.
      I pray and wish the best for France.

Comment

I'm surprised they are so strict with nuns. Buddhism studied in the other countries should be more receptive to equality for nuns.

Buddhism in the western world have allowed gays to be ordained as Buddhist monastics and clergies.

Comment

Originally posted by Percy Coburg View Post
          I'm surprised they are so strict with nuns. Buddhism studied in the other countries should be more receptive to equality for nuns.

Buddhism in the western world have allowed gays to be ordained as Buddhist monastics and clergies.
          Maybe they're allowed so long as they're guys, I suppose?
          "We have no white flag."

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
          X