Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Aussie bias toward cute animals

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Aussie bias toward cute animals

    Australia’s ‘ugly’ animals attract less scientific attention

    The bias towards more attractive creatures means that while ‘ugly’ animals make up 45 percent of Australia’s native fauna, they are rarely subject to intense scientific scrutiny, said a study to be published in Mammal Review this week.

    We know so little about them, we tend to ignore them completely. But everyone knows what a koala and kangaroo looks like.”

    Fleming, a wildlife biologist at Western Australia’s Murdoch University, said this bias had a potential impact on conservation, with an incomplete understanding of the importance of these often small and nocturnal animals on ecosystems making them more vulnerable.

    “The major problem is that if you don’t know anything about their biology you could manage their environment in a way that’s detrimental to them,” she said.

    Fleming said while global and national conservation funding largely overlooked the ‘ugly’ species -- which include hairy rodents and the carnivorous ghost bat with its oversized, fleshy ears and sharp teeth -- these were the ones arguably most in need of research.


    http://english.alarabiya.net/en/vari...ttention-.html
    Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies.

  • #2
    But...but the Aussies don't seem to like Donald. Isn't he about as ugly has it get's
    "Ask not what your country can do for you"

    Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

    you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Urban hermit View Post
      Australia’s ‘ugly’ animals attract less scientific attention

      The bias towards more attractive creatures means that while ‘ugly’ animals make up 45 percent of Australia’s native fauna, they are rarely subject to intense scientific scrutiny, said a study to be published in Mammal Review this week.

      We know so little about them, we tend to ignore them completely. But everyone knows what a koala and kangaroo looks like.”

      Fleming, a wildlife biologist at Western Australia’s Murdoch University, said this bias had a potential impact on conservation, with an incomplete understanding of the importance of these often small and nocturnal animals on ecosystems making them more vulnerable.

      “The major problem is that if you don’t know anything about their biology you could manage their environment in a way that’s detrimental to them,” she said.

      Fleming said while global and national conservation funding largely overlooked the ‘ugly’ species -- which include hairy rodents and the carnivorous ghost bat with its oversized, fleshy ears and sharp teeth -- these were the ones arguably most in need of research.


      http://english.alarabiya.net/en/vari...ttention-.html
      Not confined to Australia - look at all the money and effort expended over the Giant Panda which is probably an evolutionary dead end anyway but looks cuddly
      Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe (H G Wells)
      Mit der Dummheit kaempfen Goetter selbst vergebens (Friedrich von Schiller)

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Half Pint John View Post
        But...but the Aussies don't seem to like Donald. Isn't he about as ugly has it get's
        and would it be a tragedy if he went extinct?
        Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe (H G Wells)
        Mit der Dummheit kaempfen Goetter selbst vergebens (Friedrich von Schiller)

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by MarkV View Post
          and would it be a tragedy if he went extinct?
          Not just him but his dense supporters.
          "Ask not what your country can do for you"

          Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

          you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

          Comment


          • #6
            It could be worse. Here in Louisiana the Cajuns have a sauce for just about every critter found here. I am not sure about skunk, fox and buzzard, but those are probably protected by politicians as "cousins".

            Pruitt
            Pruitt, you are truly an expert! Kelt06

            Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

            by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Pruitt View Post
              It could be worse. Here in Louisiana the Cajuns have a sauce for just about every critter found here. I am not sure about skunk, fox and buzzard, but those are probably protected by politicians as "cousins".

              Pruitt
              http://cdn.theawl.com/wp-content/upl...2414229430.jpg
              Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe (H G Wells)
              Mit der Dummheit kaempfen Goetter selbst vergebens (Friedrich von Schiller)

              Comment


              • #8
                We in the Meat Industry used to refer to something called the "Cuddly Animal syndrome".

                We noticed that if our meatworks was pulling appart gigantic Iguana's for their meat, nobody would have given a tinker's cuss about the rights of the creatures concerned.

                This also explains why seal pups are given much press when being harvested.

                Interesting also, tonight someone on the BBC was mentioning a new technique for 'sexing' chickens before they hatch from the egg. At the moment, males that are unwanted are put into something called a "masticator", (a very fast set of grinding wheels) or are simply gassed with carbon-monoxide.

                The new australian technique will be able to modify a chicken-egg so that a male egg will show up as "green" under a UV light, and the egg can then be disposed of. currently, billions of male chickens are put to death annually worldwide for the simple reason that they don't lay eggs, or are not bread for tender and plump breasts and thighs.

                Even in the world of Chickens, the girls have got a distinct advantage.
                My Articles, ALMOST LIVE, exclusive to The Armchair!

                Soviet Submarines in WW2....The Mythology of Shiloh....(Edited) Both Sides of the Warsaw Ghetto
                GULAG Glossary....Who Really Killed The Red Baron?....Pearl Harbor At 75
                Lincoln-Douglas Debates

                Comment


                • #9
                  I believe Fleming is trying to get more research funding...
                  Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Urban hermit View Post
                    I believe Fleming is trying to get more research funding...
                    Aren't they all?
                    Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe (H G Wells)
                    Mit der Dummheit kaempfen Goetter selbst vergebens (Friedrich von Schiller)

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by MarkV View Post
                      Aren't they all?
                      Indeed. Maybe those animals should try to look better or taste good.
                      Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        What was that about "Aussies not liking donald?"

                        I admit to starting out as niether a fan of the Man or his policies.

                        But on reflection, looking at the reaction from a tinpot country like Mexico that is beginning to realise that americans don't want their illegal immmigrants, (and the churlish way they claim that the U.S. economy somehow benefits from Mexica "Co-operation"), all this has changed my view. I hope Mr. Trump builds his wall, and that semi-educated Mexicans stare impotenetly at it for evermore.

                        Every Mexican that slips into the country potentially takes a low skilled job from Americans that cannot afford, or are unwilling, to put themselves through higher education at great cost.

                        The option should be there to simply work in a low paying job if you want to.

                        Mexicans and other illegals make it impossible, sweeping up all the jobs that they should be doing in their own country.

                        Go home Mexico. America is tired of propping up your sordid little country.
                        My Articles, ALMOST LIVE, exclusive to The Armchair!

                        Soviet Submarines in WW2....The Mythology of Shiloh....(Edited) Both Sides of the Warsaw Ghetto
                        GULAG Glossary....Who Really Killed The Red Baron?....Pearl Harbor At 75
                        Lincoln-Douglas Debates

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Drusus Nero View Post
                          What was that about "Aussies not liking donald?"

                          I admit to starting out as niether a fan of the Man or his policies.

                          But on reflection, looking at the reaction from a tinpot country like Mexico that is beginning to realise that americans don't want their illegal immmigrants, (and the churlish way they claim that the U.S. economy somehow benefits from Mexica "Co-operation"), all this has changed my view. I hope Mr. Trump builds his wall, and that semi-educated Mexicans stare impotenetly at it for evermore.

                          Every Mexican that slips into the country potentially takes a low skilled job from Americans that cannot afford, or are unwilling, to put themselves through higher education at great cost.

                          The option should be there to simply work in a low paying job if you want to.

                          Mexicans and other illegals make it impossible, sweeping up all the jobs that they should be doing in their own country.

                          Go home Mexico. America is tired of propping up your sordid little country.
                          At little harsh, perhaps ?
                          Still, as to Aussies not liking Trump, regardless of his policies, it must be said that the man is vastly entertaining, making our local politicians look colourless and totally without passion in comparison.
                          That's the secret of his success, of course.
                          "I dogmatise and am contradicted, and in this conflict of opinions and sentiments I find delight".
                          Samuel Johnson.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Can't say I find any of the current presidential hopefuls particularly cute or cuddly although stick an apple in Trump's mouth glaze and bake him you might be able to make him look appetising (there certainly a lot of ham in him). The only one who might slip under the net would be Bernie Saunders who might pass as someone's lovably eccentric* grandfather.

                            *lovably eccentric = a complete fruitcake but wealthy
                            Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe (H G Wells)
                            Mit der Dummheit kaempfen Goetter selbst vergebens (Friedrich von Schiller)

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by BELGRAVE View Post
                              At little harsh, perhaps ?
                              Still, as to Aussies not liking Trump, regardless of his policies, it must be said that the man is vastly entertaining, making our local politicians look colourless and totally without passion in comparison.
                              That's the secret of his success, of course.
                              I don't consider DN being at all harsh in this respect.

                              And I would feel much happier were there someone like Donald Trump as our leader, instead of the spineless lump of jelly we have to put up with at the present time.

                              At least Tony Abbott had some backbone.

                              He stopped the boats, which we were assured hand on heart by the left absolutely could not be done, the Mexican border equivalent of which Donald Trump is hoping to achieve.

                              More power to him.
                              Last edited by At ease; 14 Mar 16, 11:14.
                              "It's like shooting rats in a barrel."
                              "You'll be in a barrel if you don't watch out for the fighters!"

                              "Talking about airplanes is a very pleasant mental disease."
                              — Sergei(son of Igor) Sikorsky, 'AOPA Pilot' magazine February 2003.

                              Comment

                              Latest Topics

                              Collapse

                              Working...
                              X