Vietnamese gather to commemorate border war with China

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vietnamese gather to commemorate border war with China

HANOI, Vietnam (AP) More than 100 people have gathered in Hanoi to commemorate the anniversary of Vietnam's brief but bloody border war with China.

Thirty seven years ago, 600,000 Chinese troops invaded Vietnam to "teach Vietnam a lesson" for ousting the Beijing-backed Khmer Rouge in Cambodia. China withdrew its troops after a month.
    AP - Full Article

600,000 troops and it's called a border war?
    "We have no white flag."

Comment

My respects to the perseverance Vietnamese People. Fighting off two giants is not easy, US and then China.
      Nice is heavy on my mind.
      I pray and wish the best for France.

Comment

Originally posted by GMan88 View Post
        By China's standards, that's a skirmish!

Comment

Originally posted by The Exorcist View Post
          By China's standards, that's a skirmish!

"We have no white flag."

Comment

Originally posted by MSGT MSC USAR View Post
            My respects to the perseverance Vietnamese People. Fighting off two giants is not easy, US and then China.
            Quite right. Exactly.
            Mutare vel timere sperno

Nec Aspera Terrent

Comment

Originally posted by GMan88 View Post
              That is the Vietnamese claim, China says it was closer to 200,000. Estimates of casualties also varied wildly according to source.
              Human beings are the only creatures on Earth that claim a god and the only living thing that behaves like it hasn't got one - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Originally posted by BF69 View Post
                That is the Vietnamese claim, China says it was closer to 200,000. Estimates of casualties also varied wildly according to source.
                From what I read 250K PLA troops seems to be the most accurate. The PLA did took heavy casualties in range of 20K for the ~ 4 weeks of intensive warfare. The VPA took approx. the same number.

What is bitter for many of the veterans on both sides is the fact that combat-action continue until 1988. Some of the veterans were in those poorly supported outposts along the border for 10 years - always under constant threat of raids by hostile comandos.
                Tolerance and apathy are the last virtues of a dying culture. Aristotle

Comment

It was back in early 1979 amusingly ironic to see the Communist Vietnamese and the Communist Chinese come to blows less than 4 short years after the fall of Saigon and the victory of North Vietnam. The Chinese People's Republic through the 1960s and early 1970s were the great supporters and benefactors of the Communist-led nationalist-revolutionary guerrillas in South Vietnam and of course of North Vietnam, the Democratic Republic of Vietnam. Marxist-Leninist solidarity between Communist states was clearly trumped by ethnic antipathy and nationalist sentiment, as was always true of the Communist countries of East Asia during the Cold War.
                  Mutare vel timere sperno

Nec Aspera Terrent

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                  X