China says it is building its second aircraft carrier

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• China says it is building its second aircraft carrier

BEIJING (AP) China is building its second aircraft carrier, this time entirely with domestic technology, its Defense Ministry said Thursday, in a leap in its naval development that is increasingly tipping the regional balance of power.

The 50,000-ton vessel is being built in the northern port of Dalian and will be conventionally, rather than nuclear, powered, ministry spokesman Col. Yang Yujun told reporters at a news conference.

The yet-to-be-named vessel will carry J-15 fighter-bombers and other aircraft and use a ski jump mode for launching fixed-wing aircraft, Yang said. The J-15 is a copy of Russia's Sukhoi Su-33.

"After an overall consideration of various factors, the relevant authorities started the research and development of China's second aircraft carrier which is currently under independent design and construction," Yang said.
    AP - Full Article

A few weeks late, but this seemed interesting enough to mention. Any thoughts on the nature of the new Chinese carrier?

Sounds like a low tech, hardly-any-improvement-from-the-first-carrier carrier.

I think the plan plan was to build 4 more(?) Maybe those will be more modern ones already. In the meantime, maybe this one'll be another training ship.
    "We have no white flag."

Comment

Originally posted by GMan88 View Post
      Sounds like a low tech, hardly-any-improvement-from-the-first-carrier carrier.

I think the plan plan was to build 4 more(?) Maybe those will be more modern ones already. In the meantime, maybe this one'll be another training ship.
      I don't think they need a super modern one. 80's Soviet era Carrier tech is still ok for the region. The rest of the fleet supporting it and the aircraft they carry is probably more significant in this equation.

Comment

Interesting, some analysts thought a larger carrier could be on the cards, but instead we will have something similar to the Liaoning. I guess all these new islands popping up in the South China Sea will help curtail the deficiencies these carriers have out in the blue waters.
        "In modern war... you will die like a dog for no good reason."
        Ernest Hemingway.

"We're all going to die, all of us; what a circus! That alone should make us love each other, but it doesn't. We are terrorised and flattened by trivialities."
        Bukowski

Comment

Originally posted by ThoseDeafMutes View Post
          I don't think they need a super modern one. 80's Soviet era Carrier tech is still ok for the region. The rest of the fleet supporting it and the aircraft they carry is probably more significant in this equation.
          It's can carry up to 50 fighters and helicopters. Right now they don't even have enough for a full complement on one. Anyway, just my guess, that the second one will also be a training ship to develop cadre for their succeeding carriers.
          "We have no white flag."

Comment

Well they need to find something to do with all that excess steel they are producing.
            Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe (H G Wells)
            Mit der Dummheit kaempfen Goetter selbst vergebens (Friedrich von Schiller)

Comment

Let's see how their economy holds up before counting more ships.
              Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.

Comment

Originally posted by Arnold J Rimmer View Post
                Let's see how their economy holds up before counting more ships.
                Maybe they can turn those empty apartment buildings into ships.

Comment

Navies always start like this, with a smaller ship that carries less than half what a real carrier can carry, and that costs 60-70% of what the larger carrier does.

Yeah, military logic, the ultimate oxymoron.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                  X