Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Obama to push Myanmar to cut military ties with North Korea during his trip to Asia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Obama to push Myanmar to cut military ties with North Korea during his trip to Asia

ABOARD AIR FORCE ONE | Sat Nov 17, 2012 11:03am EST

(Reuters) - President Barack Obama will push Myanmar to cut its military ties with North Korea when he visits the former pariah state as part of three-country swing through Asia, a White House official said on Saturday.

He will have a "dialogue with the Burmese government about the need to reduce their relationship with North Korea," Ben Rhodes, deputy national security adviser, told reporters.

The Obama administration still refers to Myanmar by its older name, Burma.

"We see that as an issue where they've been moving in a positive direction," Rhodes said. "We'd like reinforce that action and, again, see Burma break its military ties with the North Koreans."

From: http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/...8MH0Z920121117
    "The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." Bertrand Russell

Well I wish him luck with that one. In any other year he might be able to offer US aid to sweeten a deal. This year money is going to be damned hard to come by.
    Any metaphor will tear if stretched over too much reality.

Questions about our site? See the FAQ.

Comment

Originally posted by GCoyote View Post
      Well I wish him luck with that one. In any other year he might be able to offer US aid to sweeten a deal. This year money is going to be damned hard to come by.
      He can offer Burma stuff like support for accession to the WTO, possibility of MFN status with the US, support for access to World Bank funding, etc.

Philip
      "The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." Bertrand Russell

Comment

If I were a younger man and still had some of my old fire, I'd be heading to Myanmar to set up new businesses while the country is still largely virgin.

Their coastline, for example, is extensive and likely to have outstanding beaches - ideal for setting up resorts for the massive influx of tourists which is certain to follow the ongoing economic and political liberalization of the country.

Philip

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
        X