Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Laos approves controversial 'mega' dam on Mekong

5 November 2012

Laos has given the go-ahead to build a massive dam on the lower Mekong river, despite opposition from neighbouring countries and environmentalists.
    A formal ceremony marking the start of full construction at Xayaburi would be held on Wednesday, the government said. Countries downstream from the $3.5bn (£2.2bn) dam fear it will affect fish stocks and the livelihoods of millions. The announcement came as leaders from Asia and Europe began a two-day meeting in the Laos capital, Vientiane.

Concerns about fish migration and sediment flow had been addressed thanks to modifications to the original dam design costing more than $100m. Sediment will be allowed out of the bottom of the dam periodically through a flap and lifts, and ladders will help the fish travel upstream.

More at: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-20203072
    "The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts."— Bertrand Russell

It isn't so much the fish ladders for fish going upstream. It is the turbines sucking in fish heading downstream! Fish puree anyone?

Pruitt
    Pruitt, you are truly an expert! Kelt06

Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"

Comment

I hope this project is successful, but I have my doubts that the Thai company building it. Even bigger, well established companies have issues.

A Brazilian company called Vale is building the Belo Monte Dam Complex in the Amazon. If the massive dam project is completed, it will have disastrous social and environmental consequences, including the forced relocation of 40,000 people and devastation of the river's ecosystem. This ecosystem is the basis of survival for indigenous communities, riverbank communities and fishermen.
      "Stand for the flag ~ Kneel for the fallen"

"A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer." ~ Bruce Lee

Comment

I heard that the US State Dept has issued a warning to the Laotian government about going forward with this dam project.
        They are backing the neighboring countries who are against it.

In addition, the World Bank announced sanctions against the Finnish company that approved a disputed environmental assessment in favor of the project.

"A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer." ~ Bruce Lee

Comment

The Cambodian and Vietnamese ambassadors were present at the groundbreaking ceremony last week, so I guess they've dropped their countries' objections.

From: http://laovoices.com/ground-broken-for-xayaboury-dam/

A groundbreaking ceremony to signify the start of construction of the Xayaboury dam took place last week at the project site on the Mekong River. There has been much conjecture about the project, but the Lao government is now confident it has satisfied all parties with a redesign of the dam, and has undertaken hydrological and fish migration studies.

Laos has worked hard to improve on the design and build a ‘transparent dam’ that allows river traffic, fish and sediment to pass.

Xayaboury Power Company Deputy Managing Director, Mr Rewat Suwanakitti, outlined the construction schedule, saying that the run-of-river project is slated for completion in 2019, but the Lao government wants to accelerate the project and is aiming for a completion date of 2018. “We are highly confident that the Xayaboury run-of-river project will be successful because the contractors have the necessary expertise and capacity,” Mr Rewat said. Many run-of-river dams have been built in both Europe and the US, he added. They have a minimal effect on the environment, and the project contractors have extensive dam building experience, having previously completed projects in 10 western countries.

Read more at: http://laovoices.com/ground-broken-for-xayaboury-dam/
          "The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts."— Bertrand Russell

Comment

I'm sure the Laotian government is doing their best to build a environmentally friendly dam. I'm impressed they were able to get pass the environmentalists. It is virtually an impossible feat here in the U.S.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
            X