Australian Culture - The Melbourne Cup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Australian Culture - The Melbourne Cup

First Tuesday in November every year ...

Comments, thoughts, etc, welcomed for the day or the song.
    The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. Thomas Jefferson.

Tomorrow's Cup looks like being an interesting one.

I've been warned not to encourage gambling so I'll just say I hope everyone has an enjoyable day however they spend it.
    The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. Thomas Jefferson.

Comment

Originally posted by Cosmos View Post
      Tomorrow's Cup looks like being an interesting one.

I've been warned not to encourage gambling so I'll just say I hope everyone has an enjoyable day however they spend it.
      Encouraging gambling ? It's virtually mandatory to bet on THE CUP:- and quite right too !

(Even if, like me, you know virtually nothing about horse racing).
      "I dogmatise and am contradicted, and in this conflict of opinions and sentiments I find delight".
      Samuel Johnson.

Comment

Originally posted by BELGRAVE View Post
        Encouraging gambling ? It's virtually mandatory to bet on THE CUP:- and quite right too !

(Even if, like me, you know virtually nothing about horse racing).
        Aye. Mug punters day. I'll put some money down on a couple of horses, and I'll have a flutter with a trifecta. Win or lose, it doesn't really matter. It's spring, it's a holiday, and a horse most people have never heard of gets a chance to become a national hero.
        Matthew 5:9 Blessed are the cheesemakers

That's right bitches. I'm blessed!

Comment

Weather forecasts for Melbourne on Cup Day

BOM radar http://www.bom.gov.au/products/IDR024.shtml
          Looks clear at the moment ; click on Loops to see animated version.

BOM forecast http://www.bom.gov.au/vic/forecasts/melbourne.shtml
          Showers in the afternoon but only a couple of mm expected which shouldn't make much difference.

YR.NO animated forecast for today, tomorrow and Thursday shows those showers this afternoon. http://www.yr.no/place/Australia/Victoria/Melbourne/

Comment

yeah, Melbourne cup day doesnt get much better than today for me.

working backwards,
            traveled part of way home on Manly ferry on a sunny Sydney day ( beats #$%^&* overcast Melbourne weather)

Had to walk past the wharf hotel at Manly, saw plenty of attractive young ladies with high heels and short hems.

Knocked off work early.

Won the work sweeps stake, $2 a ticket, won $24 on a horse I had not heard of until I drew it's name from a hat.

Its all good today
            Last edited by pball; 06 Nov 12, 03:37. Reason: detail

Comment

Originally posted by pball View Post

Knocked off work early.
              Yeah, but that having to work stuff sorta starts you off waaaaaaaaaay in the negative.

Pretty ho-hum day at the punt for me, with 2nd in the cup getting good enough place money to cover the rest of a day of backing glue factory candidates.

Comment

I'm still working out how I got paid time 1/2 because of a horse race.

Hey, I'm not complaining....life here has not been bad to me @ all.
                "Take the risk of thinking for yourself, much more happiness, truth, beauty, and wisdom will come to you that way." - Christopher Hitchens

Comment

Originally posted by globetrotter View Post
                  That would most likely be because of an Award Rate negotiated (by a union or an association that you are or could be a member of) for a Public Holiday. It would be a PH if you work in the Melbourne Metropolitan area.

Comment

Originally posted by Cosmos View Post
                    That would most likely be because of an Award Rate negotiated (by a union or an association that you are or could be a member of) for a Public Holiday. It would be a PH if you work in the Melbourne Metropolitan area.
                    Hey I'm not a city slicker, and I got paid double time.
                    "In modern war... you will die like a dog for no good reason."
                    Ernest Hemingway.

"The more I learn about people, The more I love my dog".
                    Mark Twain.

Comment

Originally posted by globetrotter View Post

Hey, I'm not complaining....life here has not been bad to me @ all.
                      Relax and enjoy your problem, mate.

No worries, eh?

Comment

Aussie haute couture: the envy of the entire western world.
                        I was married for two ******* years! Hell would be like Club Med! - Sam Kinison

Comment

Originally posted by slick_miester View Post
                          Well, yes. No cultural pretensions around here,mate.
                          "I dogmatise and am contradicted, and in this conflict of opinions and sentiments I find delight".
                          Samuel Johnson.

Comment

Originally posted by slick_miester View Post
                            I don't usually like to nit pick, but it's spelt 'horse culture'.

Don't they have schools in your neck of the woods?

Comment

Originally posted by Rojik View Post
                              I don't usually like to nit pick, but it's spelt 'horse culture'.

Don't they have schools in your neck of the woods?
                              He went to an Ivy League college. 'nuff said.
                              Human beings are the only creatures on Earth that claim a god and the only living thing that behaves like it hasn't got one - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X