Bridge Collapses in China

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bridge Collapses in China

On Friday, a bridge in NE China's Heilongjiang province collapsed due to shoddy construction. Some officials are claiming overloaded vehicles may have been the cause.
    Nice try but that excuse doesn't add up. In the last 5 years, there have been 13 bridge collapses in China.

Bridge collapses point to deeper hole
    Global Times | 2012-8-24 23:45:05
    By Global Times

The Yangmingtan Bridge in Harbin, which was put into operation less than a year ago, collapsed yesterday. Despite the media uproar following this accident, China has seen 13 similar bridge collapses over the past five years.

It seems logical to conclude that the fast speed that is characteristic of China's construction boom has led to the increasing number of accidents on roads and bridges. But this theory shouldn't be seen as an excuse for these serious accidents.

On the other hand, there are also many bridges that have been used for several decades or even longer in China, while the reliability of both the technologies and the raw materials used in bridge construction ensures their safety. All of the bridge-collapse cases are all, without exception, the result of negligence. Specifically, the blame should be leveled at bad management and oversight during the construction process.

http://www.globaltimes.cn/content/728945.shtml
    Accident details

Time: 5:30 am, August 24
    Place: The Yangmingtan Bridge, Harbin, NE China's Heilongjiang Province
    What happened: A ramp, about 3.5 km from the main body of the Yangmingtan Bridge, tilted to one side and crashed onto the ground
    Casualties: 3 dead and 5 injured

About Yangmingtan Bridge

Length: 15.42 km
    Project cost: 1.88 billion yuan ($ 296 million) Time to open traffic
    2011 Novemer
    Construction period: 18 months, only about half of the planned three years
    "Stand for the flag ~ Kneel for the fallen"

"A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer." ~ Bruce Lee

I shudder to think what could happen in an earthquake, how many other buildings other than bridges could collapse or be condemned.
    "In modern war... you will die like a dog for no good reason."
    Ernest Hemingway.

"The more I learn about people, The more I love my dog".
    Mark Twain.

Comment

Are we really gonna act surprised?
      Flag: USA / Location: West Coast

Prayers.

BoRG

http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/8757/snap1ws8.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PtsX_Z3CMU

Comment

Someone might be real sorry one day... and it could be US.

http://www.factcheck.org/2012/02/did...chinese-firms/
        My worst jump story:
        My 13th jump was on the 13th day of the month, aircraft number 013.
        As recorded on my DA Form 1307 Individual Jump Log.
        No lie.

~
        "Everything looks all right. Have a good jump, eh."
        -2 Commando Jumpmaster

Comment

Not good.

First the ingress of sub standard parts in U.S military equipment and now this.

Comment

I think China has overdone its infrastructure too rapidly. It direly needs it, yes, but I think their workers are beginning to sacrifice quality for speed to get the projects done faster.

Comment

Not surprising but the situation will not improve unless these incidents do get publicized so that the firms and politicians who caused this needless death get publicly identified and publicly punished. Real progress "does not come cheap".
              Any metaphor will tear if stretched over too much reality.

Questions about our site? See the FAQ.

Comment

I think the root problem here is, (of course) corruption. More of these corrupt officials and businessmen should hang (figuratively).
                "We have no white flag."

Comment

Seems like there is no shortage of human organs in the PRC. Once shortage sets in punishments will be forthcoming. It is simply law of supply and demand.

Comment

Originally posted by 101combatvet View Post
                    Someone might be real sorry one day... and it could be US.

http://www.factcheck.org/2012/02/did...chinese-firms/
                    The new Bay Bridge being built here in San Francisco is being built with parts made in China. They purchased Chinese steel and had it shipped here rather than buy U.S. made steel! I am a bit reluctant to drive across that bridge...if they ever finish building it. It's been under construction since 2002...supposed to be finished sometime in 2013.

"A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer." ~ Bruce Lee

Comment

Originally posted by Persephone View Post
                      The new Bay Bridge being built here in San Francisco is being built with parts made in China. They purchased Chinese steel and had it shipped here rather than buy U.S. made steel! I am a bit reluctant to drive across that bridge...if they ever finish building it. It's been under construction since 2002...supposed to be finished sometime in 2013.

Since you mention steel, I read somewhere that the Russians imported Chinese steel for some of their submarine hulls and there were very serious hull failures.

Comment

Originally posted by Slim View Post

Since you mention steel, I read somewhere that the Russians imported Chinese steel for some of their submarine hulls and there were very serious hull failures.
                        I haven't heard this...but I'm not a bit surprised.

Comment

I haven't heard this...but I'm not a bit surprised.

It was the Nerpa -the hull leaked water during trials. and the fault was attributed to steel imported from China
                          http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...lFRxi__OiPS-fw

Comment

The first failure was when the tempory bypass relied on a key part imported from China. This weight bearing part was meant to stay in place for at least two years, yet it failed within 6(?) weeks. And the result of that failure was a new contract for entire new pre-fabricated sections from China for the new span. Somebody got a payout somewhere.
                            Flag: USA / Location: West Coast

Prayers.

BoRG

http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/8757/snap1ws8.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PtsX_Z3CMU

Comment

Originally posted by Salinator View Post
                              The first failure was when the tempory bypass relied on a key part imported from China. This weight bearing part was meant to stay in place for at least two years, yet it failed within 6(?) weeks. And the result of that failure was a new contract for entire new pre-fabricated sections from China for the new span. Somebody got a payout somewhere.
                              Pelosi took a trip to China during that time frame....

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X