Africa to be wound up.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Africa to be wound up.

After several attempts to turn around the ailing content, the UN has decided to wind up Africa and finally close it for business. The current Soccer World Cup was in many ways a last ditch attempt to get the huge landmass out of its long standing Chapter 11 status, but despite the hilarious performance of the French team off the field the brave attempt has been deemed a failure.

The continent formally known as Africa will now be taken over by China as a “Special Economic Zone”.

The question put by the United Nations to the Armchair General Forum is: “what on earth would you do?”.

Prescriptions for the salvation of Africa welcomed.
    What would Occam say?

China might acutally help Africa with all of the newfound trade and best of all China dosn't care who they do buisness with.
    So that's good news for all you African dictators & tyrants.
    ´
    “You need to help people. I know it's not very Republican to say but you need to help people.” DONALD TRUMP, 2016

Comment

Originally posted by Jonathanrex1 View Post
      China might acutally help Africa with all of the newfound trade and best of all China dosn't care who they do buisness with.
      A mariage made in heaven if you ask me.
      What would Occam say?

Comment

You mean this continent here?

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/06/24/wo.../24africa.html
        Ha, wie so stolz und hehr
        Wirft über Land und Meer
        Weithin der deutsche Aar
        Flammenden Blick.

Comment

Unlike the West....which has always scrupulously avoided doing business with dictators and tyrants....

Comment

Originally posted by skoblin View Post
            Unlike the West....which has always scrupulously avoided doing business with dictators and tyrants....

Damned if we tell the Africans what to do and damned if we don't.

Unless the Marxists are the only Western influence being forced on them of course. Chinese Marxism even avoids the whole European guilt over imperialism.
            "I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
            George Mason
            Co-author of the Second Amendment
            during Virginia’s Convention to Ratify the Constitution, 1788

Comment

Like most things people generalise. A number of countries in Africa are doing badly, some are OK. I think Uganda relatively and Tanzania aren't doing too badly.

Like in my disagreements with the followers of Stalin (aka David Nicholson) a number of small problems are easier to deal with than one big one.
              "To be free is better than to be unfree - always."

Comment

Interesting point - is there actually an "Africa" problem or is there no real continent wide issue but just a collection of local situations?
                What would Occam say?

Comment

The Northen "Arab" part of Africa (excluding Sudan) is doing quite well along with the nation of South Africa but the rest of Africa as far as I can see is still in pretty bad shape with Somalia being the hole of it all.
                  Though with increasing China investment it might get better.
                  ´
                  “You need to help people. I know it's not very Republican to say but you need to help people.” DONALD TRUMP, 2016

Comment

I'm pretty sure the PRC would be quite glad to set foot in the Dark continent and spread it's influence exponentially. Maybe even become the next econo-colonial power? They would relish having two or three states switch over to Chinese-backed People's Republics when everyone thinks communist expansionism is good for history books.

That article sounds more like what someone would say to a mortally wounded patient to keep his morale up. Everything is going to work out, the reports are optimistic, you're gonna make it...
                    Radio Paris Ment...
                    Radio Paris Ment...
                    Radio Paris est Allemand...

- Radio London opening intro

Comment

Corruption is the problem in most of Africa. Next to that nothing else matters.
                      Look at the transformation that has taken place in Rwanda over the last 15 years simply by rooting out corruption. An amazing country led by an amazing man.
                      "The thing about quotes on the internet is that you cannot confirm their
                      validity." - Abraham Lincoln.
                      "Nothing's going to change while one side it lying about the cause and the other is lying about the solution" - Me

Comment

Its a valid argument this and one I have often had discussions about. Why is it that Black Africa can get nothing right whilst areas where Europeans are found to be in, there seems to be progress and something of a glimmer of hope? The only answer I can find that makes any sense is that the Black peoples, by and large, were dragged forward by the colonial powers, pretty much against their will, from a very tribal type of community forward into the future that we had in the "civilised" nations of the time.

Then, after WWII, the colonials had to pull out willy nilly, and left a power vacuum that was filled by people intent on filling their own pockets and to hell with the rest. Because a democratic culture was neither encouraged nor in place at the time of withdrawal, what did everybody expect to happen? The natives were excluded from any forms of government (to a large extent) and so had **** poor experience in running and then maintaining a viable democracy.

This led to huge corruption the continent over, which, I must just add, is not exclusively the domain of the Blacks on the continent, but was practiced by every other race and culture too.

Then developed cultures or nations got the guilt complex and thought that by dishing out handouts, they could assuage that guilt and hope that everything would turn out for the better, clearly misunderstanding the African culture yet again - they should be thankful for that help, no?

We Africans need to develop ourselves, and our countries, and we will not get this done through handouts, but through hard work and trial and error. We lack this experience that democracies of old have in dealing with power and government, but we are beginning, just beginning, to get there, as can be witnessed by the decrease in savage civil wars and violence the continent over. Not there yet, yes, but we are turning, and we will take every cent of investment that we can to help us build up viable, profitable governments that thrive on democracy - remember, Europe had democracy for centuries before it came to Africa, so we are some way off, but getting there.

Anyway, thats my two cents worth - just do not write us off yet, we have the power to surprise.

Comment

Originally posted by billscottmorri View Post
                          After several attempts to turn around the ailing content, the UN has decided to wind up Africa and finally close it for business. The current Soccer World Cup was in many ways a last ditch attempt to get the huge landmass out of its long standing Chapter 11 status, but despite the hilarious performance of the French team off the field the brave attempt has been deemed a failure.
                          By who? The Scots?

Comment

Originally posted by surfinbird View Post
                            I'm pretty sure the PRC would be quite glad to set foot in the Dark continent and spread it's influence exponentially. Maybe even become the next econo-colonial power? They would relish having two or three states switch over to Chinese-backed People's Republics when everyone thinks communist expansionism is good for history books.

That article sounds more like what someone would say to a mortally wounded patient to keep his morale up. Everything is going to work out, the reports are optimistic, you're gonna make it...
                            Well, if China is still seen as the red devil of Communism, I am surprised.

Apart from that, we have come a long way and continue to go a long way. My apologies to all of you who live in an inherited first world country, that we live on a continent which we did not inherit in such good condition, but which we at least are working towards.

It is very easy to criticise and make judgement about which you know little, much harder to actually lift a finger and make a difference. Clearly the NY Times knows sweet diddly SHT and should have hired your services for this article, someone who must obviously know so much more than their naive reporter.

Comment

To add to MeenMutha’s excellent post it should be remembered that Europe went through nearly 400 years of almost continuous warfare before the modern nation states were properly established.
                              It should also be noted that while nominal independence was granted in the 40’s, 50’s and 60’s the local economies were still dominated by the former colonial master and in many cases client governments had been installed at independence to maintain the status quo and who were dependent on the former colonial power for survival. This makes sense since for hundreds of years up to the 1860’s no European powers wanted to colonise African lands, they just wanted to control the costal trade. If is wasn’t for the Kaiser playing France and Britain off against each other and the Italians puffing themselves up with notions of self-importance I doubt the Scramble of the 1860’d to the 1900’s would have taken place at all since no colonies were economically viable (other than Leopold’s Congo and the French Congo, both run on slave labour and mass murder).

Add to the above the fact that the Cold War was fought by proxy as a hot war in much of Africa and the domino effect that had on fledgling nations and it’s a miracle that countries like Senegal, Batswana, South Africa and Tanzania have been so stable for so long.
                              In my opinion most of sub-Saharan Africa only gained meaningful independence in the 1990’s.
                              "The thing about quotes on the internet is that you cannot confirm their
                              validity." - Abraham Lincoln.
                              "Nothing's going to change while one side it lying about the cause and the other is lying about the solution" - Me

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X