X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Zimbabwe siezes US cargo plane.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/3543651.stm
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    A US-registered cargo plane with 64 suspected mercenaries on board has been impounded in Harare, Zimbabwe's Home Affairs Minister Kembo Mohadi has said.
    The Boeing 727-100 was held on Sunday after it had "made a false declaration of its cargo and crew," Mr Mohadi said.

He said the plane was carrying mercenaries of differing nationalities and "military material".

A spokeswoman from the US embassy in the Zimbabwean capital could not confirm or deny the reports.

Mr Mohadi told a news conference that the plane was detained at 1930 local time (1730GMT) at Harare International Airport.

He said the plane was carrying "64 suspected mercenaries of various nationalities". and "military material".

Inquiry

The minister said an investigation was under way to establish the men's identities and their "ultimate mission".

Journalists were not able to see the plane as Mr Mohadi said it had been moved to a military base.

It was also not immediately clear what has happened to those on board the plane.

The BBC is banned from entering Zimbabwe and so its correspondents were not at the news conference.

Alistair Leithead, reporting from South Africa, said there was no independent verification of the government's claims.

The US embassy in Harare said the Zimbabwean Government had not communicated with them about the plane.

Our correspondent said the incident was "intriguing", given that Zimbabwean President Robert Mugabe has repeatedly accused the US and Britain of plotting to overthrow him.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------

Gulf ol tolkin says the conspiracy theorist, another haiti waiting to happan.

But doesnt everyone want to get rid of ''mr mugabe who earns just 20.000usd a year''??
    French Soldier: You don't frighten us, English pig dogs. Go and boil your bottoms, you sons of a silly person. I blow my nose at you, so-called "Arthur King," you and all your silly English K-nig-hts.

It is strange to see a plane at the Harare airport full of mercernaries and more than that full of weapons. Was it not more easy to cross the frontier by the land, from another country ?

LaPalice.
    Monsieur de La Palice est mort
    Mort devant Pavie.
    Un quart d'heure avant sa mort
    Il était encore en vie...

Comment

yeah, heheh.....it sounds fabricated.....and the bbc isnt allowed in there anyway..
      French Soldier: You don't frighten us, English pig dogs. Go and boil your bottoms, you sons of a silly person. I blow my nose at you, so-called "Arthur King," you and all your silly English K-nig-hts.

Comment

Originally posted by screamer
        yeah, heheh.....it sounds fabricated.....and the bbc isnt allowed in there anyway..
        Well, in fact I don't see the intention. What would they want to fabricate exactly ?

LaPalice.
        Mort devant Pavie.

Comment

mmh, zimbabwe refuses banana export too the US.
          or bush just thinks mugabe is ugly.

hell i don't know, according to the test im a conspiracy theorist

Comment

Originally posted by LaPalice
            Well, in fact I don't see the intention. What would they want to fabricate exactly ?

LaPalice.
            Well the presence of American mercs could soften the negative image which has increasingly become a problem for Zimbabwe's President Robert Mugabe. The UK has been at the forefront of the EU effort to isolate the local government. And since the UK's partner in crime,......er, I mean allie is the US, this might improve Mugabe's position.

Of course, even if it proves true, the US will deny it and might go further to suggest Chirac and Mugabe are conspiraring to undermine the UK and EU for self-serving goals, such as improved trade relations. Chirac did ruffle feathers last year when he sought a temporary travel ban exemption to allow Mugabe to attend a summit in Paris.

So it can be as simple, or complicated as one wishes to see it. The poor track record of the countries likely involved in the incident makes anything possible.
            "As soon as men decide that all means are permitted to fight an evil, then their good becomes indistinguishable from the evil that they set out to destroy."-Christopher Dawson - The Judgement of Nations, 1942

Comment

well, looks like CHOGM isn't the only one after Mugabe...
              Now listening too;
              - Russell Robertson, ruining whatever credibility my football team once had.

Comment

Originally posted by Deltapooh
                Of course, even if it proves true, the US will deny it and might go further to suggest Chirac and Mugabe are conspiraring to undermine the UK and EU for self-serving goals, such as improved trade relations. Chirac did ruffle feathers last year when he sought a temporary travel ban exemption to allow Mugabe to attend a summit in Paris.
                Chirac invited Mugabe in Paris because it was necessary in the Ivory Coast affair. France needed the help of the African heads of state to impose accords to the Ivorian president. They were right to help only if Mugabe wasn't boycotted. You know that if Blair doesn't like Mugabe, it is not the case of the African heads of state who weren't pleased to see Zimbabwe banned of the Commonwealth.

LaPalice.
                Mort devant Pavie.

Comment

Darn, I was hoping to see Mugabe's head on a stake....
                  "Have you forgotten the face of your father?"

Comment

I saw a picture of the alleged military equippment and giant pliers or wire cutters were in the center of attention in that photograph. I know you can use them to cut through fence on an infiltration mission but come on, don't they have anything better?

P.S. I found the picture I was talking about so I came back to my post and added it.
                    Last edited by MonsterZero; 09 Mar 04, 15:55.

"Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a ugly brawl."
                    --Frederick II, King of Prussia

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                    X