Protests in Burundi

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Protests in Burundi

BBC World Service is reporting the capital of Burundi had a protest today, with people reportedly "singing and dancing", in protest over "Rwandan interfearence in Burundian affairs".

The claim is that the Rwandans are arming and training Burundian refugees, with the intent of sending them back across the border.

The timing of this "protest" is interesting, as less than a week ago, the greatly unpopular President announced he would stand for a third term. With the election looming, the Burundian army attacking their own people, this "protest" sounds like a "put on", in an attempt to deflect observers from the real issue, the unpopularity of the regime in power.

With round figures of 100,000 refugees sitting in Rwanda already, someone must be scaring the people of Burundi whitless.

And its certainly NOT the Rwandan army.

I make the call again. Send the peacekeepers in over the protests of the government in power. the coming election will be a bigger bloodbath than is already occurring.

Africans need to act soon.
    Last edited by Drusus Nero; 13 Feb 16, 11:11.
    My Articles, ALMOST LIVE, exclusive to The Armchair!

Soviet Submarines in WW2....The Mythology of Shiloh....(Edited) Both Sides of the Warsaw Ghetto
    GULAG Glossary....Who Really Killed The Red Baron?....Pearl Harbor At 75
    Lincoln-Douglas Debates

Rawanda has a habit of doing thinks like this. They supported and backed M23

A hostile act by these refugees could back fire by making the government a victim.
    you think you a real "bleep" solders you "bleep" plastic solders don't wory i will make you in to real "bleep" solders!! "bleep" plastic solders

CPO Mzinyati

Comment

Putting peacekeekers in, my dear Andrew, is NOT a 'hostile" act.

Yep, lets watch another African country go to the dogs from the indifference of other Africans...yet again.

Same old story.

And all this is "whitey's" fault?

Soviet Submarines in WW2....The Mythology of Shiloh....(Edited) Both Sides of the Warsaw Ghetto
      Lincoln-Douglas Debates

Comment

You want to discuss this form some kind of racial point of view, or what is your point?
        Wisdom is personal

Comment

My point sir, is that Burundi is obviously in dire straits. We have reports of the Burundian Army turning on certain sections of their own community.

It's Presient, who is about to "run" another forced election for the third term in a row, has told whatever august body that "peacekeepers" are "not needed", even though 100,000 refugees sit in Rwanda.

Protests by so called "supporters" have only protested something suspiciously sounding like something a governemnt would protest about, not the people themselves, leading to the conclusion that the "protesters" are government "agent", or paid in food or other commodities to "protest".

Burundi is obviously in trouble.

And the African Union is silent. Only the BBC alludes to the disaster looming there.

Burundi needs help.

Someone ought to realise this before many other people die.

Lincoln-Douglas Debates

Comment

Wether they in trouble or not. We cant seend in peacekeepers. It wont be a peac keeping operastion. It will be a invasion. No one really wants to invade Burundi. Invasions costs money, resources and lives.
            you think you a real "bleep" solders you "bleep" plastic solders don't wory i will make you in to real "bleep" solders!! "bleep" plastic solders

CPO Mzinyati

Comment

I cry for the peole of Burundi. I heard a Ugandan panel on the BBC tonight, talking about the issues in the upcoming election.

One of their major criticisms of African leaders is their inability to relinquish the power and move on. Too many of them hang on for grim death, and thats usually what it takes to remove them as well..

Uganda's present leader has been in power for THIRTY YEARS, longer than josef Stalin. And the Ugandan panel were at odds with each other, all intellectuals mind you, and very much disagreeing on what should be the major focus of the election,.

The one thing they all DID agree on was that the election wasn't going to be "above board". It will be 'rigged' as all the previous one's were.

It frustrates me, genrally, to hear of these things. Africa could be so much more than just disgraceful politics. I like the people, but really HATE the powerbrokers.

I don't doubt for a minute, Mr andrew, that you feel the same way on that issue.

Lincoln-Douglas Debates

Comment

South African president's stand down after there 2 terms. It not a African issue just a issue for some African countries

CPO Mzinyati

Comment

Originally posted by Drusus Nero View Post
                  Putting peacekeekers in, my dear Andrew, is NOT a 'hostile" act.
                  It usually is to one of the sides.
                  "I don't discuss sitting presidents," Mattis tells NPR in an interview. "I believe that you owe a period of quiet."

Comment

Hostility shown to a Peackeeping Mission reveals that faction doing the complaining as the morally bankrupt end of the argument.

Further, Peacekeepers should be sent to Burundi before all the wholesale bloodshed begins.

Far too many Peacekeeping Missions are sent in after the killing is already done and dusted..

The refugees tell the story that something is rotten in the State of Burundi. The casual refusal of a "mission" further confirms it.

One really only has to read between the lines. People holding onto power are usually tranparent by their descision making process. Observing all the niceties of international politics is ridiculous when the man in power has done no such thing, generally speaking.

Lincoln-Douglas Debates

Comment

Hostility shown to a Peackeeping Mission reveals that faction doing the complaining as the morally bankrupt end of the argument.
                      Not necessarily, sometimes the Peacekeepers turn out to be criminals.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/s...ublic-36953605
                      "I don't discuss sitting presidents," Mattis tells NPR in an interview. "I believe that you owe a period of quiet."

Comment

Further, Peacekeepers should be sent to Burundi before all the wholesale bloodshed begins.

Far too many Peacekeeping Missions are sent in after the killing is already done and dusted..

The refugees tell the story that something is rotten in the State of Burundi. The casual refusal of a "mission" further confirms it.

One really only has to read between the lines. People holding onto power are usually tranparent by their descision making process. Observing all the niceties of international politics is ridiculous when the man in power has done no such thing, generally speaking.

One mans terrorist is another mans freedom fighter. One mans peacekeeper is another mans occupation force.

Last time the region had whole sale blood shed was Rwanda. Peace keapers watched it happen.

Ever wonderd why.

Sure its rotten. But it would require force to force the issue. Diplomatic pressure can still win the day.

CPO Mzinyati

Comment

Originally posted by Nichols View Post
                          It usually is to one of the sides.
                          Or its not and thry watch as one side butchers the other.

CPO Mzinyati

Comment

Originally posted by andrewza View Post
                            Or its not and thry watch as one side butchers the other.
                            That's why I posted "usually" Rwanda is one of the few exceptions.

Comment

Who cares how they appear to the protagonists.

It is the welfare of the people that get cought in the middle that matters.

consistently listening to power brokers with all the weapons is nothing more than making excuses.

Burundi needs help, not platatudes and promises.

If the UN won't, the the Union should. Who wants another Uganda/Rwanda/biafra/Congo....the list always gets bigger.

Ethiopia seems to be having a go at doing something to modernise, and no excuses from them. The nub of their problem is lack of willing investors, who will give all the educated Ethipians a chance. The Chinese are going to economically control Africa due to this mass indifference from Africans themselves.

Australia is already asking questions about Chinese investment. Africa should be vigilant as well.

Lincoln-Douglas Debates

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X