Ancient Manuscripts of Mali

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ancient Manuscripts of Mali

Manuscripts that were smuggled out before Islamic extremists overtook Timbuktu and northern Mali in 2012, are now falling apart due to exposure to moisture. Thousands of manuscripts were destroyed when al-Qaida linked fighters set the Ahmed Baba Institute of Higher Learning and Islamic Research on fire. There are 27,000 manuscripts left and they must be saved.

UNESCO will be discussing ways to preserve the ancient manuscripts and their eventual return to Timbuktu at their next conference 1st of Feb. But it will stay where they are now for a while longer as al-Qaida in the Islamic Maghreb is trying to reclaim territory in the region. AQIM staged a number of attacks in recent months.

The manuscripts are currently in Bamako, Mali's capital in the south.

International Conference on Ancient Manuscripts of Mali
    http://en.unesco.org/events/internat...nuscripts-mali

This situation would seem as if it should have all Africans up in arms. Timbuktu and the civilization in Mali is something they are understandably proud of.
    "I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
    George Mason
    Co-author of the Second Amendment
    during Virginia’s Convention to Ratify the Constitution, 1788

Comment

So, photocopiers and scanners are not available in Mali?
      Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.

Comment

Making digital copies is a great start but I'm sure they would like to save & preserve the actual manuscripts...if possible.
        "Stand for the flag ~ Kneel for the fallen"

"A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer." ~ Bruce Lee

Comment

Exactly. I have a friend whose Masters project in History was to scan a bunch of hides with Medieval records from various churches in southern England. They wanted to save the originals but scanned them as well because storage was such an issue.
          "I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
          George Mason
          Co-author of the Second Amendment
          during Virginia’s Convention to Ratify the Constitution, 1788

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
          X